What items do you carry when riding?

Midas Mk1
Midas Mk1 Posts: 2
edited January 2013 in Commuting chat
Hey All,

Im currently looking at designing a product for a Uni project, to help a cyclist on their commute, whether that be to work, or just out for a ride etc.

My question is what luggage do you carry? (can be any size item), what difficulties do you have when transporting this?.

For which method do you currently use to carry the luggage, eg. Rucksack, again what problems are found that you would like to see banished?

Finally, what items would you like to carry on a daily basis, but cannot?
If you could, what would be the one item you would like to carry the most?

Many Thanks for taking the time to reading this,
I look forward to the replies

Sam

Comments

• Midas Mk1 wrote:
    My question is what luggage do you carry? (can be any size item), what difficulties do you have when transporting this?.
    Depends. At the moment I most typically carry change of clothes, spare top, jacket, gloves, hat, spare tube + patches, mini-toolkit, pump, water bottle
    Midas Mk1 wrote:
    For which method do you currently use to carry the luggage, eg. Rucksack, again what problems are found that you would like to see banished?
    For commuting - rack and pannier, but this is awkward to carry far off the bike. If I need to walk far at the end of my journey I might use a rucksack but would rather not 'cause it gives me sweating back.
    Midas Mk1 wrote:
    Finally, what items would you like to carry on a daily basis, but cannot?
    Florence Colgate or her mum
    Midas Mk1 wrote:
    If you could, what would be the one item you would like to carry the most?
    Er, her mum, probably :oops:
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    I only carry spares and tools: tube, tool, lever, patches, CO2, micropump - all in a bottle-type carrier. A Featherlite jacket and my phone in my jersey pockets. That's it.

If I could carry less, I would
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    A map highlighting all pubs on route, you never know could save my life
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Mikey41
    Mikey41 Posts: 690
    Spare tube, patches, multitool, tyre levers, pump.

Packed lunch (work only), phone, keys, thin waterproof, maybe a fresh shirt (work only).

For work I take a backpack, I know it makes me sweat a bit, but it's only 20mins and I can live with that. On leisure rides I carry as little as possible.
    Giant Defy 2 (2012)
    Giant Defy Advanced 2 (2013)
    Giant Revel 1 Ltd (2013)
    Strava
  • woodnut
    woodnut Posts: 562
    I always carry a rucksack for commuting, off road and on road leisure riding. The sweaty back thing has never really bothered me, as I sweat anyway (yurgh). Always carry tube, p******e repair kit, pump, multitool. If I'm on my MTB I need to carry a spanner as it's a hub gear. If commuting, I need to take a top and underwear, occasionally trousers.Phone , wallet, keys.
    I'm always astonished how heavy my bag is, but I don't really know what I could ditch!
  • Tool kit, head torch (in winter, ever tried fixing a puncture in the dark?), reading glasses (see previous comment), mini pump, waterproofs. Packed lunch. Clean underpants, socks & shirt. All in a dedicated bag on a rack.

Would like somewhere to hang my shirt whilst riding so it doesn't get dirty, wet and creased. This facility shouldn't affect the aerodynamics of the bike or distract other road users.

I would also like someone to invent a glass magnet and a device for extracting milk from my tea when I've accidentally put too much in.
  • I have a short commute so normally just the contents of my saddle bag, ie tubes and so on.
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    Tools, tubes and levers all go in the saddle bag.

For work I generally take underwear, a shirt or t-shirt, 13" laptop and associated gubbins (power, external drive, mouse, charger cables for lights, garmin and phone). Then I've got phone, wallet, keys and work pass.

Then I generally rotate my jeans, shoes, jumper and towel at work. I change one each day.

I also carry a waterproof jacket and have room for things like overshoes and bib tights if its going to be, say, freezing in the morning and 10c at home time.

At the moment I either use an Alpkit Gourdon 20l rucksack or a Rapha Large City Bag. Both are excellent.

I used to use panniers sometimes but 99% of the time they aren't needed.

My commute is between 15 and 21 miles each way.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    I carry for commuting:

small saddlebag:

2 spare tubes; levers, allen keys

berghaus 24/7 25l rucksack, ensconsed in a Rapha waterproof cover:

small pump, pants, socks, travel towel, keys, wallet, non-iron shirt, trousers.

I leave shoes and 2 suit jackets at work. This combo works fine for me.
  • daddy0
    daddy0 Posts: 686
    I only carry spares and tools: tube, tool, lever, patches, CO2, micropump - all in a bottle-type carrier.

Where can I find a bottle carrier such as this MRS?

At the moment I sometimes commute with no luggage at all - if I get a p******e then I can walk to a LBS, they're dotted all over the place on my commute. But when I am travelling out of shop hours then I will take a rucksack which will contain:
    pump
    PRK
    spare tube
    multi tool
    wallet (with the change taken out)
    office and house keys
    base layer and a jumper if its going to get colder
    USB key

As I drive into work a lot I don't need to carry clothes on the bike, my bottom desk drawer is a mini wardrobe. If I know I'm going to be riding the next day I leave the laptop on my desk.
  • nehal
    nehal Posts: 18
    When commuting I carry the following:

Rucksack - A change of clothes, bike lock (u - lock and cable) if I don't leave it where I lock it.

On bike - water bottle, front and back lights, speedometer

Saddle bag - mini pump, spare tube, multi-tool, carrier bag, puncture pads, tyre levers

If I am not commuting and just riding for fun, its the same as above minus the rucksack.

I would like to carry my lock on a daily basis in a convenient way, I find that the clip on attachment that came with it is no use now that I use a bottle cage in the same space on the frame. I don't really want to carry more, in fact I want to carry less.
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    I would like a lightweight device or kit of parts that allows me to clip a rucksack to the rear triangle of my bike like a pannier, without needing a rack.

I usually use a rucksack to carry my lunch, clothes, washing kit and a few other small items (i.e. wallet, phone, headtorch for unscheduled deflations). It's a 27l rucksack but I don't fill it completely. The showers are a long way from my locker, so I tend to carry the kit to and from work rather than leave some of it in my locker. I have used panniers in the past, but stopped because they are too bulky and uncomfortable to carry around the factory and don't have enough compartments to separate all my gear the way I like. Plus I only tend to use my bike-with-a-rack in winter as it's also the only one with mudguards, so in the summer panniers aren't an option anyway.

There are no items that I wish I could bring to work every day aside from the ones I already do.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • I commute 20 mile round trip which includes a train ride.

So I carry:

Two tubes
    Pump
    Link tool
    Links
    Multi tool
    Phone
    Wallet
    Kindle
    Spare light batteries
    Puncture repair kit
    Shirts for work (mondays only)
    18 eggs (Thursdays)
    Dirty shirt (home leg only every day.
    Fruit
    Potters Loaf (home leg Fridays)
    --
    Saw a sign on a restaurant that said Breakfast, any time -- so I ordered French Toast in the Renaissance.
  • DrLex
    DrLex Posts: 2,142
    Guilt, existential dread and a small amount of self-loathing. Oh, and a tenner.
  • Daddy0 wrote:
    Where can I find a bottle carrier such as this MRS?

I would imagine something like:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... tedKingdom

or:

http://www.bicyclehero.com/gb/bicycle-h ... 3god6VYAfw
  • MrSweary
    MrSweary Posts: 1,699
    What do I carry? The flippin' kitchen sink!I have nowhere at work to leave stuff so no choice really.

Work clothes - pants, socks, trews and shirt.
    Travel towel.
    Lightweight waterproof if it looks like rain.
    Small bottle of shower gel and shampers.
    Multi-tool.
    Spare inner tube, hand pump and tire levers.
    Wallet, keys and phone.

My chosen method is rucksack - although I need a smaller one. I have a 35l Berghaus which is a wonderful daysack but too hefty for commuting. Will be getting a 20-25 shortly.

If I could leave anything out I would but sadly it isn't really an option.
    Kinesis Racelite 4s disc
    Kona Paddy Wagon
    Canyon Roadlite Al 7.0 - reborn as single speed!
    Felt Z85 - mangled by taxi.
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    Everything,

Change of clothes, Shirt, Trousers, Socks and Pants (A jumper if its chilly)
    Shoes (although i must start leaving these at work)
    Tools, Multi tool, two tubes. latex gloves, tyre levers, small bottle of lube.
    Wash Kit.
    food.
    Lock.

All in a Rucksack.

Phone, keys, Wallet. in Jersey Pocket.

Pump - on the bike.

Basically i carry loads and must get the weight down somehow.
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • The same as most above, but all in a rucsack.

Two ideas/needs:

1 - when I have Laptop/Ipad with me I am scared of falling off and crushing them, I've done silly mistakes such as cacking up clipping in which has almost caused this.

2 - All my gear is on my back, so when I have a 'did I pack my phone/wallet/spare tube' type panic or if I want to ditch the skull cap and switch it to the cotton cap in my bag, it's stop the bike, take rucsack off routine, something on the shoulder strap would be really handy. My pack has little pockets I can reach while riding but only enough for keys/key cards and a bit of oil.
    If I know you, and I like you, you can borrow my bike box for £30 a week. PM for details.
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    1 - when I have Laptop/Ipad with me I am scared of falling off and crushing them, I've done silly mistakes such as cacking up clipping in which has almost caused this.

I bent a laptop chassis when a pannier made a bid for freedom one day.

In order to open and close it I had to push the screen and keyboard in opposite directions horizontally.

Good job it was the clients and not mine.

Now I'm travelling with my own I use a zeroshock case. It should be great, but I use an ultrabook and its just slides about inside the case,
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • The usual toolkit in a frame bag, if I'm taking a packed lunch I have a largeish waist pack that my butty box and a yoghurt happily fit into with space left over. Anything more bulky and its panniers. I have an Altura suit bag that can transport formal clothing happily enough but would usually have a car day once in a while to replenish my stock of work shirts. The used clothing comes home every day or so in a spare pocket or in the waist pack.
    I have a couple of rucksacks but can't remember the last time they were used.

I'm really struggling to think of any drawbacks to this set up or any improvements that I need
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    In my backpack/cyclebag:

Multitool
    Tyre Levers
    folding tyre
    2 tubes
    15mm spanner for track nuts
    10mm spanner for seatpost
    Lights
    Crank Brother high pressure pump
    spare rim tape
    A few nylon ties - cable ties
    Spare base layer - merino
    waterproof shorts
    waterproof shoe covers
  • I have a largeish waist pack
    Is that a largeish pack that you happen to secure around your waist, or any old pack designed to go around a larger waist?
    The reason I ask is that Mrs WBW still hasn't gotten over me commenting on her ample bum bag... :roll:
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,439
    When I was commuting full time I used one of these

offroad-trunk-bag-5-grey-black-side-stock-M.jpg

In it I kept 2x tubes, chain link, multi tool, lunch, shirt, undercrackers, socks, work pass, phone, wallet and occasionally a very light jacket if rain was likely. Pump was attached to the bike. Shoes and trousers lived at work, I could stuff a pair of trews in on the way home for washing by extending the top part.

It was a slightly odd shape, I think to stop it catching your thighs, so the end nearest the seatpost was very narrow so not ideal. It was the best solution for me though, it could have done with being a bit squarer and a touch bigger (that one is 10l expandable to 12) 15l would be perfect. It didn't swing about, let me use my jersey pockets and didn't make me sweaty.

Couldn't carry a laptop in it though. And would be awkward to carry a long way if you have to park your bike a distance from work.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • stuj15
    stuj15 Posts: 167
    Saddle bag :
    Co2 Pump
    2 tubes
    tire levers
    A couple of pairs of latex gloves
    Multi-tool

Top tube bag:
    Magicshine battery (easier to take off the bike every night/morning)

25l Rucksack - with Hump cover :
    Spare Shirt, Pants, Socks (+ 2 jeans and towel twice a week*)
    Rain Jacket
    Ipad
    Phone
    Wallet
    Keys
    Work pass
    Mini Pump
    Spare riding socks/gloves incase the morning pair have not dried off.
    Hat & leg warmers if used in the morning and too warm on the way home.

Never have a problem with using the rucksack. My back would be dripping even if I wasn't using it.

Monday morning and Friday night I look like a pack horse.
  • yocto
    yocto Posts: 86
    I carry all my stuff in a Carradice Pendle saddle bag which is attached to my bike via their quick release system.

Left pocket: spare tube, bike tools, tyre levers, other repair misc (zip ties, patches etc).

Right pocket: waterproof trousers (the cheap hiking variety (treated with Nikwax)) and shoe covers. Would like to fit my water resistant jacket in here but not enough space.

Main compartment: trousers, shirt, jumper, socks pants (rest of my stuff is at work), lunch, bike pump (mini track pump type). There is enough space for a few other little things if needs be (d-lock, wallet etc). Also a water-resistant wind jacket, if I'm not wearing it.

I have a shoulder strap attached to the bag for ease of carrying it around off the bike. Not comfortable but does the job. Only thing I would improve is that it were expandable incase I take/ bring anything substantial with me, like a laptop. Having said that though, the Carridice Nelson Longflap would cover this, I clearly bought the wrong one!

Plus points: waterproof, good styling, looks better than rack and panniers
    Negative points: can’t carry as much as with rack and panniers, so not so useful when shopping.
  • I have a largeish waist pack
    Is that a largeish pack that you happen to secure around your waist, or any old pack designed to go around a larger waist?

fourkandles :wink:
    The reason I ask is that Mrs WBW still hasn't gotten over me commenting on her ample bum bag... :roll:

HaHa, just for future reference, the answer to 'does my bum look big in this?' should never be ' why not, it does in everything else'