"Bluestone Wales" - any worthwhile riding?

jimothy78
jimothy78 Posts: 1,407
edited January 2013 in Routes
Just wondering if anyone's been to or lives near Bluestone Wales in Pembrokeshire? The wife's booked us a bargain-basement deal for next week, and I might be lucky enough to be granted half a day's riding :roll:.

There's a handful of "off-resort" routes shown on the website, but it's hard to tell if any of them will be interesting enough to bother with, so if anyone's got any tips on routes in the immediate area I'd be glad to hear them.

Thanks in advance,
Jim

Comments

• Pretty sure that bluestone is all "family trails".

Nant Y Arian can't be that far away?
  • jimothy78
    Pretty sure that bluestone is all "family trails".

Yes, that's why I'm thinking more off-site than on.
    Nant Y Arian can't be that far away?

Best part of two hours according to googlemaps, so out of the question. Brechfa is closer.

Forestry comission website turns up Minwear and Canaston woods - both of which are on the doorstep, so maybe I'll just do some exploring there? I'll have a browse of some maps later to see if I can pick out some likely paths.
  • welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    brechfa would be closest for a trail centre i think. but i think there's some riding around there you'll just ahve to hunt for it or find a lbs
  • Gazlar
    Gazlar Posts: 8,084
    My mum in law lives in pembs....avoid Llys y fran, its dull and you have to pay. The presselli hills have some nice natural riding and there's a waymarked trail at rosebush but not ridden that so i can't comment
    Mountain biking is like sex.......more fun when someone else is getting hurt
    Amy
    Farnsworth
    Zapp
  • jimothy78
    welshkev wrote:
    brechfa would be closest for a trail centre i think. but i think there's some riding around there you'll just ahve to hunt for it or find a lbs

I'm not too tempted to try out Brechfa this time round, as my Mum has a house in Manordeilo, which is about 10miles away from it, so there'll be plenty of opportunities for that at other times.

More likely than not I'll stick close to the main site as it is meant to be a family holiday, after all :( Canaston woods looks like it's littered with trails, although there's not much gradient to play with.
  • concorde
    concorde Posts: 1,008
    Cwm Rhaedar. Not too far away. Not the longest route but can be done more than once.