RideUK 24: Manchester to London

Jamie@AC
Jamie@AC Posts: 752
RideUKBanner_zps7d5a68f0.jpg

Hi all!

Well, I know that it's been mentioned elsewhere on the forum already, so I figured I should spill the beans and put up a post about our RideUK 24 events.

These are long distance, 24 hour events. Rather than being a looped course like many 24s, you travel as the title suggests; from Manchester to London. The distance that will be covered by the participants will be about 250 miles in total.

The route has been specifically chosen to make the suffering as enjoyable and as safe as possible. It's a fully supported event with rest stops every 40-45 miles, and a full safety team who can look after anyone in need. I'm sure that our cyclists will enjoy the good grub and well earned rest at each stop, as 45 mile stages can be a killer! I make no bones about it when I say that this event will be tough! I've ridden similar events myself, and it's surprising how far you have to push yourself!

We are predicting around 500 cyclists will take part in this event, with similar numbers attending our 300 mile, Newcastle to London RideUK 24 event, which promises to be even harder!

The best part about all of this is that it's raising money for charity, and if the participants hit their targets; it could be more than £250,000 going to good causes. Participants can chose which charity they ride for, so it is an ideal event for a keen cyclist to raise money for something or someone close to their heart.

If anyone here is interested in the event or similar ones, then please feel free to ask away. Our website is here: http://www.rideuk24.com

Also, I'm quite eager to hear what people think of the event. How does a 24 hour, 250 mile ride to London sound to you? Crazy? Painful? Challenging? Or a piece of cake? I'd love to know because I think this is a tough one!

Cheers, Jamie.

RideUKImages_zps73e30309.jpg
"Of all the paths you chose in life, make sure some of them are dirt..."

Comments

• Stedman
    Stedman Posts: 377
    Why do we need to enter to enter your event at £295 when for £8 there is a similar event on the same day and same distance?

See: http://www.aukweb.net/events/detail/13-657/
  • Jamie@AC
    Stedman wrote:
    Why do we need to enter to enter your event at £295 when for £8 there is a similar event on the same day and same distance?

Hi, thanks for the input.

You're very right. If you're the sort of person that can do an audax of this distance or time then signing up for our event isn't the best thing to do.

What we are trying to do is get a few of the cyclists who perhaps haven't done a ride of this distance before and want to make the leap into doing it, but with a bit more support. Our events are very good for first timers. An example is that a lot of people use our London2Brighton walk as their first 100k ultramarathon run because it's well supported and regular rest stops and onsite medical staff provide huge reassurance for people pushing themselves past their known limits.

Perhaps you would be interested in becoming a pace rider on these events? While places are limited, they are effectively 'free tickets' onto the event in exchange for you being helpful and encouraging for some of the riders who are struggling. In that case, the £8 event would look expensive next to a £0 event! :lol:

I hope this helps.
  • Stedman
    Stedman Posts: 377
    Jamie@AC wrote:
    Stedman wrote:

Hi, thanks for the input.

You're very right. If you're the sort of person that can do an audax of this distance or time then signing up for our event isn't the best thing to do.

What we are trying to do is get a few of the cyclists who perhaps haven't done a ride of this distance before and want to make the leap into doing it, but with a bit more support. Our events are very good for first timers. An example is that a lot of people use our London2Brighton walk as their first 100k ultramarathon run because it's well supported and regular rest stops and onsite medical staff provide huge reassurance for people pushing themselves past their known limits.

Perhaps you would be interested in becoming a pace rider on these events? While places are limited, they are effectively 'free tickets' onto the event in exchange for you being helpful and encouraging for some of the riders who are struggling. In that case, the £8 event would look expensive next to a £0 event! :lol:

I hope this helps.

Jamie,

Thank you and you have made my day as I was not expecting a free invite albeit a pace rider!
    :D
  • Jamie@AC
    PM me your details (email is probably more than enough for the time being) and we'll talk further.

Cheers,

Jamie.