My Anthem X3 Updated 14-9-13

WindyG
WindyG Posts: 1,099
edited September 2013 in Your mountain bikes
Decided it was time to upgrade from my Scott Aspect to something a little better, a 2011 Giant Anthem X3 much better spec than the 2012 even if the colours are a bit marmite for some. So far only added pedals Shimano PD-M540's and swapped the Maxxis Crossmarks for Ignitors. I work for a scale company so have access to calibrated scales and including pedals it weighed 12.4 Kgs. Just need to get it muddy now :D

anthem.jpg

Comments

• chez_m356
    chez_m356 Posts: 1,893
    WindyG wrote:
    even if the colours are a bit marmite for some.Just need to get it muddy now :D
    i think they went a bit overboard colour matching the cables, but the mud will soon sort that out :lol: a great bike you got yourself there mate, very nice :D
    Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 10- CANYON Nerve AM 6 2011
  • fnq59
    fnq59 Posts: 37
    I have the X0 from a few years ago, you will love it!
  • hopper1
    hopper1 Posts: 4,389
    WindyG wrote:
    Decided it was time to upgrade from my Scott Aspect to something a little better, a 2011 Giant Anthem X3 much better spec than the 2012 even if the colours are a bit marmite for some. So far only added pedals Shimano PD-M540's and swapped the Maxxis Crossmarks for Ignitors. I work for a scale company so have access to calibrated scales and including pedals it weighed 11.4 Kgs. Just need to get it muddy now :D

Is that Scales and Balances, Thetford?... I bought a 20kg calibration weight from them for my Quarq's :wink:
    Nice bike, by the way.
    Start with a budget, finish with a mortgage!
  • WindyG
    chez_m356 wrote:
    i think they went a bit overboard colour matching the cables, but the mud will soon sort that out :lol: a great bike you got yourself there mate, very nice :D

Still I can always change them later on if I need to, the better spec was more important.
    hopper1 wrote:

Is that Scales and Balances, Thetford?... I bought a 20kg calibration weight from them for my Quarq's :wink:
    Nice bike, by the way.

Nah I'm based in Attleborough
  • mikeyj28
    mikeyj28 Posts: 754
    how does your bike ride?
    Have you taken it for a good test? Do you plan on doing any upgrades?

Nice bike by the way and a good choice!!
    Constantly trying to upgrade my parts.It is a long road ahead as things are so expensive for little gain. n+1 is always the principle in my mind.
  • WindyG
    Had quick 20 miles ride, very impressed, very light, gear changes are smooth, couldn't fault it at all. I think I have the front shock set up bang on, rear might need a little tweaking. I also managed to crash it as well :lol: went straight over the handlebars when the front slipped away from me in some mud.

As for mods, saddle first as I don't like the Fisik one, the shape seems more suited for road use so it'll go one my road bike, I'll change the seatpost for a lighter one but other than that, I'll see how it goes.
  • mikeyj28
    mikeyj28 Posts: 754
    WindyG wrote:
    Had quick 20 miles ride, very impressed, very light, gear changes are smooth, couldn't fault it at all. I think I have the front shock set up bang on, rear might need a little tweaking. I also managed to crash it as well :lol: went straight over the handlebars when the front slipped away from me in some mud.

As for mods, saddle first as I don't like the Fisik one, the shape seems more suited for road use so it'll go one my road bike, I'll change the seatpost for a lighter one but other than that, I'll see how it goes.

What size is the seatpost? Are the wheels good/nice and light?

Hope your bike is still in one piece
    Constantly trying to upgrade my parts.It is a long road ahead as things are so expensive for little gain. n+1 is always the principle in my mind.
  • WindyG
    The seatpost is 30.9, wheels are good enough for now I won't replace them until I need to.

Bike was fine it just landed in some mud as did I, wipe off and get back on. If you don't fall off your not trying hard enough :-)
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Nice bike buddy,

Nowt wrong with a bit if colour.
  • WindyG
    Some new upgrades to the bike to drop a little bit of weight off, Easton EA50 Stem, EC70 Carbon Bars and EC70 seatpost, Hope Head Doctor and Zefal bottlecage, had to change the bottle cage as the shape of the Elite I originally fitted made it hard to get the bottle out due to the small frame. Full spec at the bottom.

stem.JPG

bars.JPG

hope.JPG

post.JPG

bike.JPG

Frame: Giant Anthem X3 AluxX SL aluminum, Fluid Formed TM 4.0"/100mm Maestro Suspension
    Rear Shock: Float RP2
    Forks: Fox F100 RL-11
    Bars: Easton EC70 Carbon Low Riser
    Stem: Easton EA50 100mm
    Headset: FSA
    Grips: Giant Lock on

Front Brake Lever assy: Avid Elixir 5
    Front Caliper: Avid Elixir 5
    Front disc: Avid HS1 160mm
    Rear Brake Lever assy: Avid Elixir 5
    Rear Caliper: Avid Elixir 5
    Rear Disc: Avid HS1 160mm
    Hoses: Shimano

Shifters: Shimano SLX
    Cables: Shimano
    Front Mech: Shimano SLX
    Rear Mech: Shimano XT Shadow

Seat: Fi'zi:k Tundra 2 Manganese rails
    Seat Post: Easton EC70 carbon
    Seat Post Clamp: Giant

Cranks: Shimano SLX Hollowtech 2
    Chainring(s): Shimano 24/32/42
    Chain: Shimano HG74
    Cassette: Shimano SLX
    Pedals: Shimano M540 SPD
    Bottom Bracket: Shimano Integrated Press Fit

Front Wheel: Giant P-XC2
    Rim: Giant P-XC2 DW aluminium
    Spokes: Sapim Race
    Hub: Giant Tracker
    Tire: Maxxis Ignitor

Back Wheel: Giant P-XC2
    Rim: Giant P-XC2 DW aluminium
    Spokes: Sapim Race
    Hub: Shimano M525
    Tire: Maxxis Ignitor
  • It's certainly marmite colours, I don't dislike it, different is good. Strangely, the pictures you recently took make it look more appealing to me for whatever reason. My mate has the same one in the more usual white n blue and I think I like yours better - don't tell him though ;D
    Family, Friends, Fantastic trails - what else is there

viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12898838
    viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12897374
  • WindyG
    Cheers, I bought it for the spec primarily, I had been looking at 2012 bikes in the shop which were blue and white when I saw one of these hung on the racks, the colours didn't really bother me,I knew it wouldn't look good to some but I don't care about things like that anyway :-) Need to change the wheels at some point as these are a bit heavier than I would like.
  • Nice work . I reckon silver cables would look good on that. BTW saddle looks a long way forward on the rails?
    2006 Giant XTC
    2010 Giant Defy Advanced
    2016 Boardman Pro 29er
    2016 Pinnacle Lithium 4
    2017 Canondale Supersix Evo
  • WindyG
    Nice work . I reckon silver cables would look good on that. BTW saddle looks a long way forward on the rails?

I might change them to a different colour when they need doing, in no hurry. Been playing with different saddles and positions, i'm quite comfy with it there though.
  • WindyG
    I've also removed the indicator windows off the SLX shifters as to me they were pointless anyway plus it's 20g less weight :-)
    Future plans will be new wheels undecided on what yet, saddle, will go for a Charge Spoon and then I'll go 2x10 when the chainrings need changing.
  • Those Tundra saddles are reasonably light at 220g.The Spoon will be heavier if you are concerned about weight. Might be worth looking at the Charge Knife instead.
    2006 Giant XTC
    2010 Giant Defy Advanced
    2016 Boardman Pro 29er
    2016 Pinnacle Lithium 4
  • WindyG
    Nice one, that Knife does look a good option, the Tundra is light but the shape doesn't suit me which is why I've been playing about position wise.
  • The Tundra is firm, certainly less flex in it than the Gobi that I also have. However, I also have a road bike with an Arione saddle and I've done 125 miles on that so figured that since the Tundra is the mtb version and a similar shape it ought to be ok.

Saddle tilt definitely has an effect on comfort , and making sure your sit bones are in the right place.
    2006 Giant XTC
    2010 Giant Defy Advanced
    2016 Boardman Pro 29er
    2016 Pinnacle Lithium 4
  • As for wheels I've got Roval Controls on mine mostly because I got them for a very good price on ebay, but if I were to be looking at the moment I'd find it hard to look past the £300 Superstar lightweight option.

Worth losing the weight from the wheels, makes the bike feel much livelier.
    2006 Giant XTC
    2010 Giant Defy Advanced
    2016 Boardman Pro 29er
    2016 Pinnacle Lithium 4
  • WindyG
    Superstar wheels will most likely be my first choice, though I do like the look of a set of Easton wheels, a while off yet as I have a hardtail project in the making too.
  • WindyG wrote:
    Superstar wheels will most likely be my first choice, though I do like the look of a set of Easton wheels, a while off yet as I have a hardtail project in the making too.

What`s that then?
    2006 Giant XTC
    2010 Giant Defy Advanced
    2016 Boardman Pro 29er
    2016 Pinnacle Lithium 4
  • WindyG
    Not quite sure at present just amassing a load of parts to build a reasonably light HT on a low budget, got so far SLX shifters and cassette and rotors, XT rear mech, Elixir R brakes, hopefully will be picking up some SID's at the weekend, I have various other finishing bits around to choose from, wheels likely to be from Superstars, just trying to find a cheap light 16" frame, most of the kit is s/h or bought cheap of people as yet nothing from a shop.
  • WindyG wrote:
    Not quite sure at present just amassing a load of parts to build a reasonably light HT on a low budget, got so far SLX shifters and cassette and rotors, XT rear mech, Elixir R brakes, hopefully will be picking up some SID's at the weekend, I have various other finishing bits around to choose from, wheels likely to be from Superstars, just trying to find a cheap light 16" frame, most of the kit is s/h or bought cheap of people as yet nothing from a shop.

My second/winter mtb is an old XTC hardtail which is gradually being drip fed with "down/side grades" from the Anthem.

It has an old MT760 groupset on it,Rebas,XT/717 wheels and Nobby Nics on it and weighs about 24-25lbs.

Was thinking of selling it originally when I bought the Anthem but everytime I ride it I again I`m reminded how much I still love hardtails.

You often see cheap XTC frames on ebay and they are a very good frame. Ride quality is good and lighter than many other big brand aluminum frames. I prefer the pre 2009 versions which are a little more compliant.

Not seen as being as sexy as more boutique frames so often go cheap.
    2006 Giant XTC
    2010 Giant Defy Advanced
    2016 Boardman Pro 29er
    2016 Pinnacle Lithium 4
  • WindyG
    A few new updates:
    Charge Spoon saddle, have one on my Scott and love it.
    Ritchey WCS Foam Grips with Lizard Skins bar ends
    Wheels - Stans Crest on Superstar EVO hubs
    Superstar Superfly Alloy Hollow Cro-mo Quick release, rear only
    Schwalbe Rocket Ron tyres Front 2.2 Rear 2.1
    Also thought while I was replacing the wheels it would be a good idea to go tubeless, which was pretty easy to do.

giant1.JPG

giant2.JPG
  • gt-arrowhead
    gt-arrowhead Posts: 2,507
    Loving the colour scheme! Best looking Giant ive seen so far.
  • WindyG
    Cheers, it's very marmite though not everybodys taste, I like it and that's all that matters, thought I'd keep with the red colour scheme and ordered red hubs.
  • gt-arrowhead
    gt-arrowhead Posts: 2,507
    Good call with the red hubs. Your right, if you love it then keep it. Its your bike in the end :) I definitely like it.
  • WindyG
    Decided to do the same as my Scott and drop the triple rings and fit a single RaceFace Narrow Wide chainring. Kept with the red theme but didn't over do it with the bolts, should get to try it out tomorrow.

redring1.JPG

redring2.JPG
  • WindyG
    Cheers, they do look nice, reason for doing it though was to bin the rings I never use and hence the weight, takes nearly 1/2 kg off plus less chance of mechanical issues. The granny ring was knackered too I somehow had taken a few teeth off it. Rode 30 miles today through a reasonable amount of wet mud and sand and had no chain drops, it's just a bit noisy when caked in mud but soon sheds it.