Do many cycle shops try and Palm-Off staff bikes ?

VTech
VTech Posts: 4,736
edited January 2013 in Road beginners
The reason I ask is that when looking for a bike I visited a few places and most seemed very very good, knowledgable and helpful but a couple, one in particular told me that the best bike for me was a bike they had in store, it was the owners personal bike which he was upgrading/replacing and would be everything I could ever need.
The only problem that I felt was there was down to the size. I am 5'9" and have been told that i need a 54 frame so when the shop told me that the bike they thought I should have was a 47 it didnt seem to stack up.
However, they assured me that bikes are different in build and that this would suit me so I felt assured and I also purchased another bike for the wife whilst there.
They were very helpful, friendly and all seemed good but having read all of the different magazines at WHSmith (I fly a lot with work so get time to read a lot) something just didnt sit right so I called the bike manufacturer who were again, VERY helpful and asked me my measurements and was told that in fact the best bike for me was the medium 54 !

I was upset at the thought that the guy simply wanted to sell me his old bike rather than the right bike. needless to say, I didnt buy it but wondered if this happens a lot ?
Living MY dream.

Comments

• smoggysteve
    smoggysteve Posts: 2,909
    If you doesn't sound right, Best just walk away and go elsewhere. Plenty of good shops around that will look after you. Never be afraid to look for a second or third opinion. Its alot of money to spend when choosing a bike so make sure its the best one for YOU.
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    I'm not sure why you were upset because he wanted to sell you a bike you didn't want or was the wrong size, it's called 'trying it on'. Cheeky bar steward. If he can sell you that bike then it's one less bike on his books he has to try and get rid of.

Go elsewhere to a reputable dealer, get a bike fit and do it the right way. You will be happier in the long run, on a bike that suits your geometry and one which is comfortable for YOU, as SmoggySteve aptly puts.
  • ShutUpLegs
    ShutUpLegs Posts: 3,522
    VTech wrote:
    (I fly a lot with work so get time to read a lot)

You must have a very important job
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    It is entirely possible that shops will also sell you the wrong size just because they have it in stock in that size, but would have to order a different size in. So its not just staff bikes that are an issue.

The rule is that you have to judge the right size for yourself (or get a bike fit) and not listen to any of the sales patter.

Its not just bike shops - this goes for anything in life...
  • smoggysteve
    smoggysteve Posts: 2,909
    ShutUpLegs wrote:
    VTech wrote:

He's an air hostess
  • VTech
    ShutUpLegs wrote:
    VTech wrote:

No, I just fly a lot.

If I was a road sweeper and your road was dirty, I would have an important job.
    If I was a brain surgeon and examined your head I would have an important job (although im not certain if humour can be transplanted yet)
    Living MY dream.
  • Interesting you should say that....

When I was looking for my current steed, I wanted to try it against a Cannondale CAAD10 Carbon with 105. Found a LBS that had it in stock (in my size) and went along to have a look and all appeared in order. When I enquired why such a hefty discount, I was told it was "the owner's son's" who had gone away to university so didn't have a use for it any more and it only had 50 miles on it. Now, this story may be true, it may not, but I wasn't convinced and walked away. I'd recommend anyone to do the same, rather than part with their hard-earned.

Of course, there was also the factor that the only test-ride I could have was around a fenced off section of their car park. I even offered to put down the whole amount of the bike on my card, to be refunded on the safe return of the bike (i.e. no risk to the bike shop if I "did one"), only to be told " We don't do refunds, we can give you a credit note though".

These shops should be named and shamed. I am happy to say "Partridge Cycles in Exeter, in my opinion, you SUCK!". And your policy cost you a sale, as I took my business elsewhere.

Anyway, no moral to the story, just thought it was interesting that you should bring this up when I almost had an "owner's bike" sold to me - even though it was actually what I went for in the first place.
    Pride and joy: Bianchi Sempre
    Commuting hack: Cube Nature
  • VTech
    I guess it happens a lot then.
    I can understand the need to sell old stock, thats just business but to try and sell something that simply isnt right for a customer is plain wrong. I wouldnt want to name the shop as they were the losers in the end and I wont shop there again.
    Living MY dream.
  • VTech wrote:
    I guess it happens a lot then.
    I can understand the need to sell old stock, thats just business but to try and sell something that simply isnt right for a customer is plain wrong. I wouldnt want to name the shop as they were the losers in the end and I wont shop there again.
    But it may help others who might fall for the same trick?
  • That could be a whole new thread.

If anyone wants to start one, the Buying advice forum would probably be the place to go.
    Pride and joy: Bianchi Sempre
    Commuting hack: Cube Nature
  • pinarellokid
    pinarellokid Posts: 1,208
    about 4 years ago i bought a spesh hardrock pro for the misses..
    now if im honest she rode it for about 100 miles max in all these years.. total waste of money
    since i have got into road bikes and servicing them i learnt about chain wear and bought an indicator
    the tool fell straight through the chain meaning major wear also the jockey wheels were shot
    in 100 miles thats impossible.!! isnt it ??
    im sure they sold me a mint shop bike without saying as the wear just doesnt match the miles she has done
    Specialized S Works SL2 . Campagnolo Record 11spd. rolling on Campag Zonda wheels

http://app.strava.com/athletes/881211
  • flasher
    flasher Posts: 1,734
    Before the pitchforks get passed around, I ride a 56 but bought a 48, this was a compact frame and it fitted perfectly.

The old fashioned way was to size bikes by their seat tube, this has changed over recent years to effective top tube, however the shop in question may well still use seat tube measurements, therefore a 47 may well have fitted perfectly, did you ask to see the bike or even sit on it, it would be quickly apparent if if was the incorrect size.
  • VTech
    Flasher wrote:
    Before the pitchforks get passed around, I ride a 56 but bought a 48, this was a compact frame and it fitted perfectly.

The old fashioned way was to size bikes by their seat tube, this has changed over recent years to effective top tube, however the shop in question may well still use seat tube measurements, therefore a 47 may well have fitted perfectly, did you ask to see the bike or even sit on it, it would be quickly apparent if if was the incorrect size.

The seat seamed fine, but the bike was like sitting on a 12 year olds bike, it didnt look or feel right (but I am new to this so if what your saying is right, it could have been perfect?)
    Living MY dream.
  • flasher
    flasher Posts: 1,734
    Always difficult to say without seeing, they may well have been trying it on, however if it was a compact frame it could well seem small, look at Tom Jelte Slagter's (winner of the TDU) bike for instance.

slagter-2-510x421.jpg
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,215
    Yeah, it would be useful to know what bike and model it was. A 47cm seat tube on a non-compact frame would be tiny (it's the smallest frame size you can get in my own bike).
  • VTech
    it was a 2012 carbon giant.
    Living MY dream.
  • izza
    izza Posts: 1,561
    Manufacturers/distributors give a bigger discount on the first bike ordered by a retailer to entice them to buy it as a display model. They are not supposed/allowed (depending on sale/franchise agreement) to sell it on at a discount to ensure the preservation of the brand.

However once "used" as a display or owner's personal bike they can legitimately sell on with a big discount.

I'm sure there are other reasons the "owner's personal bike" story comes out but it should never give rise to an outlet trying to dupe a buyer into a wrong sized bike.
  • VTech
    What makes me think they were palming it off was the fact that when i called giant they asked me for my measurements and said the bike was way to small.
    Living MY dream.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,215
    A 47cm (well, 46.5cm) seat tube on a Giant would be a small and has a 53.5cm top tube. The equivalent Scott Foil with that length of top tube would be a 52cm as would a Specialized Tarmac so perhaps a size smaller than you would need but not really that much too small that they were likely to be trying it on. I had advice that I would be best with a 56 or a 58 depending where I went and in reality either would be fine with minor modifications such as stem length.