Looks like another turbo session...

richsieb
richsieb Posts: 137
edited January 2013 in Road general
Was hoping that last night's rain would have cleared the snow off the roads to allow me to join my group ride session. Took me too falls on ice within about twenty metres of each other to deduce it wasn't happening. Kinda depressed really because I've got lots of new goodies i've put on the bike i wanted to test out, and I finished the three exams I had last week so I was really looking forward to getting out again, but i guess it will have to wait until next week :cry:

Comments

• richsieb
    But on the plus side, my bar tape is a little scuffed and ripped slightly from the spill. I've been wanting to replace it for a while but couldn't justify the purchase to be honest. Now I can :lol: Every cloud...
  • ShutUpLegs
    ShutUpLegs Posts: 3,522
    Interesting
  • Think most people are in the same boat, guess the rain wasn't as heavy as expected. However with the sun as it is most should have gone by today if not tomorrow.
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    richsieb wrote:
    Was hoping that last night's rain would have cleared the snow off the roads to allow me to join my group ride session. Took me too falls on ice within about twenty metres of each other to deduce it wasn't happening. Kinda depressed really because I've got lots of new goodies i've put on the bike i wanted to test out, and I finished the three exams I had last week so I was really looking forward to getting out again, but i guess it will have to wait until next week :cry:

To all you 'look at me out in the snow, aren't I harder than you' types take note.

This is why you are simply lucky. :wink:
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • letap73
    letap73 Posts: 1,608
    Strange the learner motorcyclist I encountered this morning seemed oblivious to the dangers of the road despite wobbling a few times :( .
  • philwint
    philwint Posts: 763
    smidsy wrote:

To all you 'look at me out in the snow, aren't I harder than you' types take note.

This is why you are simply lucky. :wink:

Only "lucky" if we don't fall off. 'Hard' if we do, and think "hey it's only falling off a bike*" :wink:

That being said, I am wimping out personally - just about to take the MTB out instead of the road one.
  • richsieb
    Yeah i normally wouldn't even bother risking taking it out but it's normally fine once i get up onto the main roads. This was all before even getting to them aha
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    The roads around here were treacherous first thing (lot's of patchy black ice on the side roads). All cleared up now and recorded temps up to 4 degrees so I am off for a spin around, sticking to the main roads. First ride outside for about 2 weeks, then a 75 mile club training ride tomorrow morning, no stops...that will hurt :)
  • Calpol
    Calpol Posts: 1,039
    After breaking my arm last year and losing 4 weeks in mid summer I am not risking any borderline ice riding. Recovering from such accidents when you work full time and are 40+ is not easy so I will make do with the odd turbo session for now.
  • philwint
    philwint Posts: 763
    Calpol wrote:
    After breaking my arm last year and losing 4 weeks in mid summer I am not risking any borderline ice riding. Recovering from such accidents when you work full time and are 40+ is not easy so I will make do with the odd turbo session for now.

Absolutely - I was not implying any criticism of anyone. Every bodies situations and aspirations are unique, so saying "I do it this way so so should you" is incredibly stupid.
  • I personally do NOT ride in slush/flood conditions...it's just not for me....I'm lucky in that I have a x trainer and a Concept2 rower in my garage...and give myself a proper workout on a combination of one or both of these.
    Just wondered if anyone else used alternatives to just turbos?
    I was considering approaching "the chancellor" (wife) to sound out buying a WattBike as well!!!

Needless to say the garage is not used to house cars in any way!!!!!!
  • saprkzz
    saprkzz Posts: 592
    The main roads and well used country roads were fine, managaed to complete a 50 mile ride. It was only when we went up into the hills it got slushly, but pick the tarmac bit and all was well.
  • richsieb
    I was considering approaching "the chancellor" (wife) to sound out buying a WattBike as well!!!

I really can't see the attraction in them for that price just for personal use to be honest. Even with the British cycling discount it's still astoundingly expensive. Give me a nice 2k bike and a turbo trainer and i'd be more happy :lol:
  • Camus
    Camus Posts: 189
    I personally do NOT ride in slush/flood conditions...it's just not for me....I'm lucky in that I have a x trainer and a Concept2 rower in my garage...and give myself a proper workout on a combination of one or both of these.
    Just wondered if anyone else used alternatives to just turbos?

Needless to say the garage is not used to house cars in any way!!!!!!

Don't own a turbo or rollers so when it's bad weather I just go in the gym, does an exercise bike count? :lol:
  • de_sisti
    de_sisti Posts: 1,283
    richsieb wrote:
    Took me too falls on ice within about twenty metres of each other to deduce it wasn't happening. ......... and I finished the three exams I had last week ...... :cry:
    What subject was the exam that you took?
  • peat
    peat Posts: 1,242
    The vale i'm in was flooded with snow melt, so i headed out up the hills to the south.

Just a couple of hundred feet makes a difference. The snow was still up there and the lanes were covered in compressed snow/ice. Had to walk about a mile. Totally jammed up my cleats with ice. Had to pick them clean with a stone. yay....
  • Markjaspi
    Markjaspi Posts: 729
    I braved it last week, but don't want to push my luck any further, the rain is pretty hard so hoping the snow will be gone amd the temp will rose tomorrow so I can get out, if in doubt I'll hit a spin bike at the gym I think.
    Cipollini Bond
    Pinarello GAN
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    Very fortunate here in Cornwall, excellent riding conditions today. There's only been a couple of days when it hasn't been possible to get out on the roads and a nice comfy gym has been necessary
  • richsieb
    What subject was the exam that you took?
    I am shocked at my own mistake as I pride myself in having a high standard of grammatical ability. I apologise sincerely. :cry: