Thru axle, what's the deal ?

RandG
RandG Posts: 779
edited January 2013 in MTB beginners
I read a lot of bikes having a "thru axle" :? So what's the deal with this then ??

Comments

• eric_draven
    eric_draven Posts: 1,192
    hi,it basically stiffens up the back end of a bike (less flex),10mm or a 12mm axle have a lot more torsional stiffness than a standard 5mm quick release,nearly all DH bikes run them,and lot of enduro/AM /trail bikes are goind in that direction
  • RandG
    RandG Posts: 779
    So what difference does it make when it's on the front ?
  • Same effect - stiffens up the connection between the wheel and the fork which effectively braces the fork enabling it to track better across the ground.
    2011 Giant Trance Ltd, 2016 Revs, XT bits etc.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    hi,it basically stiffens up the back end of a bike (less flex),10mm or a 12mm axle have a lot more torsional stiffness than a standard 5mm quick release,nearly all DH bikes run them,and lot of enduro/AM /trail bikes are goind in that direction
    Except a rear QR axle is 12mm, just hollow. The skewer is not the axle.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Dirtydog11
    Dirtydog11 Posts: 1,621
    cooldad wrote:

Except it's not though, a rear QR axle is 10mm.

Your correct about a skewer not being an axle though, it's why ones called an axle and the other a skewer!
  • cooldad
    Yeah, bit of brain fade there. Point I was making was that the QR is not the axle.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Often the difference isn't even noticable.
  • eric_draven
    eric_draven Posts: 1,192
    cooldad wrote:
    the stiffness comes from the diameter of the maxle/bolt up axle/quick release skewer going through your hub, being a greater diameter more stiffness,i converted my santa cruz nickel from a standard quick release to a 10mm quick release,and can notice the difference in the long swing arm
  • cooldad
    It might, it might not.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Richie63
    Richie63 Posts: 2,132
    I prefer the through axle method when putting the wheels back in as opposed to the QR
    I'm going to blow the bank on a new build ( within reason ) NOW DONE!!
    http://i570.photobucket.com/albums/ss14 ... 010362.jpg
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    the stiffness comes from the diameter of the maxle/bolt up axle/quick release skewer going through your hub,
    No it doesn't, in a standard QR the stiffness comes from the axle and the end caps acting against the frame, the preload comes from the tension in the QR, it may sound similar but it's not.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    The deal is your mates get to stand an extra 5 minutes in the rain whilst you piss about with your thru axle. On a XC bike its marketing guff on a AM bike its a good idea on a DH bike I would say its essential but I have never even sat on a DH bike let alone riden one so I might not know what I am talking about.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • The Rookie
    More relevant on FS as well which are inherently less rigid at the rear than an HT.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • supersonic
    Depends where the flex is really, if on a skinny tubed single pivot it may make no difference at all really.

I couldn't beleive the flex in a Marin Wolf Ridge when I rode one, and it had a rear maxle, but just dodn't do anything as the whole swing arm was lurching left to right.
  • The Rookie
    Understood, which is why I said more relevant, maybe I should have said more likely to be relevant!
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    supersonic wrote:
    Depends where the flex is really, if on a skinny tubed single pivot it may make no difference at all really.

I couldn't beleive the flex in a Marin Wolf Ridge when I rode one, and it had a rear maxle, but just dodn't do anything as the whole swing arm was lurching left to right.
    er, huh?
    Mine did that too. When I'd cracked the suspension linkage. Otherwise I can literally stand on the frame and there's no deflection.
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    Was gonna say the marin was pretty stiff up back....

and up front a 20mm axle is a huge difference on a fork. On the rear i can only sayt he bikes i've ridden a maxle on have felt stiff but i've not been able to ride the same bike witha QR instead.
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    The Marin mount vision of the same year as my wolfridge had the same modular dropouts. It might be interesting to swap out the qr and thru axles to compare.
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    yeh that would be an interesting test.

be interested on that one.
  • supersonic
    Didn't see any cracks lol, but got the swingarm to visibly move quite a distance! My mate is still riding it a few months on so all seems well! The one I tested was certainly not as laterally stiff as my XC Pro, though it could have been a rogue. I was pretty surprised to be honest.