Whatever happened to Manitou forks

stealf
stealf Posts: 49
edited January 2013 in MTB general
Hi All
The seals have just blown on my (at least) 9 year old Manitou Black 100mm forks. Bugger, I wasn't even going hard at the time.
I'am an ok mechanic but have the fear when it comes to forks and shocks so who can I send them to for a repair?
Whilst searching about I thought about replacing them and guess what.... You can't buy them anymore - anyone know why this is.

cheers for any feedback on this.
Stealf
A bicycle ride is a flight from sadness.
James E. Starrs

Current Bikes
1999 Trek 6000 still looking mint
2007Spesh StumpJumper FSR Elite
2012 Sabbath September - Ooohhhh is that Titanium?

Comments

• bluechair84
    bluechair84 Posts: 4,352
    start with the usual; TF Tuned. If they can't help, they might know someone who can. Manitou have slipped under the radar recently but their Elite forks IME are excellent, and I've heard very very good things about their Dorado.
  • estampida
    estampida Posts: 1,008
    Years ago they launched the "new forks", but they were all the same (and with no real defined application, all xcish with some all moutain app, with "race technology"..........)

they spent lots developing that hex axle for problems that did not exist and are now on the fringe......

the product range has been a mess since DJ forks became available and they went crazy with the line up as they did not know where to go

the range still has too many xcish forks, and they re-launched the Dorado, which looks nice but are flexy, and no sign of a single crown option........ really???

10 years from now they will be either remembered like pro-flex, or on top of the world...... have a bet....
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,392
    They re still quite popular over here and in Germany. As Est says, they make XC forks that don't move unless you hit a massive bump whereupon they blow through all your travel at once - but then that's exactly what an XC rider would want...but then they re trail/all mountain/ DH forks all behave the same too
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • goosey
    goosey Posts: 103
    TF Tuned still service them I think. The Evil Genius seals are still available. The Blacks were great forks. I've had mine on my Orange hardtail for 9 years and they never give me any bother - they just get on with the job.
  • stealf
    stealf Posts: 49
    Thanks Goosey - Mine too until POP, then dirty fluid all down the Stantions. I'll give TF Tuned a bell to see if they can do ow't.
    A bicycle ride is a flight from sadness.
    James E. Starrs

Current Bikes
    1999 Trek 6000 still looking mint
    2007Spesh StumpJumper FSR Elite
    2012 Sabbath September - Ooohhhh is that Titanium?
  • Download the service manual from Manitou and have a good read, its really not that bad a job, ,if you still don't fancy it then send them off to tf,
    i did my minute's last month as a bit of water got in through the IT cable and contaminated the oil,
    Timmo.
    After all, I am Cornish!
    http://cornwallmtb.kk5.org/
    Cotic Soul, The bike of Legends!:wink: Yes, I Am a bike tart!
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... 1#16297481
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    We have 2 pairs of 2006 Manitous in the family, both in perfect working order.....I've seen much newer RS that are pooped.

A lot of people say the quality went downhill after teh takeover and wholesale changes later (2009?).
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Levi_501
    Levi_501 Posts: 1,105
    I recently fitted a pair of 100mm Minutes to my R8, I got them quite cheap.

I have to say I was more impressed with then I was expecting.
  • just bought a set of dorados for my new dh build and i think there great and are up there with the boxxer and 40s
  • frogstomp
    frogstomp Posts: 412
    Fancied trying something a bit different for my Titus Fireline 29er build and decided on some Tower Pros.. like the idea of the main air spring with a small coil for stiction etc.