29er wheels on 26er frame....

cat_with_no_tail
cat_with_no_tail Posts: 12,981
edited January 2013 in The workshop
So I've been using an old converted Rockhopper for my winter bike this year. It's been much better than I expected, and as such, I intend to keep using it for commuting duties through summer once the N2A arrives from Planet X.

One thing I've been toying with is fitting some "proper" wheels to it. I know I've got the clearance there for a set of CX wheels with proper road tyres.

Just want to know if I'm missing any really obvious reason not to do this? Is it likely to ruin the handling or something?

Current fork is a kinesis maxlight XLT rigid job which is already suspension corrected. How badly would the new wheels mess with the geometry? I don't see how it can make that much difference as a set of 700c wheels and tyres are actually no greater in diameter than a set of 26" wheels with 2.2" tyres fitted. Right?

Confused.

Comments

• Disc right? If it's V brakes, you'll need to source converters or the pads will miss the rim.
    A
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Well known that 700c on smallish tyres will fit into most 26er frames, yes, as stated running discs avoids issues with the location of the brake posts which will be wrong.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    There will be the issue of OLN for the rear wheel though, most MTBs use 135 spacing whereas a road / CX will be 130. I ended having to have a custom wheel made for my old hybrid using a Deore LX hub with a Sputnik rim.
  • Yeh sorry forgot to mention I was looking at CX wheels specifically because of the ability to run discs and the fact that 135mm spacing is moer readily available like these (I'm aware they're showing as out of stock at the moment, it was more as an illustration than anything).

Happy days then, I can sense a set similar to those in my not too distant future.

Giggidy.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Is it likely to ruin the handling or something?
    nope as the diameter is the same.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • That's what I thought, was just wondering if I'd been fully-mong about something ;)

Sound. Cheers all.
  • mtb-idle
    mtb-idle Posts: 2,179
    worked for me

21-07-2012_01.jpg

dialled bikes Prince Albert MTB with 700c wheels on disc hubs

Edit: oh! and I just noticed your location. I'm over in IOM next week, Wednesday to Friday; work related so I won't have the bike with me :cry:
    FCN = 4
  • Cheers for that.

I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest that you work for a large highstreet bank, probably Barcalys, but possibly HSBC ;)

Looking at the weather for next week, you'll not be missing much even if you DID bring the bike anyway.
  • mtb-idle
    mtb-idle Posts: 2,179
    yip
    FCN = 4
  • ... like these ...

Got some superstar wheels too, in a word avoid like the plague, cheap built, cheap parts = a maintainers living nightmare... or if you have plenty of spare cash your LBS.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Most people are really happy with SS wheels, as always there will be some who are disapointed, especially given the volumes they do.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.