air travel and suspension

tugger
tugger Posts: 122
edited January 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi guys,

I am off to Spain in a few weeks and wondered if anyone has any experience as to whether it is necessary to let out air of suspension and shocks?

I am getting the impression that it isnt really but some people do to be on the safe side...?

Anyone with any knowledge greatly appreciated
All about the aggregation of marginal gains (or marginal losses, depending on who you are!!)

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    totally unnecessary.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • nferrar
    nferrar Posts: 2,511
    Yeah not needed and I don't for tyres although I must confess I did for my shocks last time - more just slight peace of mind (although holds are pressurised they won't be identical to sea level) I figured it was much easier to inflate the shocks again at the destination rather than find replacement shocks. If I'd forgotten to though I wouldn't have panicked...
  • WhipIt
    WhipIt Posts: 52
    Passenger aircraft typically cruise at 30~40k feet, but the cargo holds are pressurised to an equivalent altitude of <8k feet (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cabin_pressurization).

The pressure drop at 8k feet is ~3.8 PSI (http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/air-a ... d_462.html). This is like adding 3.8 PSI to your fork/tyres. Even at 40k feet it's only ~12 PSI.

3.8 PSI is not going to blow tyres or suspension unless they're already over-inflated!
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Even if the hold was a perfect vacuum (going to the moon?) it would only add 14.7 psi to the guage pressure in suspension and tyres.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • chez_m356
    chez_m356 Posts: 1,893
    Even if the hold was a perfect vacuum (going to the moon?) it would only add 14.7 psi to the guage pressure in suspension and tyres.
      has anyone else ever wondered, how he knows so much ? :wink:
      2990506527_c36d1a4434.jpg
      Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 10- CANYON Nerve AM 6 2011
    • Levi_501
      Levi_501 Posts: 1,105
      We have talked this many a time.

Whilst I tend to agree with the above, I always drain the air out of tubes and suspension.
    • The Rookie
      The Rookie Posts: 27,812
      Thanks Chez.... I think!

Levi - stop being a wuss!
      Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.