Wow! Its windy today

damov2
damov2 Posts: 66
edited January 2013 in Road beginners
Anyone else manage to get out this morning? I went out thinking it wouldn't be that windy, but there were times were I felt like I was going backwards :oops: , but looking on the bright side it wasn't raining and I managed my first ever 80km ride :D

http://app.strava.com/activities/38807118

Comments

• elderone
    elderone Posts: 1,410
    Congrats on the 50 miler,nice one.Not only windy as a windy thing here but rain/hail so another day when bike stays in.
    Dulce et decorum est Pro patria mori
  • damov2
    damov2 Posts: 66
    elderone wrote:
    Congrats on the 50 miler,nice one.Not only windy as a windy thing here but rain/hail so another day when bike stays in.

I was lucky as the rain passed through East Anglia early AM its nice and sunny!
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,121
    Managed 45 miles today.

Forecast was sunshine all day but got caught in a hail shower about 12 miles from home and a couple of short rain showers elsewhere. There was a good 5 minutes of heavy hail just after I got in.

Wind wasn't too bad except in a few exposed places where it was blowing sideways. The roads were mostly nice and quiet though.
  • wavefront
    wavefront Posts: 397
    Yup, had a cracking ride with a mate this morning around the Surrey hills. Rain stopped at 9.30 - I was straight out at 9.31 !!! There was quite a wind, and I usually curse it, but it was so glorious, sunny and warm today that I really didn't mind. I think I came back too early though as it's still looks lovely, and my legs are nagging me to go out again!
  • peat
    peat Posts: 1,242
    too windy for the roadie. Too wet and muddy for the MTB (couldnt be ar$ed to clean it...). So, i went for a WALK! Kept it over a whopping 4mph though. Neeeeooow!
  • philwint
    philwint Posts: 763
    Just did a 25 mile post fettle shakedown ride (new cassette & stem). But yes what a wind! Had it in my face for the first bit, then a gusty side wind for the rest. Lovely day to be out though :D
  • It sure is windy! Just got back from my first ride for a couple of weeks...

I was rubbish... considering that I did almost 70 miles a few weeks ago, a mere 15 just now seems a bit pathetic. I didn't quite have to get off and walk on the last hill but it felt like I might have to at one point, solely due to the wind.

Nice to have been out though.
    damov2 wrote:
    ... I managed my first ever 80km ride :D
    'Grats!!
    Is the gorilla tired yet?
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    Damn right its windy !!! New route, steady climb for the last 9miles, 20mph headwind !

Fortunately I can add that to the list of excuses for struggling today :lol:
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • Yep, out with a mate for a cheeky 25k, post fettle. Loved it, although got caught in a heavy shower early on. Felt like I could've ridden forever today, but time was not my friend :(

Have to make do with my commute for the rest of the week!
    Boardman 8.9 SLR - Summer
    Holdsworth La Quelda - Commuter
    Moda Intro - Winter
    Planet X Stealth - TT
  • Whufcrule
    Whufcrule Posts: 131
    Today was first time out on my new road bike used to be mtb my god the dif in speed is unreal I felt like I was going 100mph haha so fast I'm totally hooked done 21 miles first ride on way back wind was in my face whole time it's true I felt like I was going backwards shocking but so happy to be out there on a road bike totally hooked now
  • Gpfanuk
    Gpfanuk Posts: 142
    As I am new to road cycling I am going out each Sunday morning and gradually increasing my mileage in readiness for my first Sportive (Wiggle Cheshire Cat). Could not believe how much the wheels caught crosswinds and at one stage going downhill in a headwind I had to change down in order to keep reasonable progress! Twenty five miles later though it was well worth it, I'm addicted! :D
    Muddy Fox Hardtail Circa 1998
    Triban3
    Felt AR5
    ANC Halfords Peugeot (restored and ridden at Eroica 2015)
    A box of bits that will make a fine Harry Hall when I get round to it.
    Raleigh tandem of as yet unknown vintage - ongoing restoration for Eroica 2016
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    Yep managed 60 miles on the club run today. The wind we could cope with but the flooded roads were the issue.

Had to make several detours and even then ended up going through 2 stretches (about 30 meter each) over the wheel hubs. Wet feet and now have to strip the BB and wheel hubs. :cry:

Still beats sitting on the couch :-)
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • neilg7777
    neilg7777 Posts: 142
    Why strip the the BB and wheel hubs, I ask as i did 30 miles today and had to go through a couple of floods which went above hubs. Shoes now on radiator to dry out for another wet ride tomorow. Will the water damage them as they got just as wet with the rain and Hail I got today (god that hail hurts when it gets through the gaps on the helmet)
    Neil
  • dabber
    dabber Posts: 1,924
    smidsy wrote:

Had to make several detours and even then ended up going through 2 stretches (about 30 meter each) over the wheel hubs. Wet feet and now have to strip the BB and wheel hubs. :cry:

Still beats sitting on the couch :-)

Yes, the puddles were the worst but luckily the ones (many) I encountered weren't as bad as that.

I stayed away from the areas I knew would be flooded but later in the day I drove though some bits of one of my regular routes and there was masses of water and mud.
    “You may think that; I couldn’t possibly comment!”

Wilier Cento Uno SR/Wilier Mortirolo/Specialized Roubaix Comp/Kona Hei Hei/Calibre Bossnut
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    neilg7777 wrote:
    Why strip the the BB and wheel hubs. Will the water damage them as they got just as wet with the rain and Hail I got today

Because I am a bit anal about such thing.

My BB was already sounding gritty, and if I had not lost the shed key yesterday I would have changed it. Obviously the Gods were looking down on me and hid the key so I would not waste my time.

Anyway I run under the old addidge of look after your kit and it will look after you.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412
    Good work anyone who got out today - I went for a walk along the river earlier (I know, I know - but I did ride a reasonably long way yesterday) and it was very windy down here in Londontown.

Lots of flooding to contend with as well - number of friends tweeting adventures in knee high water today.

It's great now the snow and ice is receding, but bringing a whole load of different challenges! Winter is such bloody hard work!
  • TakeTurns
    TakeTurns Posts: 1,075
    Very windy indeed. Especially towards the evening. One of the top 3 windiest days I've experienced. Earlier today, whilst going up hill at Richmond Park. There was a sudden gust of wind which made the rider ahead of me loose control and veer straight into oncoming traffic. He seemed extremely shaken by the ordeal. He was a bit of a looni' though, at the start of the climb he didn't seem to know which side of the road he was meant to be on.

The key to avoiding a situation like that would be to anticipate the wind and know how to counter it.
  • was quite windy but i'm Battlecruiser class weight so wind in terms of being buffeted about isn't problem.

went for a just shy of 50 miles around the north downs, on the SS.
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    Yes it was pretty challenging today. Was planning to go on a fairly busy rural road but the cross wind made that rather dangerous so managed 20 pootling around local loops in the small ring
  • First post!

Glad I wasn't the only one changing down going downhill today.45 miles felt like 100 but glad I went out.
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    I was being passed at 60 and being blown towards the middle of the road... Not good
  • I went out for a post Sunday lunch pootle and thought that it was tough into the wind...I had a front puncture! Billy whizz on the way home :)
  • Horrendous hangover today, didn't feel sober enough to head out till 2pm. Then horrendous 30mph headwinds for the first 12 miles! Great ride back though, hangover gone, 16 miles of tailwinds. :-)
  • My first ever ride on my road bike yesterday. Managed 13.5 miles in the wind.

Loved (almost) every minute of it, and can't wait to get a) fitter and b) warmer by the time Spring and Summer come around!
  • marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412
    TakeTurns wrote:
    Very windy indeed. Especially towards the evening. One of the top 3 windiest days I've experienced. Earlier today, whilst going up hill at Richmond Park. There was a sudden gust of wind which made the rider ahead of me loose control and veer straight into oncoming traffic. He seemed extremely shaken by the ordeal. He was a bit of a looni' though, at the start of the climb he didn't seem to know which side of the road he was meant to be on.

The key to avoiding a situation like that would be to anticipate the wind and know how to counter it.

Was he on deep section rims???

Scary stuff though.

It's sometimes hard to anticipate when a crosswind is going to hit you, but sometimes it's easy (gates/gaps in hedgerows coming up etc.).

Glad to have had a day off the bike though - pretty lucky with the weather on Saturday and got in my longest day of the year so far.