Sometimes I despair!

scale20
scale20 Posts: 1,300
edited January 2013 in MTB general
I bought a Whyte 129s from one of my local LBS's (not naming them) last weekend and to be honest my latest visit to them today just confirmed why I've never really bought anything from them.

The bike came with a Reverb fitted as standard but was missing the small cable guide that zip ties to the seatpost.

You know the one.

D_318ROCRV1.jpg

Before I went into LBS asking about it I visited another Whyte dealer in Shrewsbury (my LBS is not in Shrewsbury) just to confirm that the supplied Reverb on the bike actually came with a cable guide. It did.

So, I go in and I say to the fella, "I bought the Whyte 129s last weekend and it's missing the cable guide that zip ties to the back of the Reverb seatpost, it is supposed to come with one and I wonder if you have it, or one available here?"

Bloke- "let me see if we have another bike in"

They didnt have anothe bike in so he walks up to a bike in the shop, points at the cable guide on the front of the fork leg and says "is that it?"

Me- "No, thats a fork guide, not a seatpost guide!"

Bloke drags his ass to the place where they butcher peoples bikes chats to some other co-workers and comes back.

Bloke- "you got your bike with you?"

Me- Yeah it's on top of the car, why?"

Bloke- "can you bring it in so we can look at it?"

Me- "What do I need to bring it in to be looked at for? Im after the cableguide off the Reverb, Its not on there that's why I'm asking about it, if I bought the bike in there's nothing to see!

Bloke- Yeah, you're right

It was at this point that I was looking for Jeremy Beadles camera crew ;D I just cut my losses and said- "you know what, I will just go buy one!"

This shop sells some pretty high end Mountain Bikes so you would like to think that they know what a Reverb is and they know a fork from a seatpost! ;D

Sometimes people just make you want to curl up in a corner and cry ;D
Niner Air 9 Rigid
Whyte 129S 29er.

Comments

• concorde
    concorde Posts: 1,008
    Cool story bro!
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    They've sold one high end bike with a Reverb, but no cable guide. As you said it's not there, so they didn't notice it was missing. You spoke to the guy who knows about the road bikes.

One of those things.
  • So when he said "Yeah, you're right" why not just say "ok, so can you just go get me one of those plastic bits then please?"
    Probably just had a bit of a brainfart, we've all done it. "show me the bit that's missing"
    Did you not have your phone or anything to show him a pic of the bit you're talking about (as you posted above).

Sometimes I despair at how little patience some people have for shop staff because they don't know every single 5p bit on a bike off the top of their head.
  • zx6man
    zx6man Posts: 1,092

Sometimes I despair at how little patience some people have for shop staff because they don't know every single 5p bit on a bike off the top of their head.

The guy pointed at the forks when asked about a guide for the seatpost. :P
  • scale20
    zx6man wrote:

Yeah, and they asked me to take it in for it's first service in a few months, not a chance :D
    Niner Air 9 Rigid
    Whyte 129S 29er.
  • zx6man
    zx6man Posts: 1,092
    I wouldn't go that far, you may get your pads lubed for free due to the slight mistake.....
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    Just sounds like you being a dick to me?
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • scale20
    Cheers Sam :wink:
    Niner Air 9 Rigid
    Whyte 129S 29er.
  • ilovedirt
    Haha sorry bud, but do you really expect them to know what little bit of plastic you're after if they don't sell too many reverbs? Like someone else said, you probably got the roadie guy...
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • scale20
    Ha ha, no worries, if he was the roadie guy, he went and asked 2 other blokes and they didnt know either.
    Niner Air 9 Rigid
    Whyte 129S 29er.
  • ilovedirt
    What shop was that out of interest? I'm guessing it wasn't Revs, they're pretty clued up.
    Shoulda just been patient with them dude, it's not their fault if they don't know every little plastic accessory. I'm a total bike nerd and I wouldn't have known what you meant.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • scale20
    Nah not Revs.
    Niner Air 9 Rigid
    Whyte 129S 29er.
  • zx6man wrote:

Or, to look at it another way, he pointed at a cable guide when asked about a cable guide.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    And on another forum somewhere there is a thread about some cock coming in to a shop and getting all arsey with them for not knowing every component on a Reverb.

You and this dude should get together.
    viewtopic.php?f=10002&t=12901777
  • Tim.s
    Tim.s Posts: 515
    Is that it? You wrote that whole post for that? Really?

Also you have a 'no shox' thing as your avatar but the Whyte 129 is a full suss. Hypocrite.
    "Didn't hurt"
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    Tim.s wrote:
    Is that it? You wrote that whole post for that? Really?
    He does that. I once angered him by doing something so innocuous that I can;t even remember what it was. Btu he went completely and utterly bonkers.
    He's one of those people that's good fun to poke with a stick every now and again.
  • scale20
    Tim.s wrote:
    Also you have a 'no shox' thing as your avatar but the Whyte 129 is a full suss. Hypocrite.

Look at the one above it, idiot! :roll:
    Niner Air 9 Rigid
    Whyte 129S 29er.
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    see? :lol:
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Presumably he realised the one above it was a rubbish idea.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Tim.s
    Tim.s Posts: 515
    I think you should change the avatar, its misleading.
    "Didn't hurt"