high winds and rain

Azhar
Azhar Posts: 247
edited January 2013 in Commuting general
Hello All,

Commuting to work (32miles round trip), for the first time this year, tomorrow. i havent commuted to work for 3 months and the most cycling i;ve done is 15 miles and that was achieved only once during those 3 months. combination of wintery weather and laziness were the reason. its forecasted to be 20mph winds and rain in the afternoon when i commute back. what i'm bothered about is how windy it is. do cyclists generally cycle in this awful weather, especially when there is a 20mph headwind? cant make my mind up if i should commute tomorrow or maybe leave it till next week when it calms down a little more....

thanks peeps :)

Comments

• i must admit its the wind that i hate & stops me cycling in . Tomorrow/ rest of week looks nasty :(
  • vs4b
    vs4b Posts: 257
    Not looking fwd to 50 mile round trip in the morning! Headwind on the way in tail wind at tea time I hope!
  • Azhar
    vs4b wrote:
    Not looking fwd to 50 mile round trip in the morning! Headwind on the way in tail wind at tea time I hope!

50 mile round trup? good god man. do you do this everyday?? i think im inclined to give the cycling a miss tomorrow :( i think its best to get some training in over the weekend and start fresh next week. dammit!!
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    Steady winds are fine; Its the gusts that you have to watch out for.

In a steady wind its a case of just MTFU and getting on with it (as was the case today and yesterday), just be carefull when approaching tall buildings or side roads and exposed bits of hedge as that is often where the gusts come from.

Hopefully again like yesterday, today will bring a tailwind home.
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • I concur, re: gusts. Bit of headwind never a problem, but I've had some close calls being blown across the road when it gets proper gusty. I avoid riding in these conditions for the sake of not dying!
  • Azhar
    rubertoe wrote:
    Steady winds are fine; Its the gusts that you have to watch out for.

In a steady wind its a case of just MTFU and getting on with it (as was the case today and yesterday), just be carefull when approaching tall buildings or side roads and exposed bits of hedge as that is often where the gusts come from.

Hopefully again like yesterday, today will bring a tailwind home.

ah Mr Rubertoe, many thanks (again) for your words of wisdom. i had a look at met office website rather than the bbc website i normally use and tomorrow is 23mph NE wind with gusts of up to 43mph! me thinks friday is looking good for a day of cycling.
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    Azhar,

One day we will get your riding in all conditions, don't you worry about that.
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • Azhar
    rubertoe wrote:
    Azhar,

One day we will get your riding in all conditions, don't you worry about that.

Thanks rubertoe. i'm sure i'l have a bit more passion for cycling once we're in to next week and i actually ride to work. i got really good at it last year before i stopped for the winter. im confident i'll get my fitness and mojo back quick. :D
  • ianbz
    ianbz Posts: 27
    Only 10 miles there and same return for me! Haven't had a day off the bike this year and haven't come off either. I have been on the MTB whilst we had snow and ice. Bit of a cross / head wind gusting north off the Humber. Be careful but Get on it!!
  • tarbot18
    tarbot18 Posts: 531
    I did 12 miles round the coast of wirral last night going to work 30 mph going in and coming back this morning 6mph doh good workout though........
    The family that rides together stays together !

Boardman Comp 29er 2013

Whyte T129s 2014 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12965414&p=18823801&hilit=whyte+t129s#p18823801

Road Scott speedster s50 2011
  • Azhar
    30mph wind!! oh no that would have been too much for me to handle tarbot. this wind is annoying me!!
  • I've had a bit of a lay off too. Decided to brave the wind and ride in yesterday but didn't expect there still to be boilerplate ice on the C2C. Didn't realise it was there until I came off!