First 'proper' bike...

richhemmings
richhemmings Posts: 18
edited January 2013 in MTB buying advice
Hi all,

Just looking for a few bits of advice/tips/pointers....
I'm not 100% new to mbk'ing, having done it this year to try and keep fit ... but has been pretty casual... frequent 6 mi sprints, the odd 20mi XC afternoon, and a few trips to Box Woods...

I want to get a new mountain bike as I'm really enjoying riding a lot more at the mo, and will likely be taking it up a bit more seriously next year (bye-bye beer belly!)
I've currently got a 10(?) year old Saracen X-Ile which although I've spent a bit on it this year is set to die if I give it a lot more use in 2013 (forks have all but given up, sprocket teeth are rounded, the rear axle is a little .. ahem .. bent, and the wheels just aren't quiet true :P ) - loved, but used well.

What should I be looking for? I know now is probs a good time to buy, given that last years models are being reduced heavily.

I'm drawn to the Cube range, particularly the AMS 130 Pro, rather than the Race for price/spec balance.
... Plus they look cool. :wink:

Generally the range seems well spec'ed and these two have pretty rave reviews online.

I'll be using it for some medium/long rides around my local area (Cherhill, Bristol etc) and probably a few weekend trail-riding trips to Wales.
I guess I'm looking for something that will let me enjoy the hobby, while not becoming obsolete in a one/two years time.

Thoughts/feelings/strange rashes?

Thanks in advance,

Rich

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Budget?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • £1200 - £1700, but if anyone has any good suggestions for more budget bikes, I'd consider them too... needs to be good quality and stand the test of time!
  • ... or as much as is appropriate... some friends have suggested a hard tail around £500 would be the better place to start... just looking for advice/ any pointers really...

Rich
  • The Rookie
    Spend what you want to spend!
    For £500 the RR 8.1 (Decathlon) or Voodoo Hoodoo (Halfords) are the go to choices, for just under £1000 in a recent group test MBUK rated the KHS(Alite ?) and Boardman team (Halfords again) as being excellent, the Alite being slightly more XC 'almost race' orientated the Boardman being more trail orientated.

Any of those will be a massive jump up from your Saracen.

Once you get upto circa £1500 the choice explodes as the bikes have very different characters, and until you know what you want it would be almost impossible to suggest a bike!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Have you looked into really saving some cash and using, if applicable, a cycle to work scheme? Just ordered a Boardman MB pro, £1000 worth of bike and I think in all it's going to hit me for £580 over 3 years....
  • Yea, we have a cycle to work scheme, but the cube's I mentioned are excluded from the programme... thanks for the comments chaps, keep em coming!!
  • The Rookie
    What scheme/retailer is your employer limiting you to?
  • So ... I went shopping at the weekend...
    The chaps at my local bike shop were keen on the Whyte range... but I noticed they only have 2x9 gearsets ... is this a more comp-focussed setup?

Went to giant and they won't have the Talon 1 for another 3 months (my fav so far - http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-gb/bikes/model/talon/11858/56883/ ) but they showed me the XTC, which I think has just become the Talon 1 for 2013, as the spec looks more or less the same, while the XTC for 2013 has a carbon frame..?? I digress :) ... the XTC was good to sit on, and felt like a good fit.

also... steel fork uppers vs alu uppers.. ? Weight? Or is there a handling advantage?
    annnd finally... should I be looking at forks that support hub upgrades to bolt through axles...? Local bike shop showed me a Whyte 901 that had bolt thru's and said they were far superior to normal QR9's but from a bit of research I think I'll need forks that support QR15 to ever get this?

Thanks all,

Rich
  • chrisw333
    chrisw333 Posts: 695
    Whyte are excellent bikes, albeit a bit pricey. Which models were you looking at?
  • I'm looking in general at the mo. .. really like the 2012 cube ams 130 pro ... but seems these are all sold out! The whytes in my price range are the 901 and 905... but I'm not committed to half/full sus yet.

What's the word on sram running gear? I've always thought of shimano as my preferance but have no reason for this :P
  • chrisw333
    chrisw333 Posts: 695
    Most people on here seem to prefer Shimano.

I have Sram on my Whyte 905 (moving from Shimano Deore on my old Rockhopper) and after getting used to it I find it excellent. Never tried XT though, so can't compare directly.

If you're interested in Whyte the prices here on the older 2010 & 2011 frames (but note different spec to original stock models) are very good. It's the ex demo section, but most are brand new.
    http://online.atb-sales.co.uk/c-44-ex-demo.aspx
  • The Rookie
    I have X0/X9 on my commuter and SRAM Rocket/XT on the MTB, personally I prefer the faster shifts with SRAM although the XT is more reliable (in less clement conditions!).

Fork uppers, steel weighs more but is cheaper, unless your downhilling any slight durability improvement is irrelevant.
  • wow.. great spot - the specs are diff... but for the cheddar seem pretty darn good! the 905 looks great!
  • Sooo... update - went and test rode a Whyte 905 .. lovely. Had a go on a medium frame, but think a small will be my preference (none in stock today) ... I wasn't too keen on the SRAM shifters, and found the shifting a bit grabby... but loving the Fox Float Evos with 3xprogressive lockout.

Price is a bit of an issue on the 2013 model.....
  • The Rookie
    ... I wasn't too keen on the SRAM shifters, and found the shifting a bit grabby...
    Some would call it positive!
  • ... I wasn't too keen on the SRAM shifters, and found the shifting a bit grabby...
    Some would call it positive!

hehe :D
    they were direct enough, but found a bit of leg jarring during a block shift... :wink:
  • 2012 AMS 130 Pro isn't an option any more... cant get one :P ... and leaning back towards the Talon 1 on the cycle to work scheme...
  • Hey all,

Just thought I'd follow up for anyone else looking to get either of these -

I went for the Talon 1 and although I've only been riding it a few weeks now, I absolutely love it.
    Granted its a big step up from my previous bike, and I'm by no means an authority on bikes, but it rides smooth, is comfortable in most situations and eats the miles with ease (this, coming from a 5ft6 12st guy!)
    The spec seems good from all my research, and although I wasn't a fan of the poploc remote at first, I'm enjoying it now. (seemed fiddly to lock into place when it arrived -- sorted with a squirt of trusty ol' WD40 :P )

HTH someone.

Rich
  • Cogsy1976
    Cogsy1976 Posts: 143
    Good shout with the Talon's I used to have two, great frame made for UK trails if I remember rightly! your just up the road from me as well, Hardtail is perfect around Wiltshire have fun :)