Newbie shedding weight of a new whyte 805

paulmccormick
paulmccormick Posts: 2
edited January 2013 in MTB beginners
Hello all,
I've just bought a new mountain bike a whyte 805 and I am now looking to shed as much weight from the bike as possible but on a budget ideally starting with the cheaper stuff and then working my way up. I was just wondering what the best way to go about it is and are there any obvious places to look on the bike for easy wins, any ideas would be gratefully accepted. Thanks:D

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Listing spec and giving a budget would help.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • What are the reasons for losing the weight? If it is for speed, lighter tyres with less rolling resistance are the first place to start.
    Then I would just wait to replace the rest with lighter kit as it wears out or breaks.
    For the amount of money you will have to spend vs the weight saving, it isn't worth changing it now.
    2007 Felt Q720 (the ratbike)
    2012 Cube Ltd SL (the hardtail XC 26er)
    2014 Lapierre Zesty TR 329 (the full-sus 29er)
  • The Spiderman
    The Spiderman Posts: 5,625
    edited January 2013
    First of all weigh the components you are thinking of changing then check actual weights of the replacement parts on websites such as weight weenie or bike scale.

Too often the new parts don't yield the weight saving you wish for.

Cheap and effective weight savings can be achieved by fitting lighter inner tubes and foam grips. Swapping to a lighter XT cassette when the current one wears out is another good measure.

Anyway feel free to post up the current one spec of your bike and we will see you if I can give you some pointers.

I have a lot of experience in making bikes lighter not all good so hope you can learn from from my mistakes......... ;-)

Still by far the best for upgrade for me is a pair of lighter wheels.
    2006 Giant XTC
    2010 Giant Defy Advanced
    2016 Boardman Pro 29er
    2016 Pinnacle Lithium 4
    2017 Canondale Supersix Evo
  • As above, plus lose weight and get fitter ;)