Running Suspension Fork Below Lowest Setting???

Levi_501
Levi_501 Posts: 1,105
edited January 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
We went out yesterday; first ride the wife has done since her bike has been rebuilt.

One part of the rebuild included fitting a pair of Sid suspension forks. Obviously I before the ride I set both bikes up, amongst other things, correct pressures in tyres, forks.

However, while we were riding I noticed the fork was not absorbing the bumbs. Thinking the fork lock was on, I suggested that she take the lock off the fork. Her response being, it is!

It appears she is to light to make the fork work! The minimum setting for a Sid is 63kg (140lb), she is quite a bit less!

Anyone tried running a fork below the lowest setting?

I set the fork up accoridng to the book, with 5psi more in the bottom.

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    what has the book got to do with it?

just set the required sag and then set the neg air to suit. guessing a Dual air for.

see the topic in the FAQs.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Levi_501
    Thanks
    nicklouse wrote:
    what has the book got to do with it?

...as in minimum setting and for what application, XC race suggests +5psi in the bottom stanchion.

Have you had any problems running below the minimum setting?
  • EH_Rob
    EH_Rob Posts: 1,134
    I think what he meant was just ignore the book, the recommended values are totally meaningless.

As you've recently discovered.
  • Plyphon
    Plyphon Posts: 433
    Meaningless figures supplied by RockShox on their forks - I run mine many many PSI below the "recommended" pressure for my weight.

I keep within the ranges for the extra pressure in the negative for a plusher feel. (Currently +15 psi more, which is the max for Revs)
  • Levi_501
    OK, thanks guys.

I will set it up based on 20mm sag and go with whatever pressure is required to do that.

Thanks for swift responses.