Exercise induced headaches

renevat
renevat Posts: 56
edited February 2013 in Road beginners
Hi all
Just returned to cycling after a break of about 15 years :oops: . Used to take part in duathlons but after some time started getting headaches a few hours after training etc. Doc prescribed some pills and told me to give them a try for a month and see if they helped, did for a short while but then made no real difference, doc prescribed some different pills but on a two month trial but I said no - I couldn't see the point of making myself ill just to see if the pills worked :x so I just packed it all in.

Now at 57 bought myself a new bike and started training for sportives. Before the bad weather I did some road stuff, steadily building up the mileage and did get a few of the headaches, :cry: also do some turbo training and sometimes get the headaches :cry: .

Can anyone out there in bikeradar land help :?: I am sure it is fairly common and other folk have methods of preventing/recovering/curing the situation. Am I going to do myself any long term damage by persisting with riding and causing these headaches? I really do love being out on the bike and would not like to pack it all in again.

Any help would be most appreciated. Many thanks.

Comments

• team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    drink more water, dehydration causes head aches

warm up exercise before exertion as blood vessels in the brain contract and can cause headaches

eat carbs 15 minutes before exercise as low bood sugar (hypoglycemia or the bonk) causes headaches
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • ShutUpLegs
    ShutUpLegs Posts: 3,522
    As above, plus see another doctor
  • JackPozzi
    JackPozzi Posts: 1,191
    Above is good advice. Another option could be sinus related, do you suffer exercise induced rhinitis (ie massive excess of snot while riding!) at all? I sometimes suffer from severe sinusitis headaches after rides, especially in colder weather, found that sinutab helps to numb the headache and I think that using a saline nasal spray a couple of times a week helps to prevent it
  • Lightning
    Lightning Posts: 360
    It's most likely dehydration. I drink a lot during every ride, but if I don't keep forcing water for about two hours after the ride (and I really mean forcing), I always get a headache. It really sucks to have to drink so much water I feel like I'm about to puke, but it's better than having an headache for the entire day.
  • I sometimes have this problem - like others in the thread I have concluded it's a mix of low blood sugar and dehydration, so I try to make sure I eat immediately after I finish and drink plenty. I also take painkillers early - e.g. as soon as I have the faintest suspicion a headache is coming on - which seems to ward them off. Finally, the frequency seems to have diminished as I have become fitter (maybe more efficient at burning fat?).

For a run down of what is known (not much!) about the various types of headache/migraine associated with sport, try: http://www.migrainetrust.org/research-a ... 2011-13815
  • renevat
    renevat Posts: 56
    Wow thanks guys. Some great thoughts there and I shall start working on my hydration and see if that helps. thanks again.
  • renevat wrote:
    Hi all
    Just returned to cycling after a break of about 15 years :oops: . Used to take part in duathlons but after some time started getting headaches a few hours after training etc. Doc prescribed some pills and told me to give them a try for a month and see if they helped, did for a short while but then made no real difference, doc prescribed some different pills but on a two month trial but I said no - I couldn't see the point of making myself ill just to see if the pills worked :x so I just packed it all in.

Now at 57 bought myself a new bike and started training for sportives. Before the bad weather I did some road stuff, steadily building up the mileage and did get a few of the headaches, :cry: also do some turbo training and sometimes get the headaches :cry: .

Can anyone out there in bikeradar land help :?: I am sure it is fairly common and other folk have methods of preventing/recovering/curing the situation. Am I going to do myself any long term damage by persisting with riding and causing these headaches? I really do love being out on the bike and would not like to pack it all in again.

Any help would be most appreciated. Many thanks.

Could be a tumor of some sort so get it checked. What happens is that during excersize your brain uses lots of water. However a tumor or other abnormality could be disrupting the flow of fluid around the brain causing pain, nausea, dizziness or even fainting.
  • BikeRader wrote:
    Could be a tumor of some sort so get it checked.
    So what sort of brain tumour causes problems, then stops causing problems for 15 years, then starts up again after all that time?
    Is the gorilla tired yet?
  • BikeRader wrote:
    So what sort of brain tumour causes problems, then stops causing problems for 15 years, then starts up again after all that time?

A classic case of sloth-induced remission, surely? :wink:
  • BikeRader wrote:

Tumors vary alot in symptoms and in some cases can lie dormant for long periods of time. It isnt known exactly what triggers recurrences but its believed to be certain types of life style will increase the chances of them happening. But im not a medical expert and all I can say is to go see a different quack as your entitled to a second opinion.
  • cornerblock
    cornerblock Posts: 3,228
    BikeRader wrote:
    BikeRader wrote:

Tumors vary alot in symptoms and in some cases can lie dormant for long periods of time. It isnt known exactly what triggers recurrences but its believed to be certain types of life style will increase the chances of them happening. But im not a medical expert and all I can say is to go see a different quack as your entitled to a second opinion.

Excellent news. We've been given our own forum doctor.
  • Whereabouts in your head do you feel the aches? I ask because I often get muscle tension aches that starts in my shoulders and in the back of my neck and end up giving me headaches. I know a decent bike fit session is the way forwards and will be planning one for myself for the very near future. Maybe something like that could help you too?
  • I can suffer from the same thing, sometimes more like a migraine than a headache that'll last the rest of the day. Keeping cool and getting in some electrolytes help - I use SIS Go powder in a water bottle as it tends not to be too sweet.