new brake cable?

Moominman2
Moominman2 Posts: 389
edited January 2013 in Workshop
This is for my 90s Raleigh. The brakes are terrible...they barely pull. Also they don't really release.

Do I need to replace the cable? Will this make a big difference?

What should I look at?

Cheers
Luke

Comments

• keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    You need to be able to tell if the drag / sticking is due to the lever and cable or due to the caliper itself.

Disconnect the cable at the caliper clamp bolt. Now pull the lever. Is there any resistance? Does the lever return when you release it? (not neccessarily a bad thing if it doesn't, some levers don't contain a return spring)

Next squeeze the caliper by hand. Does it move freely? Does it return once released?
  • Spot on from keef66 but chekc if its inner (wire) cable or outer thats sticky if its not levers or caliper itself - if you don't know that suggests you don't know when it was last changed so probably best change both inner and outer. Its cheap if you already have snips or can borrow a pair.
  • Cheers both for the advice. The callipers return after squeezing them fine. So I guess its the lever and cable...now I need some advice on what cable to get for my raleigh :) im poor with this stuff but surely its not just a cheap £ 2 cable job? Or is it?

Thanks

Luke
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Inners are cheap - cable sets more expensive.

However, it's probably cheaper to buy a set than inners and then outers at a later date so swings and roundabouts. You can certainly try a new inner in the original outers. My Dawes has about 15000 miles in all sorts of weathers on it and is still on the original 23 year old brake outers for the front and rear mech :lol:

LBS charged me about £5 for inner cables only for front and rear shifters for my Ribble. For my Orange I paid £20 or so for a full cable set of gear shifter inners, outers and ferrules. These were LBS prices so online should be cheaper.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    If you have that much resistance from the cable then I'd suggest replacing the inner and outer cables. You can get a 'Premium' Clarkes set from Halfords for a tenner. Includes two inner wires and enough outer for front and back brakes, plus all the ferrules and end caps.

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... yId_273959

You do need to be able to cut them to the correct lengths though, Inners and outers. And to leave the ends clean and without squashing them. You need a decent pair of cable cutters or a Dremel with a cutting wheel, and then a file to remove any burrs and something pointy to poke into the cut end of the outer to ensure it is round
  • Where are you based Luke? If your near Darlington your near me and you would be welcome to pop round for help to fit new inners and outers (just love using my Park snips - so satisfying - and I don't get enough chances on my own bike!).
  • Cheers for the replies folks! I'll buy a cable set tomorrow...possibly that one from halfords if my LBS is expensive.

Ahhh thanks for offering to help me sort this out mate :) Very kind of you! However, I'm down South in Kent! D'oh. Cheers though.

Luke
  • Moominman2 wrote:
    Cheers for the replies folks! I'll buy a cable set tomorrow...possibly that one from halfords if my LBS is expensive.

Ahhh thanks for offering to help me sort this out mate :) Very kind of you! However, I'm down South in Kent! D'oh. Cheers though.

Luke

Ahh well save the cost of travel to Darlo and buy yourself a Park tools cable cutter - lovley things!
  • Haha you love it that much? Will have a look :P