What average speed does a beginner go ?

VTech
VTech Posts: 4,736
I am joining my local cycle club and they have several rides weekly, based on distance and speed.

I am 40, overweight by 2st and dont really excursive at all.

But...... I rarely start something I dont finish so I have faith my brain will not give up unless my body packs up first. :mrgreen:

My question is, what do you reckon my speed would be on a road bike over a 20 mile trip ?
Living MY dream.

Comments

• To be honest you'll be better going with the slowest group to start with. They will look after you pretty well, as should have a don't leave anyone behind policy (pretty common in the intro/slower group rides), learn a bit about how to ride in group safely & also meet other members of the club.

If you feel after the first week that you could move up a group then you can always move up then.
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • mattshrops
    mattshrops Posts: 1,134
    Good way to find out is to buy a cheap computer and go out and ride 20 miles. You'll be a bit quicker in a group once you get used to holding a wheel.

Thread should probably be in road beginners?
    Death or Glory- Just another Story
  • 16mm
    16mm Posts: 545
    VTech wrote:
    But...... I rarely start something I dont finish so I have faith my brain will not give up unless my body packs up first.
    If you ride with fast groups you'll get used to having your body pack up, and starting something you don't finish. Cycling with faster riders makes you humble very quickly. Start with the slowest group:-)
    On the flat 15 = slowish, 18 = moderate 19 + quick, 21 + summer quick, 25 = 4 cat Road Race. Thats mph, average for a circular or out and back route.
  • VTech
    16mm, the question wasnt aimed at thinking I could be any better than a total novice hence the VERY honest bio above. I just didnt know what speed would/could be achieved by a "newly"
    Living MY dream.
  • Gabbo
    Gabbo Posts: 864
    Depends on your current level of fitness and strength, route and terrain, and distance travelled. Club riders tend to have slow, medium, and fast groups which therefore cater for all riders begginer or cat4/3 racer
  • 16mm
    You'll be looking at around 15 - 16 mph in a group as a beginner, assuming it's not blowing a gale. I was suggesting that however much you may want to keep up you'll find your limits. Thats not a bad thing though. Your age won't make any difference, plenty of over 40's are very fast. Also 2st will make little difference on the flat. Plenty of bigger guys do very fast flat TTs. Your bike won't make much difference either, assuming it's a road bike with a decent fit, and pumped up tyres.
  • ojmoto
    ojmoto Posts: 2
    It depends on many factors such as the type of bike, fitness level and the individual condition of the body. I started training in the slow group, and raised to the average. Some time ago I went 10-12 mph, after two months of training, I increased the speed of 16-17 mph - I think it is the optimal speed for all beginners. I'm sure Lance Armstrong Edward easily goes about 40 mph, and it is not difficult for him. But he's been training for almost 20 years, and began with an average speed of 16-17 mph.
    ojmoto wrote:
    It depends on many factors such as the type of bike, fitness level and the individual condition of the body. I started training in the slow group, and raised to the average. Some time ago I went 10-12 mph, after two months of training, I increased the speed of 16-17 mph - I think it is the optimal speed for all beginners. I'm sure Lance Armstrong Edward easily goes about 40 mph, and it is not difficult for him. But he's been training for almost 20 years, and began with an average speed of 16-17 mph.

40mph? Damn, what he was taking must have been good..... unless you are talking about his sprint speed
    :-p
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    Average speeds should not be a goal, especially when starting out.

If you are new to cycling you need to get used to being in the saddle for a period of time. Typically club runs will be anything from 2 to 4 hours of cycling so get used to spending time on the bike.

There are far to many variables to even be consistent over the same route let alone give an average over varying ones.

Riding in an group does help drag you along - but even that only gets you so far, believe me I know that only too well.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • RowCycle
    RowCycle Posts: 367
    16mm wrote:
    VTech wrote:
    But...... I rarely start something I dont finish so I have faith my brain will not give up unless my body packs up first.
    If you ride with fast groups you'll get used to having your body pack up, and starting something you don't finish. Cycling with faster riders makes you humble very quickly. Start with the slowest group:-)
    On the flat 15 = slowish, 18 = moderate 19 + quick, 21 + summer quick, 25 = 4 cat Road Race. Thats mph, average for a circular or out and back route.

Do you mean group speed?
  • VTech
    Yes, as this is what most that I have read refer too.
    At the moment I dont think I have gone past 20m on the trainer but I am sure on the road I can go further as there must be extra to be had from riding in a group both in terms of being able to ease off from time to time and also from the extra stamina you get from trying to "keep up"
    Living MY dream.
  • juankerr
    juankerr Posts: 1,099
    About 15mph but it depends on how "beginner" the ride is.
  • i only started cycling late on last year,i'm 43 and 94kgs.so i'm a bit overweight and not very fit but i'm managing 15-16 mph avg without any probs.hoping to bring that up a bit this yr.
    Lapierre Aircode 300
    Merida
  • p1tse
    p1tse Posts: 694
    Im a bit slower at 12-13mph from 4-5 sessions at an hour long but I do have some hills most noticeable on way home which is worst when I'm tired
    Wanted: Cube Streamer/Agree GTC Compact / Pro/ Race : 53cm
  • 16mm
    RowCycle wrote:
    16mm wrote:
    VTech wrote:

Do you mean group speed?
    Yes group speed, although I suppose Time Trial speeds would be a bit faster than these for fast riders on short courses.

And your group is probably fitter, or less fit than mine :-)
  • me-109
    me-109 Posts: 1,915
    VTech wrote:
    My question is, what do you reckon my speed would be on a road bike over a 20 mile trip ?
    I'd guess between 10 and 25 mph, depending on the hills encountered. :wink:

I'm surprised any club gets together for a 20 mile ride.
  • AK_jnr
    AK_jnr Posts: 717
    I started riding last May and averaged about 16mph over 20 miles ish.

Now I can average 20+ on solo 40+ milers.

18mph is comfortable over a hilly route of 70+ miles.

I am 25 by the way.

The club chaingang rides 2 times a week definitely helped. Riding inches apart in the dark and cold gets your attention and wills you on to warm up! Lol.