Can you transfer wheel milk from one tyre to another?

70\ʹspenguin
70\ʹspenguin Posts: 957
edited January 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
I need to swap over my tyres. The stans fluid in the front is about 3 months old and the in the rear its only a few weeks. Is it ok to use the milk from one tyre and stick it in another or should you always use fresh regardless of age?

If swapping is possible is there a limit as to how old it should be or are there just too many variables to tell?

Thanks

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Yes....

No.... as long as it's still properly liquid and not coalescing. (? spelling, can't be bothered to check it!)
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Yes....

No.... as long as it's still properly liquid and not coalescing. (? spelling, can't be bothered to check it!)

Coagulating you mean :wink:
  • DodgeT
    DodgeT Posts: 2,255
    Question from me..
    Sure i've read that you need to refresh the stans every 6 months or so, as it can go hard. So, do you clean the old stuff out and put the new in? Otherwise, if you just keep chucking new stuff in (which i've heard some poeple say they do), won't the tyres just keep getting heavier with goo ontop of goo...?
  • Greer_
    Greer_ Posts: 1,716
    I've found a syringe is dead handy for getting sealant out of the tyres, then a bit of kitchen roll to clean up the gunk. I definitely wouldn't put new stuff in on top of old.
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    I tend to switch tyres a lot, so just slop it from one tyre to the next. Depending on how it looks I may top it off.

If the sealant looks thin then a slug to give you some more latex is usually a good idea, also check how much is still in the old tyre!
  • Groovey, thank you.
  • jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009
    DodgeT wrote:
    ...won't the tyres just keep getting heavier with goo ontop of goo...?

In my experience, if the tyre is left un-used with sealant then it drys into a thick layer which will add weight to the tyre but if the tyre is regularly used when the sealant dries up I normally get little rubber ball forming which you just pick out and throw away.

There will be some residue on the old tyre which I wipe down again to stop extra layers forming over time.