Cutting a carbon seatpost?

on-yer-bike
on-yer-bike Posts: 2,974
edited January 2013 in Workshop
Is there any reason not to? Ive bought a new odd diameter WR post from Italy and its longer than it needs to be by 80mm (I specced the length but it's Italy). The post has a nice beveled finish at the bottom which I would lose, but I would sand the raw edges. I have a saw guide and fine saw blade for steerers that I could use for the job.
Pegoretti
Colnago
Cervelo
Campagnolo

Comments

• on-yer-bike
    Oh yeah – apart from the extra weight is there any harm in having loads of post inside the frame?
    Pegoretti
    Colnago
    Cervelo
    Campagnolo
  • No reason at all, its quite common on Tri/TT fames with an integrated seat post.
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • Yossie
    Yossie Posts: 2,600
    Seriously? Can I cut off part of a seat post that has no use? Seriously?
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    Yossie wrote:

Well TBF it rather depends on your definition/understanding of 'has no use'.

Some people may think they can cut it down to within a few cm of the insertion point, whereas the likes of you and I obviously know that there is a minimum safe insertion length.

So yes it may seem a daft question but not everyone knows what we do.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • on-yer-bike
    Yossie wrote:
    Yes seriously, f**k face
    Pegoretti
    Colnago
    Cervelo
    Campagnolo
  • on-yer-bike
    smidsy wrote:
    Yossie wrote:

Well TBF it rather depends on your definition/understanding of 'has no use'.

Some people may think they can cut it down to within a few cm of the insertion point, whereas the likes of you and I obviously know that there is a minimum safe insertion length.

So yes it may seem a daft question but not everyone knows what we do.
    Yes I do know that.
    Pegoretti
    Colnago
    Cervelo
    Campagnolo
  • Yossie
    Yossie Posts: 2,600
    Yossie wrote:
    Yes seriously, f**k face

Brilliant. Man who can't decide whether to cut down useless carbon tube that he doesn't need gets angry shocker. :D

Sheeeeesh, next thing we know he'll be asking whether he needs to cut the excess off his new cables. Noooo - don't do it. Yes, do it!

There, that's messed with your level of general incompetence ........ You're going to be up all night with that little conundrum .......
  • on-yer-bike
    Whats your problem?
    Pegoretti
    Colnago
    Cervelo
    Campagnolo
  • Zingzang
    Zingzang Posts: 196
    Whats your problem?
    When was this not the sort of brainless confrontational question genuine f*ck faces like to ask?
  • mallorcajeff
    mallorcajeff Posts: 1,489
    Pass The popcorn
  • tim_wand
    tim_wand Posts: 2,552
    Lets ask Cleat.

Surely it would make more sense to cut down the seat tube, and leave the seat post at its original length.
  • There's no reason you can't cut your seat post down.

All you need to do is check on the seat post and measure the "Minimum Insertion" and make sure that if you cut any off, you will still have that much seat post inside the frame.

Also, check with the manufacturer to see if they quote a "Minimum Insertion" for the frame (if your using a different post than what came stock) and go with the biggest of the two.

There's nothing wrong with saving a few grams (not that it will make too much difference) as long as you do things safely.

Also, use the proper tools or get a decent bike shop to do it.
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    tim wand wrote:
    Lets ask Cleat.

Surely it would make more sense to cut down the seat tube, and leave the seat post at its original length.

I know I am missing something here...but what? :?
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • father_jack
    father_jack Posts: 3,509
    Probably only worth it if the seatpost reaches the bottom bracket. Or you're using lead piping so cutting off a few inches will save a few pounds of weight. Cutting 2" isn't going to save so much weight you'll notice it during riding.
    Say... That's a nice bike..
    Trax T700 with Lew Racing Pro VT-1 ;-)