Scuffed my fork stanchion

zanush
zanush Posts: 161
edited January 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
Had an incident in the slushy snow today and my stanchion whacked the sharp end of some slate. Will this cause any significant problems?
Cheers
dsc0079m.jpg
Boardman Fs Team
Felt F95

Comments

• Might get a little weep of oil there, but it doesnt look like a massive enough gouge to cause any real issues, I have seen people get away with worse! Make sure that there is no material protruding that can damage the seal and it'll be fine
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    can you feel it?

read this. viewtopic.php?f=40073&t=12543653
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • zanush
    edited January 2013
    Cheers for the replies guys, should have done a more thorough search of the forum^^
    They are not massive but you can feel them, i have some diamond lapping paste and 1200grit wet/dry emery paper so i'll have a go with some nail polish (just hope i don't get any strange looks when buying it). Either that or i could use some twin pack epoxy we use at work.
    I was just a bit dubious about attacking it with any wet and dry^^
    Thanks again for the replies
    Boardman Fs Team
    Felt F95
  • Levi_501
    Levi_501 Posts: 1,105
    The most important thing, is any of the damage higher than the stanchion itself.

If there is, you may want to rub it off (the high spots only) with some wet and dry; be gentle!
  • zanush
    Had a few too many whiskies tonight to contemplate doing anything...so tomorrow i'll have a go.....and be really gentle^^
    Boardman Fs Team
    Felt F95
  • nicklouse
    first is knock it back with the wet and dry and use it wet. then feel and see if it needs anything it could be fine.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • zanush
    edited January 2013
    I had a stab at doing it today, i made sure any burrs were removed and cleaned with isopropyl alcohol afterwards. I tried the nail varnish but disappeared at the final smoothing, so i'm guessing the scuffs are not deep enough even though you can feel they are there. I guess i'll just forget about them and just ride it ;)
    Boardman Fs Team
    Felt F95
  • nicklouse
    yep id it has gone then dont worry you will be fine. presuming that you did let it dry....
  • zanush
    Aye i left for about 12 hours before smoothing down. I was just a little annoyed that it happened on just a tame fall but i suppose it was going to happen sooner or later ^^
    Thanks for the advice though ;)
    Boardman Fs Team
    Felt F95
  • nicklouse
    zanush wrote:
    Aye i left for about 12 hours before smoothing down. I was just a little annoyed that it happened on just a tame fall but i suppose it was going to happen sooner or later ^^
    Thanks for the advice though ;)
    seen it happen to people who are just leaning their bikes up. that is opps.
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    Have got a very similar mark on some Revs.

Filed the burrs down with the mrs best nail file then dabbed it a few times with her best clear nail polish. As in your case the scuffs weren't even deep enough to hold the nail polish so I rubbed it off again the repair looked worse than the accident.

That was summer last year has been fine ever since.
  • zanush
    Aye mine looks a bit more prominent now after the attempted repair....quite often though things aren't as bad as you think they are.
    Boardman Fs Team
    Felt F95