Sold Secure Gold Standard Locks

bikeleasingco
bikeleasingco Posts: 68
edited January 2013 in MTB general
Which brand of sold secure gold standard locks do you use - if any?

Any experiences of them withstanding a focused attempt at theft?

What do you use to keep your bike secure when you're out riding (other than the obvious don't leave it alone)?

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Whatever is stated in the insurance small print. Nothing more nothing less.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • nicklouse wrote:

That's a long list to choose from.

I was really asking about some specifics.

We tend to recommend Knog Strongman or the New York Fahgettaboudit.

Anyone had any issues with these i.e. lost bikes?

Also, these things are brutes to carry around so I wondered what people tend to use when they're out riding on their bikes - if anything?
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Out and about, nothing I just don't leave the bike, after all 3 allen keys and a cable cutter and they can take far too much of a bike anyway, wheels, brakes, fork, bars with shifters etc.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Decent bikes are either in the house, the car, or under my arris.
    If I actually want to ride into town I use an old cheapy, with a £1.99 lock. If anyone steals it they need it more than I do.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • we sell a lot of oxford products.
    they carry a cash back 'insurance' which is a good selling point.
    i personally use a hiplok and use the cheap bike round town, my good bikes are never left alone outside.
  • bobs bikes wrote:
    we sell a lot of oxford products.
    i personally use a hiplok and use the cheap bike round town, my good bikes are never left alone outside.

The Magnum and the HD mini are the Gold standard versions then.

I'm guessing the cash back insurance has a limit or just covers the lock cost does it?
  • scale20
    scale20 Posts: 1,300
    cooldad wrote:
    Decent bikes are either in the house, the car, or under my arris.
    If I actually want to ride into town I use an old cheapy, with a £1.99 lock. If anyone steals it they need it more than I do.

This ^^
    Niner Air 9 Rigid
    Whyte 129S 29er.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse wrote:

That's a long list to choose from.

I was really asking about some specifics.

We tend to recommend Knog Strongman or the New York Fahgettaboudit.

Anyone had any issues with these i.e. lost bikes?

Also, these things are brutes to carry around so I wondered what people tend to use when they're out riding on their bikes - if anything?
    why is it a long list.

why are you buying one?

the only reason to buy one is to have valid insurance.

it will not stop a bike being stolen.

so it does not matter what lock you have.

if you dont want it to be stolen then do not leave it where it can be seen.

just read through some of the topics in the stolen section.

you will see wall that have been taken down.

shed roof removed.

people leaving bikes on roof racks to save a few minutes in the morning.

if you are going to leave it somewhere use multiple locks that require different methods to remove them.

then take a 5mm allen key to your bike and see what you can remove.

Opps most of it.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • anj132
    anj132 Posts: 299
    brilliant reply nick
  • nicklouse
    IC. wrote:
    I thought my shed was secure...

Motion sensor alarm
    Security Light
    2" steel secuirty bar
    Top class 5 level padlocks
    Coach bolted hinges

I never thought anyone would take the roof off. How wrong was I

This happened last night:

shed.jpg

My Cube was stolen, along with my lad's bike and a few other bits.

Hope it serves as a warning to anyone else that hasn't yet internally bolted their shed roof down. :(
    I had my Trek 7.2 FX hybrid stolen from my back garden in Manchester (M21) between 3/3/10 and 5/3/10.It was locked to a solid metal bracket on the garden wall. I was fairly happy that the bracket and lock (Abus d-lock with extension cable through both wheels) were secure. I didn't expect them to take half of my wall to pieces from the other side to steal it! Pics below of the aftermath:

24594_764975441535_61408609_45826016_7738550_n.jpg

24594_764975466485_61408609_45826018_3320698_n.jpg

One brick missing from my side of the wall. About 15 from the neighbours! Their garden gate wasn't locked so the thieves must have come in over night and spent some time taking all the mortar out from between the bricks. They then pushed the brick that the bracket was fixed to out and took the whole thing - bike, lock, bracket and brick!

It was a silver frame 2009 model, serial number xxxxxxxx. There were small reflective silver stickers dotted around the frame and hardly any wear/tear - only bought it in November and the weather over the winter meant I'd hardly been out on it. There was a grey rack on the back and mudguards front and back which I think were silver.

My wife's bike was still in the garden with a similar lock setup (Kryptonite) and two nights later we disturbed 2 lads who had come to take that as well! Fortunately they hadn't got very far so we've still got that. Has anyone got any advice for securing my new one? We've no room for a shed and no room to keep them inside.
    4 Bikes stolen from my roof rack early hours of Saturday 26th June all in new condition all less than one year old.
    My beloved Enigma XCR custom frame in Ferrari Red Ultegra Triple group that I can't afford to replace!
    Trek 2.3 White
    Trek 1.2 Black/red
    Specialized dark grey

Taken from the Warwick/Stratford area
    UKCougar wrote:
    Hi,

Stopped off at the Trafford Centre on the way back from a weekend's riding, and had our bikes stolen from the locked roof rack. Details are as follows.

Bikes were taken from the Barton Square overflow car park ("GF2") on the Trafford Centre in Manchester, yesterday 5/4/10 between 1:30pm and 3:45pm. Ie, broad daylight on Easter Monday. They were mounted in locked Atera Giro cycle carriers, which the thieves smashed to bits to get the bikes out.

My bike is a Specialized Hardrock Pro 2009, black with red decals. Essentially identical to stock, http://www.specialized.com/gb/en/bc/SBCBkModel.jsp?sid=09Hardrock&eid=107. Annoyingly I can't find the serial number, still looking for that. Distinguishing marks are light scuffs on one side of the frame where a fool transported it badly on a Land Rover. I'll should have pics of the damage so I'll try and post that later. It did have a Madison gel saddle, black bottle cage and a raft of fittings on the bars for gadgets, but they're easily removable of course.

My partner's bike is a grey GT Outpost Disc 09. Frame number is SNMNG08G51503. It originally looked like this - http://www.evanscycles.com/products/gt/outpost-disc-2009-mountain-bike-ec016385. The front fork has been replaced with a Rockshox Reba fork, and the stem was replaced at the weekend with a bright red component, so unlike my bike it should be immediately recognisable. When it was stolen it had a pink bottle cage fitted (which is the thing everyone notices about it, even the security guys on the car park remembered seeing it when we arrived). It also has a Madison saddle and various lamp fittings on the bars.

Not sure how to close up here other than to say, be careful out there. In hindsight I was pretty naiive, but I figured the bikes were fairly safe locked to the car for a couple of hours in a public car park with CCTV, security guards, and a metric shedload of people milling about. Shows how wrong I was there, expensive mistake and we've got a biking holiday booked in three weeks' time. *sadface*
  • bobs bikes wrote:

I'm guessing the cash back insurance has a limit or just covers the lock cost does it?

the siver standard has a £500 replacement limit and the gold has a£1000 value.
    as long as the lock has been defeated, oxford will replace the bike and lock.

....they cant help with a shed though!
  • nicklouse
    bobs bikes wrote:
    bobs bikes wrote:

the siver standard has a £500 replacement limit and the gold has a£1000 value.
    as long as the lock has been defeated, oxford will replace the bike and lock.

....they cant help with a shed though!
    yes only if the lock has bee defeated. does not stop someone taking the wheels forks etc......
  • The thieves also have to leave the broken lock. If they choose to take it with them your stuffed getting anything back from the lock company.
    Statistically, Six Out Of Seven Dwarves Aren't Happy
  • This:
    http://www.lockyourbike.org.uk/abus-cit ... cm-review/

The Abus City Chain X Plus has served me well. I use it to lock my motorbike, and my cycle, depending on which im on. It fits round my waist and i dont notice its weight at all.

Tough as..

As others have said though, take as many locks as you can to lock your bike. Leave it where there are cameras, and/or other people, and for as short a time as possible.

If a thief targets you, its gone no matter what you use, so lock your bike up in different places if you go to somewhere regulary. If at home, make sure it cant be seen. use covers / ground anchors / snakes / rabid badgers etc.

End of the day, best place for it is under your nose.
  • chris9562 wrote:

Hi Chris,

Thanks for your post. I've already got a big nose so tying a bike to it would not help the situation :)

Nevertheless, a mini bicycle nose ring could look quite cool - but maybe on someone younger than me.
  • I used an Oxford Magnum which stood up to attack very well. The outer plastic casing was mangled, but the metal core stood firm. The discarded scissors-type car jack next to the bike showed what they'd been using, as did the dented chainstays. I still have the bike though. As an aside, the bike was locked in a "secure bike storage area" at the flats I was living in at the time. The door was very secure, shame about the roof though - they peeled back the felt of the flat roof and went in through the top...
    Old hockey players never die - they just smell that way...
  • nevman
    nevman Posts: 1,611
    Can't understand anyone wearing hardened steel.Tarmac is hard enough as it is without stripping organs in a fall.Especially motorcyclists .Have a care.
    Whats the solution? Just pedal faster you baby.

Summer B,man Team Carbon LE#222
    Winter Alan Top Cross
    All rounder Spec. Allez.
  • concorde
    concorde Posts: 1,008
    Imagine that lovely dropper post going missing when it's sat on your roof rack! Ouch! Those roof rack locks are piss poor too, absoltuely amazes me how many people leave their bikes on top of the car like that.
  • nicklouse
    chris9562 wrote:
    This:
    http://www.lockyourbike.org.uk/abus-cit ... cm-review/

The Abus City Chain X Plus has served me well. I use it to lock my motorbike, and my cycle, depending on which im on. It fits round my waist and i dont notice its weight at all.

Tough as..

As others have said though, take as many locks as you can to lock your bike. Leave it where there are cameras, and/or other people, and for as short a time as possible.

If a thief targets you, its gone no matter what you use, so lock your bike up in different places if you go to somewhere regulary. If at home, make sure it cant be seen. use covers / ground anchors / snakes / rabid badgers etc.

and the point of that lock?

so much easier to cut through the frame and sell the bits. Bonus you get to keep the lock.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Someone on the commuter forum had a bike stolen, they also stole the hacksaw they used to cut through the frame......on £800 MTB (new, so used value circa £400) the frame is only worth about £60 of the value so no loss to a tealeaf!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.