Upgrading pedals - worth it?

trek_dan
trek_dan Posts: 1,366
edited January 2013 in Road buying advice
I've just bought a cheap second road bike to use as a dedicated commuter, and I'll be wanting to fit SPD-SL pedals to it. Currently I use R540's on my 'good' bike, is it worth putting the R540's on my commuter bike and upgrading to 105/Ultegra's on my 'good' bike? Do the higher models actually feel or ride any different/better? Or am I just shelling out more money for the sake of saving a few grams?

Comments

• smoggysteve
    smoggysteve Posts: 2,909
    105s do clip in a bit more confidently. over them you would be wasting money over a few grams yes. IMO anyway.
  • chiv30
    chiv30 Posts: 49
    105s are where the replaceable metal plate starts in the range so unless you get a fantastic deal on ultegra pedals then 105 would be the best bet
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    Same clip system and bearings throughout the Shimano SPD-SL range so the only benefits are the metal plate and the fact that they can match the rest of your grouppo.

Any clip in out difference is nothing to do with the pedal.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • smoggysteve
    smidsy wrote:
    Same clip system and bearings throughout the Shimano SPD-SL range so the only benefits are the metal plate and the fact that they can match the rest of your grouppo.

Any clip in out difference is nothing to do with the pedal.

I have Diadora shoes and the shape of the outer sole makes it difficult to clip in on the cheaper pedals, even with worn in cleats. Same shoe and brand new cleat in first time with 105s
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    I have Diadora shoes and the shape of the outer sole makes it difficult to clip in on the cheaper pedals, especially with worn out cleats. Same shoe and brand new cleat in first time with 105s

FTFY.

Try the new cleats on the other pedals. :P
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • smoggysteve
    Wow why did I not think of that, what was I thinking??? Oh wait, I totally did, and the cheaper pedals were problematic. So I can say for me the 105 are better than the cheaper shimano pedals.
  • passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    I would also recommend 105s as the best value road pedals shimano make.
    32 quid here:

http://www.merlincycles.com/bike-shop/r ... edals.html
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • Had 105's, didnt like them, though they are a good pedal.

Have you thought about something like this?

http://www.planet-x-bikes.co.uk/i/q/PET ... c_2_pedals

I found these far easier to click-in and click-out and the price at the moment is an absolute bargain!
  • smoggysteve
    Had 105's, didnt like them, though they are a good pedal.

Have you thought about something like this?

http://www.planet-x-bikes.co.uk/i/q/PET ... c_2_pedals

I found these far easier to click-in and click-out and the price at the moment is an absolute bargain!

Only problem there is, he has 2 bikes, 1 as a commuter and another as a main bike. He would then have to swap the cleats on his shoes every time he changed bike. Not a very convenient thing.
  • trek_dan
    trek_dan Posts: 1,366
    Will go for 105's for the good bike since general consensus seems to be their worth the extra tenner.