Road Tyres on a Cyclocross

logie48
logie48 Posts: 30
edited January 2013 in Road beginners
I have a Boardman CX team and was thinking about getting new road tyres for when the good weather comes in.

What size of road tyres would be ok for the wheels? Wheel size is 700x35. Any tyre recommendations while we're here? Was going to go for the Continental Grand Prix 4 season. The biggest size is in 28mm.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• JackPozzi
    JackPozzi Posts: 1,191
    http://sheldonbrown.com/tire-sizing.html

Scroll down to the chart under Width considerations to work out what size tyres you can use for a given rim width, which should be marked on the rim somewhere
  • I'm running Marathon Plus at 28 on mine but will certainly take 25c, probably 23c
    That's a good tyre choice, I'd say go for the 28 or 25 depending on how comfortable you want it?
  • logie48
    Thanks guys.

AS. What wheel size is on your bike, if you don't mind me asking?
  • I've got a Boardman Team CX like you, Ritchey OCR 700c wheels from memory.
  • logie48
    Thanks AS.

Sorry to be a pain again. But what size of valves for your inner tubes did you get? Any need for a long 60mm, say, valves or would I get away with around the 42mm mark?
  • No worries 8)

42 will be fine.
  • ForumNewbie
    ForumNewbie Posts: 1,664
    I'm guessing its your current tyres are 700*35 rather than the wheels. If you are getting road tyres for it, I wouldn't think you would want any more than 28mm tyres, and I've read 28s would fit your wheels, and possibly even 25s.
  • I'm guessing its your current tyres are 700*35 rather than the wheels. If you are getting road tyres for it, I wouldn't think you would want any more than 28mm tyres, and I've read 28s would fit your wheels, and possibly even 25s.

Possibly 5 posts above yours? or don't you bother to read earlier posts? :wink:
  • davem399
    davem399 Posts: 269
    I have also got a Boardman CX, and yesterday I fitted some 28mm Conti GP 4 Seasons. I haven't tried them yet, depends on the weather this weekend. The profile of the 28mm tyres is barely wider than the rims, I don't think I would go for a smaller tyre on these rims.
  • logie48
    DaveM399 wrote:
    I have also got a Boardman CX, and yesterday I fitted some 28mm Conti GP 4 Seasons. I haven't tried them yet, depends on the weather this weekend. The profile of the 28mm tyres is barely wider than the rims, I don't think I would go for a smaller tyre on these rims.

:?

Already ordered 25mm Conti's with tubes. Don't know whether to return them and get the 28's now.
  • ForumNewbie
    ForumNewbie Posts: 1,664
    I'm guessing its your current tyres are 700*35 rather than the wheels. If you are getting road tyres for it, I wouldn't think you would want any more than 28mm tyres, and I've read 28s would fit your wheels, and possibly even 25s.

Yep, I had read your previous post, but I had checked the around t'internet as well as the op seemed to think his wheels were 700*35 rather than tyres.

Anyway, logie48 has now gone for 25s but in view of another post thinks he should have gone for 28s. I would have thought that 25s would definitely be okay and I think the post below should reassure him:
    viewtopic.php?p=17209650
  • I'm guessing its your current tyres are 700*35 rather than the wheels. If you are getting road tyres for it, I wouldn't think you would want any more than 28mm tyres, and I've read 28s would fit your wheels, and possibly even 25s.

Yep, I had read your previous post, but I had checked the around t'internet as well as the op seemed to think his wheels were 700*35 rather than tyres.

Anyway, logie48 has now gone for 25s but in view of another post thinks he should have gone for 28s. I would have thought that 25s would definitely be okay and I think the post below should reassure him:
    viewtopic.php?p=17209650

yeah 25's will be fine