Rock Shox XC32 Fork Play.

miurasv
miurasv Posts: 345
edited January 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
Just got a brand new 2013 Giant Trance X3, which is the same spec as the 2012 X4 and I've noticed a bit of play in the front fork, a Rock Shox XC32. It's not the headset but definitely slight movement/play between the the stantion and the fork leg which I can feel if I push on the front end with the brake on. Is some play normal? There is no play in my other bike which has the more expensive Fox front forks. Thanks in advance for any replies.

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    If you can definitely isolate it as the fork, then it should not be there.
  • miurasv
    supersonic wrote:
    If you can definitely isolate it as the fork, then it should not be there.

Thanks very much for your reply, supersonic. The play is definitely in the fork. I initially put this down to the Rock Shox XC32 being a budget and less expensive fork than the Fox I have, but I got to thinking that it shouldn't be like that, hence my question here. So from your answer there should be no play at all?
  • supersonic
    Not between stanchion and slider. Rockshox fork and busghings are excellent - usually - better than Fox in my opinion, even in this fork. So I'd contact the retailer.
  • miurasv
    supersonic wrote:
    Not between stanchion and slider. Rockshox fork and busghings are excellent - usually - better than Fox in my opinion, even in this fork. So I'd contact the retailer.

Thank you again for your reply. It's very much appreciated. I'll take the bike back to the shop on the next dry day. Although, I haven't ridden the bike yet, I've already upgraded the group set to Shimano XT and the wheels to Hope with DT Swiss rims. I find the Giant Air R rear shock to have been excellent when I test drove a friend's bike. In fact I found it better than the Fox on my Trance X Limited. My next upgrade was going to be the forks. I've been looking into DT Swiss, X Fusion and Marzocchi. Do you have any recommendations?
  • supersonic
    Rockshox Reba 120mm, or a Revelation. Best forks for the money by far.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    But if you are just pushing the front end with the brake on, you could be getting a bit of play from the headset, brake otor (if it's splined) and the tyre. You need to isolate the forks.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • miurasv
    cooldad wrote:
    But if you are just pushing the front end with the brake on, you could be getting a bit of play from the headset, brake otor (if it's splined) and the tyre. You need to isolate the forks.

The play is definitely in the forks, not the headset, brake rotor or the tyre.
  • miurasv
    supersonic wrote:

As you recommended RockShox, I went onto the Winstanley's web site and found RockShox SID XX Dual Air XLoc Tapered Forks (2012) with a list price of £699.99 on sale with a 60% discount at £280. What do you think of these, supersonic?

Scroll down the page: http://www.winstanleysbikes.co.uk/categ ... sion_Forks
  • LJ.
    LJ. Posts: 149
    miurasv wrote:
    supersonic wrote:

As you recommended RockShox, I went onto the Winstanley's web site and found RockShox SID XX Dual Air XLoc Tapered Forks (2012) with a list price of £699.99 on sale with a 60% discount at £280. What do you think of these, supersonic?

I think they sold out of all of those cheap SID forks now, the pictures still show though. I would sort out what you have now and get a refund or replacement
  • miurasv
    LJ. wrote:
    miurasv wrote:
    supersonic wrote:

I think they sold out of all of those cheap SID forks now, the pictures still show though. I would sort out what you have now and get a refund or replacement

I bought the last pair of SID forks as listed above for £280. Any opinions on them?