Looking for pace riders

Jamie@AC
Jamie@AC Posts: 752
As a very general inquiry, who on these forums would be interested in acting as a pace rider on a cycling event? The role would be supporting cyclists that have signed up to the event for charity, just by pacing them, offering them advice (cycling technique, tips&tricks) and generally keeping spirits high when they start suffering.

The trade off is taking part in a fully supported event (hot food and energy supplements at rest stops, medics, transport, signage and safety teams) and being on the 'inside' in these events while tough can be a right laugh (take it from me, I've been there!)

I've created a poll for yes/no answers, but I'm more interested in the reasons and opinions either way.
"Of all the paths you chose in life, make sure some of them are dirt..."

Comments

• Think your main question is missing a verb........'be' or 'have', not sure which.....
  • rozzer32
    rozzer32 Posts: 3,827
    I'd be up for depending on what and where etc etc.
    ***** Pro Tour Pundit Champion 2020, 2018, 2017 & 2011 *****
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    Yes why not - it's a bike ride isn't it.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • yes, definitely be up for helping out. it is a great idea -- they do similar in the marathon with pace groups -- but this sounds more like encouragement and motivation, right?
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    Personally, I would employ Dieter "Didi" Senft and get him to stand at the side of the road on the signature climb and prong anyone who looks like they might get off and walk :twisted:

tour-de-france-didi-devil1_zps687cc21d.jpg
  • Jamie@AC
    Think your main question is missing a verb........'be' or 'have', not sure which.....

Good spot, cheers for that; all changed. (I did mean 'be a pace rider')

yes, definitely be up for helping out. it is a great idea -- they do similar in the marathon with pace groups -- but this sounds more like encouragement and motivation, right?

It's a mixture of both. In the event we are mainly looking at recruiting pace riders for, it would be a pretty even split between the two functions. While it's all pie in the sky at the moment we are considering pace riders for our RideUK 24 series of events. These events are 250 or 300 miles long and to be completed, as the name suggests in 24 hours. Therefore most of the riders taking part will need to be fairly competent anyway, so shouldn't need too much 'pacing' and advice, but may need a friendly face and some words of encouragement to dig deep when the going get's tough in the later stages of the event.

The events will be starting in Manchester/Newcastle and ending up in good ol' London with rest stops every 40-45miles along the route (so it isn't a a straight 'strap yourself to your bike' endurance event, :mrgreen: )

Like I said, whether we actually recruit pace riders for the event remains to be seen; but it's good to know there's some positive interest in it. I'll keep you guys updated through this thread!
    Bobbinogs wrote:
    Personally, I would employ Dieter "Didi" Senft and get him to stand at the side of the road on the signature climb and prong anyone who looks like they might get off and walk :twisted:

tour-de-france-didi-devil1_zps687cc21d.jpg

I'll head down the fancy dress shop and get measured up right now! :twisted:

Keep the feedback coming!
  • marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412
    Interesting concept - especially as it's on longer rides.

You may be best served by talking to audaxers who are much more experienced at the distances. Either via Audax UK itself, or where the audaxers hang out on yacf

Clearly, a reasonable proportion of audaxers are somewhat into self-flagellation and will scoff at people paying such money to ride their (carbon, with no mudguards or carradice!) bike a long way with support. So be prepared for some stick! But not all audaxers are miserable old gits and there are plenty of audaxers who do ride carbon bikes and do understand the need for those less experienced in long-distances to have regular supported stops etc.

I'd offer myself, but I know for the first one, I am out riding that weekend already (little bit further than 250 miles).
  • Jamie@AC
    marcusjb wrote:

You may be best served by talking to audaxers who are much more experienced at the distances. Either via Audax UK itself, or where the audaxers hang out on yacf

Clearly, a reasonable proportion of audaxers are somewhat into self-flagellation and will scoff at people paying such money to ride their (carbon, with no mudguards or carradice!) bike a long way with support. So be prepared for some stick! But not all audaxers are miserable old gits and there are plenty of audaxers who do ride carbon bikes and do understand the need for those less experienced in long-distances to have regular supported stops etc.

I'd offer myself, but I know for the first one, I am out riding that weekend already (little bit further than 250 miles).

I'm very familiar with the 'How much?!?!!?" from experienced audaxers, however, I'm glad that you see why we offer the support that we do.

I suspect most of the pace riders we end up using will have some audax experience; purely because there aren't many other breeds of cyclist who could shrug off 250 miles in 24 hours so easily. They all seem to have been coming out of the woodwork since we mentioned the option of pace riding.

Cheers, Jamie.

PS: I hope you have a good ride planned! More than 250 you say? :P
  • marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412
    Jamie@AC wrote:
    marcusjb wrote:

I'm very familiar with the 'How much?!?!!?" from experienced audaxers, however, I'm glad that you see why we offer the support that we do.

I suspect most of the pace riders we end up using will have some audax experience; purely because there aren't many other breeds of cyclist who could shrug off 250 miles in 24 hours so easily. They all seem to have been coming out of the woodwork since we mentioned the option of pace riding.

Cheers, Jamie.

PS: I hope you have a good ride planned! More than 250 you say? :P

Even for hardcore audaxers, 250 miles is a long way and is rarely easy! But, yes, I am glad you're managing to find some riders that can help with their experiences and ride a suitable pace for completing the event.

I'll be riding 375 miles that weekend (in 40 hours though!).

Best of luck.