2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
2011 Trek Madone 4.5
2012 Felt F65X
Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter

Comments

• veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,252
    Condolences indeed.
    I would hope that in light of the failure to stop and then doing a runner they will throw the book at him. Tragic news to put it mildly.
  • Widgey
    Widgey Posts: 157
    My condolences to them and their family.
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    fecking toerags.....

condolences to the families involved

fingers crossed its a custodial sentencing an not community service....
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    mudcow007 wrote:
    ******* toerags.....

condolences to the families involved

fingers crossed its a custodial sentencing an not community service....
    A 32 year old woman is not usually described as ******** toerags but I agree with the sentiment.
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    :( :x :(
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • FoldingJoe
    FoldingJoe Posts: 1,327
    What I don't understand is that they are, or so the news article leads you to believe, charging two people with death by dangerous driving, and the case is also being referred to the IPCC.

Is that standard procedure?
    Little boy to Obama: "My Dad says that you read all our emails"
    Obama to little boy: "He's not your real Dad"

Kona Honky Tonk for sale: http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40090&t=13000807
  • MrSweary
    MrSweary Posts: 1,699
    I hope they throw the book at them. So sorry for the families of the couple killed.

I wonder if the driver did a runner to let the booze / drugs wear off or just spooked and ran.
    Kinesis Racelite 4s disc
    Kona Paddy Wagon
    Canyon Roadlite Al 7.0 - reborn as single speed!
    Felt Z85 - mangled by taxi.
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    FoldingJoe wrote:
    What I don't understand is that they are, or so the news article leads you to believe, charging two people with death by dangerous driving, and the case is also being referred to the IPCC.

Is that standard procedure?

The article says that only the male has been charged with "death by dangerous driving", the female with "dangerous driving". I would have thought the IPCC referral is because the police were "involved", and they want to clear themselves of any fault immediately.

Edit: reduced implication of police involvement, as it's unclear how much police were involved.
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • FoldingJoe
    FoldingJoe Posts: 1,327
    Correct you are.

Does Dangerous Driving cover more than the act of driving then?

Can a passenger in a car be charged with this?
    Little boy to Obama: "My Dad says that you read all our emails"
    Obama to little boy: "He's not your real Dad"

Kona Honky Tonk for sale: http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40090&t=13000807
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,484
    Grim news. I know that bit of road very well. Just goes to show that for all the steps you take to look after yourself, you're still at the mercy of some pondlife driving like it's a video game.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • fill_uk
    fill_uk Posts: 52
    I read earlier that the car that hit the cyclists had failed to stop for a police patrol car earlier when the officer attempted to stop it. He followed the car but lost it and the collision happend shortly after.

The police chase aspect will be why the IPCC are involved, they'll want to ensure the dangerous driving that caused the deaths wasnt caused becuase of a pursuit taking place.
  • rjsterry wrote:
    Grim news .. Just goes to show that for all the steps you take to look after yourself, you're still at the mercy of some pondlife driving like it's a video game.

+1

I don't know whether to be sad, angry or just resigned .. I guess it's a mixed up bag of all three.

Condolences to their family and friends.

I just wish and hope that people (the drivers, the courts, the press and the government) would take a step back when cr@p like this happens and realise what's going on, get some perspective and understand the effect and terrible impact they can have on cyclist's lives.
    Sometimes you're the hammer, sometimes you're the nail

strava profile
  • Don't think you should think of this as a specific cycling issue. As I understand it the driver was fleeing from the police, and could just have easily struck another car, pedestrians, a shop front, whatever.
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    The couple in question had just been given the OK for IVF treatment.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/ho ... 70527.html

This is local to me but I only picked up the initial feeds on the story via twitter when having my tea at work. The local paper, Evening Post, has three different stories about this. The first two had comments disabled but the article today had comments enabled till I suggested it would be wise to disable the facility as no doubt along with the messages of condolance there will be the usual anti-cyclist trolls posting their beliefs.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • Yeah, read an article in the Evening Standard which said the car that hit them was involved in a police chase beforehand. But also that the couple where on a tandem at the time? Would make more sense that both were hit, rather than two separate bikes.

Condolences.
    Specialized Allez Elite 2011 *NEW*
    Specialized Sirrus Elite 2011
  • DrLex
    DrLex Posts: 2,142
    redvee wrote:
    [...] there will be the usual anti-cyclist trolls posting their beliefs.

One can rely on twitter for that kind of tw@ttery:
    8422039264_b9450c161a.jpg
    (from Carlton Reid's feed)