My first trip!

corriebee1
corriebee1 Posts: 390
edited January 2013 in Road beginners
Hey everyone

I hope this is the right place for a "first trip" post, but am feeling somewhat elated after my first outing on my new bike (well, my first actual road bike too).

I bought my first bike (a Felt Z6 2012) last month, and have been chomping at the bit to get out on it since. I've just about got enough gear to keep me warm (Ran out of liquidity so my tights are Sports Direct for the next month or two, and I'm using my old trainers until i can get some proper shoes.

Managed a 13.5 mile loop from Luton to Harpenden and back, and was feeling pretty good by the time I got back. It was actually the first few miles which felt hardest! I have a huge amount to learn about riding positions, gearing etc (as well as bike maintenance) but I'm hoping that once I get myself up to a satisfactory fitness level, I can join the local CC and learn a bit from some more experienced cyclists.

I shall refrain from posting any trip details as it would appear that gets people's goat on occasion! But i hope you don't mind if i ask for training advice/opinions from time to time.

Comments

• Well done.

Would suggest that you consider joining a club sooner rather than later, they should have several ride outs including one for new members. Plus riding in a group gets you out on routes you might not know, introduces you to new people & also pack riding is easier than riding solo.
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Second that. Join sooner rather than later.
    Our Saturday club ride is a taster so there is no pressure to join.
    You will pick things up far faster and enjoy riding more.
    I would not be bothered about asking anything in this section. Thats what its for I would have thought.
  • Thanks for the replies chaps

I've had a look at the Cycle Club Luton page, and they only seem to have one ride out per week. It looks like a 60 miler (in two 30 mile sections) at averages of about 16 mph. I doubt very much that I'd be able to stick the pace on that type of ride for that distance.

I could go up to Bedford I guess, as it looks like they have some more beginner-friendly rides available. I would love to get into a club ride, as it's a lonely and somewhat disconcerting experience starting out on my own!

If anyone has any contacts for any novice rides in my area (I am reeasonably fit, just not much of a cyclist yet!) then any thoughts much appreciated!
  • elderone
    elderone Posts: 1,410
    Hi and well done on getting out and getting the bug.Dont worry about posting your rides or what ever as some of do like reading these posts.Dont worry about the idiots you will soon recognise the genuine folk and they have lots of knowledge to pass on.
    Dulce et decorum est Pro patria mori
  • royce
    royce Posts: 24
    Hi and well done

I'm a few weeks ahead of you.
    Got my first road bike 3 weeks ago (not ridden a bike for about 15 years) and managed my first 25 mile ride today.
    It's a great feeling to slowly add the miles to your rides.
    My trousers and shoes sound very much like yours lol.
    Have fun
    Roy
  • ShutUpLegs
    ShutUpLegs Posts: 3,522
    If you enjoyed today, wait for the warmer weather and the summer...it gets even better
  • trekie
    trekie Posts: 15
    Hi and well done. Its a great feeling isn't it?. Like others have said when it gets a bit warmer you will enjoy it even more. Group riding will help you and you will be suprised at your increase in average speed, hope you find a decent bunch, but to be fair most are ok and helpful. I know how you feel, picked up my new Trek Domane 4.3 on saturday afternoon and took it for a 27 mile spin yesterday, like riding a magic carpet. all the best :D
  • Thanks for the replies!

Trekie. I see you're in Cambridgeshire. One of the main reasons for getting the bike was to add an element of fitness to my commute. I drive to Cambridge (central) every day, and I reckon I could easily do the last 10 miles quicker on the bike than I do in the car. Doing 20 miles commuting a day maybe 3 days a week is the eventual target.

My Sunday cycle averaged 14.8 mph over 13.5 miles and 387 ft climbed, but I did have to dismount and walk through a couple of floods on the road so maybe that could have been a bit faster. You've all just about convinced me to get in touch with the Luton CC! Maybe after a couple more trial runs (and once I've got myself some proper shoes).
  • trekie
    trekie Posts: 15
    Your commute will help you a lot along with long weekend rides. Your average speed would improve on a longer ride and as you said you had to stop a couple of times for floods that wasnt a bad average. I know its more exspense but a turbo trainer has helped me a lot, along with some dvds from 3 leg cycling. I have found that trying to maintain a high cadence in a lower gear has helped me improve all round. I started with training shoes and toe clips but it made a huge difference when I went to cleats (fell off a couple of times when I forgot to unclip, but i think everyone does that to begin with) Good luck