Bobcheese's hardtail rebuild

bobcheese
bobcheese Posts: 343
edited January 2013 in Your mountain bikes
Hi Guys, been off for a while (kid's eh?)

Anyway's, decided that the old aggressor frame 5652562165_ca11ba1aab.jpg
was just a little short on the top tube for me even after fitting a layback seatpost. Decided that I would go on a hunt for a new frame and then do abit of a parts refresh at the same time. Taking the opportunity to learn a bit too by stripping it down completely.

Bought this beauty of fleebay for £99.00 8197270319_6218d75ff4.jpg
Its in like new condition and doesnt seem to have been used at all.

Parts list so far:

Genesis Abyss frame 16.5"
RockShox revelation 409 dual air (140mm)
SXL 9 speed shifters, cranks(2 x 9), front & rear mech's
Avid Elixir R brakes
Thompson Elite seatpost
Superstar Vector Bars 700mm
Superstar Zenith stem 65mm

Forks & brakes should be going on this week and should crack on from there.

Stay tuned

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Good luck with the build, building your own bike is very satisfying, it also allows you to make specific decisions to fit your needs!

See link in my sig to my homebuilt bike (no build history).
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Update; added forks, cane creek headset, superstar bars & stem. Put the wheels back on too to check standover and reach. All good, the standover is fine and the reach is a little longer than the GT so its all good.

8212503957_d05b28d398.jpg

8212752539_308900bbce.jpg

8212751175_89444c8598.jpg
  • chez_m356
    chez_m356 Posts: 1,893
    bobcheese wrote:
    superstar bars & stem.
    8212503957_d05b28d398.jpg
    damn they look big in that pic, any trouble getting it through the door :lol:
      looking forward to seeing her finished :D
    Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 10- CANYON Nerve AM 6 2011
  • Lol I was thinking that when I uploaded the pic but they are only 700mm.
  • been suckered in by CRC 10% discount this weekend so have just ordered the following:

Heli Tape
    Shimano SLX M670 10 Speed Trigger Shifter - Pair
    Shimano HG81 10 Speed MTB Cassette
    Shimano XTR M980 HGX 10 Speed Chain
    Shimano SLX M675 10 Speed Double Chainset - 170mm - 38.26t
    Shimano XT M786 Conventional 2x10 Front Mech - Unisize
    Goodridge Gear Cable Kit - Carbon
    Shimano SLX RD-M675 SLX 10-speed Shadow+ design rear derailleur

looks like this week will be a busy one :)
  • The Rookie
    Looking good, did you have a budget or is it 'what it costs'?

I'm not normally a colour whore, but loving the contrast of grey frame and bright blue bars/stem that match the frame logos.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Not got a budget but wont be spending much more now as I have most of what I need. Only thing left is some different grips (i bought new SS grey ones but they are a dark grey so might just get black) & maybe a new saddle. I will get new wheels over time but will make do with the Alex rims from my GT for now as they are pretty tough.

Colour wise i got lucky the SS blue stem & bars are almost identical colour to the logos so trying to keep to that as it looks great.

Got a bit anal on the colour theme now. Took delivery of these this morning :)

8219665685_fccd693c26_z.jpg
  • The Rookie
    TART!

Will look nice though....you could strip the forks down and get the lowers resprayed grey to match the frame as well.......
  • now that would make me a tart!!!!

The only thing putting me off doing that is I plan to "maybe" move the majority of these parts to a FS is a couple of years
    so don't want to change the colour. Agree it would look awesome though
  • Quick Update:

She is coming along nicely. My goodies arrived in good time and had a bit of spare time this weekend so got all the drivetrain mounted. Just need to cut the outers and fit the cables. Shes going to have to go into the LBS as the brake hoses from the GT are too short for the new frame and I am not good with brakes. Will get some new goodridge hoses for them as a treat :)

8235281657_321d02c11c.jpg

8235284399_ba2881083d.jpg
  • This is a really nice build so far. Look forward to seeing the ret of it.
    Family, Friends, Fantastic trails - what else is there

viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12898838
    viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12897374
  • The Rookie
    Looking really nice.....

Avid brakes I assume?
  • Yeah, elixir R's. Would like to upgrade them to Shimano SLX at some point but not got the funds at present.
  • The Rookie
    Personally I'd sell them and get some used XT's, every Avid brake I try feels like it's a Juicy3, while every Shimano feels like XT/R.
  • The GT was my 1st 'real' bike for years so I cant really comment. However, all I hear is good things about Shimano brakes. Maybe when I change the wheels i'll do them too.
  • Looks a sweet build there bobcheese. All you need now is blue rim decals...

Personally I quite like Elixirs and wouldn't swap, but I'm in the minority on this board.
  • bobcheese
    been a while but all pretty much complete now. Just a little issue to sort with chain but she has had a few local rides recently and i'm happy with how she rides :D Think the Thompson seat post is going to have to go as it doesn't agree with the seat tube angle. I may go for a 27.2 dropper post (X fusion hilo or KS i7) but we will see. New rear brake hose is a little long too so it will get shortened before the summer but cant be arsed at min just want to ride it instead.

8359314982_c08364333d.jpg

8359313152_b761ca242e.jpg

8359317008_a5aeb9be6a.jpg

Genesis Abyss frame 16.5"
    RockShox revelation 409 dual air (140mm)
    SXL 10 speed shifters, cranks(2 x 10), XT front mech & rear SLX shadow plus mech
    Avid Elixir R brakes
    Thompson Elite seatpost
    Superstar Vector Bars 700mm
    Superstar Zenith stem 65mm
    Wellgo B54 pedals
    Alex Rims SX44
    Maxis Ignitor tyres
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    You say rebuild - is it just me or is all you kept the forks, wheels and brakes??
    Looks good though :)
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • The Rookie
    Rear mech and shifters look carry over?
  • hucking_fell
    hucking_fell Posts: 1,056
    That's really smart 8)

You could remove the red Superstar logo from the stem with a nail polish remover pad. I did this with the stems on my kid's bikes. They're both black Superstar stems but as long as the blue colour is anodised you'll be fine.
    More freerange chicken than Freeride God
    Bighit , 5 , BFe
  • ilovedirt
    Rear mech and shifters look carry over?
    They're not.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • That looks pretty good! I like it
  • bobcheese
    @ Hucking Fell, might give that a try will see. The white on the bars is already rubbing off so this may come off yet.

@ ilovedirt. NO....pedals and saddle too :) You know how it is, once you start with new stuff it just goes crazy.

Thanks for the comments guys
  • ilovedirt
    Haha yep, I know exactly how that is :P enjoy her
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5