Puerto trial

sherer
sherer Posts: 2,460
edited September 2019 in Pro race
Couldn't see a thread on this but the joke of a trial into Fuentes \ Puerto started yesterday

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/delays- ... to-hearing

Seems Fuentes is going to speak today but the Spanish have already said that this only centres on cyclists and no other sports will be named. Seems a waste of public money to only half look into something

Comments

• ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    ...another "Yay Spain" moment....
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,243
    Made it on itv news. Their focus was on the possible tennis and football names.
  • ddraver
    Should have made you feel better about cycling's popularity Rick...
    - @ddraver
  • its right that the media are picking up on Spain covering up for the tennis players and footballers - and God knows they've tried to get it shut down on the cycling front ever since 06
  • Apparently the Spanish AD chief (new bod, determined to kick ar%s in Spain and bring their AD up to standard, she's causing big waves in Spain) has said that they're pressing that blood bags be released for analysis - judge could decide today
  • r0bh
    r0bh Posts: 2,163
    Channel 4 news have been all over this too: http://blogs.channel4.com/keme-nzerem-o ... icated/520
  • Jez mon
    Jez mon Posts: 3,809
    Whilst its great that other sports are getting a bit of heat, I can't help but feel this is just a tad late. Not to get accused of sounding like a Lance Armstrong lawyer again, but surely there are new blood doping rings/methods/doctors to bust?

I realise that this is a criminal investigation now, and not in the hands of the AD bodies, but by the sounds of Richmond Racer's post, the anti doping body still wish to be involved.
    You live and learn. At any rate, you live
  • Jez mon wrote:
    Whilst its great that other sports are getting a bit of heat, I can't help but feel this is just a tad late. Not to get accused of sounding like a Lance Armstrong lawyer again, but surely there are new blood doping rings/methods/doctors to bust?

I realise that this is a criminal investigation now, and not in the hands of the AD bodies, but by the sounds of Richmond Racer's post, the anti doping body still wish to be involved.

That's Spanish justice for you. But surely better that people get tried albeit late, than get away with it altogether? Plus the Spanish police and WADA have fought tooth and nail to ensure that this didnt get buried by the Spanish authorities. I think their efforts shouldnt go unwasted.

And it seems that the Spanish are making efforts now - the busting of the UCI chaperone last week, for starters.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    Jez mon wrote:

That's Spanish justice for you. But surely better that people get tried albeit late, than get away with it altogether? Plus the Spanish police and WADA have fought tooth and nail to ensure that this didnt get buried by the Spanish authorities. I think their efforts shouldnt go unwasted.

And it seems that the Spanish are making efforts now - the busting of the UCI chaperone last week, for starters.

Madrid are in the running for the 2020 Olympics (currently seen as third place of three), so they have to be seen to be making an effort, but also have to make sure they don't actually uncover anything.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • tweet from journo in the courtroom:

'Jack-hammers drowning out testimony of Fuentes in OP hearing'

Swear to god, you ccouldnt make this stuff up
  • rozzer32
    rozzer32 Posts: 3,823
    Fuentes has admitted to working with football players too.
    ***** Pro Tour Pundit Champion 2020, 2018, 2017 & 2011 *****
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,439
    rozzer32 wrote:

Read a bit on inrng this morning about this, there's a rumour that he received threats, after he was busted and is reluctant to talk. Which isn't beyond the realms of possibility, there's a lot of money in football.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • and he's admitting to working with boxers and athletes too....come on Ufe, spill about the tennis players as well..
  • sherer
    sherer Posts: 2,460
    prawny wrote:
    rozzer32 wrote:

Read a bit on inrng this morning about this, there's a rumour that he received threats, after he was busted and is reluctant to talk. Which isn't beyond the realms of possibility, there's a lot of money in football.

Fuentes himself has said he received death threats 3 times from football clubs and there won't be a 4th time.

Great that his admitted this in public but we all know at the time FIFA and UEFA ignored this which is another issue that needs to be looked into. When your sport is linked to a doping scandal it needs to be investigated not swept under the carpet
  • thegibdog
    thegibdog Posts: 2,106
    r0bh wrote:
    Channel 4 news have been all over this too: http://blogs.channel4.com/keme-nzerem-o ... icated/520
    Interesting that the headline mentions "Spanish football" whilst the article talks about "the discredited world of the professional peleton". Seems happy to use broad brush strokes for cycling but not willing to contemplate that football may have a problem beyond Spain.
  • Eufe admits to doping Heras, Osa and Botero
  • ddraver
    Careful! Does he? or does he admit to knowing them...?
    - @ddraver
  • LeicesterLad
    LeicesterLad Posts: 3,908
    I'm trying to follow update on twitter, though it appears there isn't anybody who speaks English within the vicinity of the trial. :(
  • ddraver
    Tour de Jose's doing ok ish....
    - @ddraver
  • LeicesterLad
    ddraver wrote:
    Tour de Jose's doing ok ish....

90% of her tweets are in Dutch though, especially the juciy ones.
  • ddraver
    Oh ok...saw a few in english, but had to go back to work...
    - @ddraver
  • ddraver
    "I was never their trainer, I used only medical means"

Schleck the elder quivers....

Judge - why did you have a carton of EPO in you house
    EFO - It was for my daughter, who has cancer
    - @ddraver
  • ddraver
    There's an interview with Jorg Jackshe on the world service with News hour - can't post a link but I'm sure a google search would find it soon enough. It's on soundcloud
    - @ddraver
  • I'm trying to follow update on twitter, though it appears there isn't anybody who speaks English within the vicinity of the trial. :(

Alternatives for Engleesh: @eurohoody and @MikeKaltoft
  • LeicesterLad
    I'm trying to follow update on twitter, though it appears there isn't anybody who speaks English within the vicinity of the trial. :(

Alternatives for Engleesh: @eurohoody and @MikeKaltoft

Cheers me dears.
  • Turfle
    Turfle Posts: 3,762
    And in America:

http://www.miaminewtimes.com/2013-01-31 ... est-names/

Sportsmen listed among the clients of an anti-aging company. "The records are clear in describing the firm's real business: selling performance-enhancing drugs, from human growth hormone (HGH) to testosterone to anabolic steroids."
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    the Inner Ring ‏@inrng
    "I was never their trainer, I used only medial means..." Dr Fuentes contradicts the legendary "training plans" line used by Frank Schleck
    Contador is the Greatest
  • ddraver
    Way ahead of you Frenchie!
    - @ddraver
  • LeicesterLad
    the Inner Ring ‏@inrng
    "I was never their trainer, I used only medial means..." Dr Fuentes contradicts the legendary "training plans" line used by Frank Schleck

Keep up man! :wink: