Does anyone keep a riding journal?

Carl170
Carl170 Posts: 99
edited January 2013 in MTB general
Just wondered if anyone kept a riding journal or diary? I am slowly clocking up a few miles and would like to record journeys, mileage and maybe a few photos.

Does anyone know a good way fo doing this electronically, as opposed to putting it on paper?

Regards

Carl

Comments

• ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,392
    Erm, I used to but now i have a Garmin it sort of all goes on to Garmin Connect
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Carl170
    ddraver,

How exactly does it work, and what do you connect to it? Can you add any notes etc

Can you download the information, rather than just view it on the garmin website?

Cheers

Carl
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Strava
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • RevellRider
    RevellRider Posts: 1,794
    I use Strava to track where I've rode and sometimes put photos up on Facebook/Twitter, but at the moment all I seem to do is ride to and from work
  • It has occasionally occurred to me that it would be nice to look back and see what I rode, when, where for how long etc. However, I soon realised that doing so eats into my riding time, so I never did it. If you want this enough, I suggest you keep it simple and stick to it. It would be interesting to see how much more riding you do, how far, how often and compare distances, times etc but I would rather spend the time riding or planning rides.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Nope, I start, I ride, I finish.
    Then I go home and post random stuff.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Carl170
    cooldad wrote:
    Nope, I start, I ride, I finish.
    Then I go home and post random stuff.

That's pretty much me to a tee. However, as the rides and time pass by I would like to make some notes. Even if it's just the time, journey and distance. It might be interesting to look back on too.

Regards

Carl
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    Carl170 wrote:
    ddraver,

How exactly does it work, and what do you connect to it? Can you add any notes etc

Can you download the information, rather than just view it on the garmin website?

Cheers

Carl

You turn your Garmin unit on and record the ride, you get home and plug the Garmin into your PC/Laptop and upload the information to Garmin Connect. You can export total/individual/select rides in a CSV file to do with whatever you so wish.

You create goals on Garmin connect for any time period and any type of goal, although I don't think total women shagged is within the list.

Dead easy to operate, brilliant tool that saves time pissing about it does it all for you the end.
  • _jon_
    _jon_ Posts: 366
    I recorded mine on blogspot a couple of years ago but it only lasted a few months before I stopped. I posted details of the ride and uploaded photos, distances, gpx files etc.
  • bluechair84
    bluechair84 Posts: 4,352
    As mentioned, I record rides on Strava which uses the GPS from your phone. Dead easy. You could then faff about and put up pictures of rides and an embedded link to the strava data in a blog. It's all easy enough. But I don't think there exists a website that records your ride, stores it, then allows you to upload pictures of that ride. It would be a great idea as people browsing the site could see pictures of the trails too.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,392
    It has occasionally occurred to me that it would be nice to look back and see what I rode, when, where for how long etc. However, I soon realised that doing so eats into my riding time,

I used to scribble it down in the diary I used for work, at work on monday morning, did nt take more than 10 seconds....

The only thing I used it for was helping me plan rides during the week (when I was good and rode twice a week) so that I left a few weeks between going back to the same place
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Newfish
    Newfish Posts: 121
    I do, I don't take photo's or anything, although I feel I should, but I log each ride, where/when/how far etc. Also use runkeeper which plots the route so if I find a nice one I can repeat it.
    Cheers,
    Simon.
    I measure my annual mileage by how many chains, cassettes and brake pads I go through. I know from experience I usually get about 800 miles out of them and I change them about 4 times a year so roughly 3,000 miles a year.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • Strava does a pretty good job at covering my (basic) needs.
  • hallz
    hallz Posts: 12
    Yes I like to keep a blog of my riding. I also have all the data on Strava and Garmin connect but i do enjoy the blog and its good for keeping pictures together with the rides. Keeping it up to date can be challenging though!

http://www.wittonweavers.co.uk
  • dodgy
    dodgy Posts: 2,890
    Sporttracks is ideal for this, you can install plugins to add more stuff such as pictures (geotagged, formatted text in your notes pages, etc). And it all stays on your PC, so it's always available unlike some of the cloud based services, plus it's private, too.

I installed SportTracks when I got my first Garmin in early 2006, every ride and run I've done since then is in there and it's all backed up!

It's quite therapeutic to look back on old rides you did and remember the good (and bad) bits.
  • WindyG
    WindyG Posts: 1,099
    I log my rides with Runtastic on my phone, only the racing I don't log. I use it to monitor improvements and to log mileage and routes taken.
  • I use strava but not for anything other than tracking where I've been and personal targets.

Try Lovetracks. It's an app that crosses Strava with Instagram. Was a video of it kicking around today and looks like it'll meet your requirements.

Paul
    Family, Friends, Fantastic trails - what else is there

viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12898838
    viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12897374
  • Levi_501
    Levi_501 Posts: 1,105
    When I was cimmuting in London I kept a spreadsheet for all my commutes.

The spreadsheet also included costs, right down to tubes and lube. There was also a coloumn that was for adding in the underground fare, which offset agaisnt the price of the bike and any parts/consumables I bought.

Altough it sounds sad, well it is a bit sad, it is very interesting watching the spreadsheet grow.

All new parts were put in at full cost and any part I fitted that I already had went in at 50%
  • Carl170 wrote:
    ddraver,

Cheers

Carl

Either from a Garmin device, or you can manually input the data.

If you want to use something else then Training Peaks software is free & has a smart phone app for review also. I started using it last year and is rather like an online diary where the data is stored but you can also put your comments e.g. weather, how you feel etc for review later.
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I log my commuting miles as it's justification to SWMBO of the amount saved I can then spend on bits and pieces!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • concorde
    concorde Posts: 1,008
    I thought about it but then realised:

1.) I wasn't gay!
    2.) It's the 21st century and Strava can do all that for me.
  • RevellRider
    RevellRider Posts: 1,794
    You can now link your Instagram account to Strava. So any photos upload whilst on the ride will be linked to your Strava account