High winds

twoshots
twoshots Posts: 58
edited February 2013 in Commuting general
So now all our snow has melted the forecast shows 55 mph wind gusts during the homeward commute.

Should I find another mode of transport? I'm on a mostly rural 10 mile commute.

What do the rest of you good people do on such days?

Comments

• Ber Nard
    Ber Nard Posts: 827
    twoshots wrote:
    What do the rest of you good people do on such days?

I tend to swear more than usual.

Rob
  • gaz79
    gaz79 Posts: 28
    I'm also unsure what to do tomorrow. Ive got a 30mph cross wind to deal with on my ride home. Its meant to be calm first thing so i'm tempted just to go for it and worry about the return journey when the time comes. Really hate catching the train. 55 mph gusts seem a bit extreme though.
  • Gaz79 wrote:
    I'm also unsure what to do tomorrow. Ive got a 30mph cross wind to deal with on my ride home. Its meant to be calm first thing so i'm tempted just to go for it and worry about the return journey when the time comes. Really hate catching the train. 55 mph gusts seem a bit extreme though.

Depends on the road you ride? I don't stop riding if it's windy (well not so far) but my commute is mainly rural.
  • gaz79
    gaz79 Posts: 28
    Its fairly busy in places and I have been buffeted about by strong cross winds before. A direct head wind would'nt be so bad but I don't like the thought of being blown into the traffic.
  • well don't chance it if you're not sure, not point in taking an unnecessary risk?
  • Must admit for the first time ever i bottled it and took the train, i can live with a headwind but a side wind is not much fun risked it on monday at regretted it, actually smiled that i had made it home alive when i pulled into my drive. Back on the bike next week :-)
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    I don't mind it. But then my winter commuter and I have a lot of, shall we say, inertia? A combined wheel weight of ~3kg and 32mm tyres will offer stability where 1.6kg and 23mm will not!
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • The high winds and rain are keeping me awake ahead of my 16 mile cycle in to work tomorrow. Hoping the wind subsides, I can deal with the rain but it'll make the dirt track part of the commute a lot less fun in clippy SPD SLs. Harumph!
  • Burndust
    Burndust Posts: 100
    well its been fairly breezy here for the past week...hasn't stopped me, but then i only have a short commute, but its all uphill on the way home...certainly makes it interesting and must be doing wonders for the old fitness level
    Boardman CX Team
    Carerra Crossfire 2
  • My commute's all rural. I keep riding in high winds but I'm really careful when riding past gaps in hedges/farm gates if the wind is from the side. The sudden strong gusts can literally knock you off if you're not ready for them. I wouldn't fancy a city/urban commute in the same conditions when there's traffic and other obstacles about.