Working in bike shops

JMcP92
JMcP92 Posts: 339
edited January 2013 in MTB general
Anyone from here work in their LBS?

I've been looking for a part time job alongside uni and thought I might as well apply to some of the locals, sales or service would do me just fine.
I imagine it can only be good, far better than working in the Co Op or other such places, least it's enjoyable, like minded folk, common interest etc.

Anyone else working in their LBS's? As fun as you had imagined?

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    My daughter works at a BS Halfords whilst at Uni....yes she enjoys it, she learnt her trade at a local recycling centre (and from me) then got the job locally and then transferred.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • DCR00
    DCR00 Posts: 2,160
    used to work for "Express Cycles" in Swindon when i was 17. Learnt my trade there.

Then worked for Halfords for 2 years where i learnt how to put sh*t bikes together (which is actually harder than putting good bikes together)

But that wasn't your question. In answer to your question, if i could earn what i earn now fiddling with bikes i would be a happy man. Its the best job.
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    I worked in my LBS for about a year part time. It was great fun, but you have to take it seriously and not just as a hobby. So its not entirely what you think it is going to be like I can tell you that. I always tried to put myself in the customers position and what would I want to be advised on and so on.

I'd suggest getting absolutely clued up on your bikes too, a limited knowledge will not get you far and you need to know the basics of a bike inside out if you want to get anywhere. You hear all sorts of stories about people from LBS's, so just try not to be one of the ones people moan about on forums.

Unless of course you want to work in halfords, any old monkey can do that...
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    lawman wrote:
    I worked in my LBS for about a year part time. It was great fun, but you have to take it seriously and not just as a hobby. So its not entirely what you think it is going to be like I can tell you that. I always tried to put myself in the customers position and what would I want to be advised on and so on.

I'd suggest getting absolutely clued up on your bikes too, a limited knowledge will not get you far and you need to know the basics of a bike inside out if you want to get anywhere. You hear all sorts of stories about people from LBS's, so just try not to be one of the ones people moan about on forums.

Unless of course you want to work in halfords, any old monkey can do that...
    Your ideal job then.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Spent 10 years working in my LBS, still do the odd day here and there when they need help.

It's alright, as you say it's better than working on supermarket checkouts. Don't kid yourself that you'll be talking about XTR and carbon wheels all day, even in a good bike shop 90% of people are after a £300 bike which will get used twice before being shelved. If you're doing any spannering it'll mainly be really crap bikes which have never get any maintanence.

Get used to customers saying "I can get that online for x", spending hours of your time trying every item then buying elsewhere.

Etc.
  • Newfish
    Newfish Posts: 121
    njee20 wrote:

Get used to customers saying "I can get that online for x", spending hours of your time trying every item then buying elsewhere.

Etc.

I'm ashamed to say I do this a lot. Having had a very marginal experience at my LBS I now only go there for advice or help with something I can't do.

The times I have been though there has always been on VERY nice bike in which the resident mechanic does and the weekend lad is fixing punctures.
    Cheers,
    Simon.
  • i have owned this one for 4 years now and yes, its a good job. no, its not all carbon and like mindedness, to be honest sometimes a day behind a checkout seems quite good! biting your tounge is a skill you need and an eye for detail. get used to 'customers' asking you what they need and what is the cheapest website to buy it from.
    fixing punctures is our bread and butter, as said above, peaople will run bikes till they die, then expect you to work miracles for a tenner!
    ... and there is always at least one randommer who just comes in for a chat when you least need them to.
    you will never be the richest kid on the street, nor the most bored.

apart from that, its great!
  • allthegearnoidea
    allthegearnoidea Posts: 4,077
    edited January 2013
    Yup, what njee wnd bob have said, you'll spend a lot of time explaining the difference between the levels in spec, showing the custys the catalogues, working out what you can do price wise, etc. And most often for nothing as they'll order online anyway, but as the guys said, you'll get peeps coming in with a bike thwts been ridden for the past few years without the slightest hints of maintenance and asking why its not economical to repair!
    But its great fun, i still help out when its busy or new bikes need building etc. But its not all custom diamond studded xx mechs and carbotainium frames!!oh, and not forgetting the guys that come in with broken parts they want replaced under warranty when you know that theyv broken through bad riding wrongful use! Classic we had was a guy who used his lapierre X control for dirt jumping as it had iscg mounts! Came in with snapped rear triangle pivot clamps claiming they werent fit for purpose! We knew he'd been at the local bike park as the mechanic was a regular there! ;-)
    Timmo.
    After all, I am Cornish!
    http://cornwallmtb.kk5.org/
    Cotic Soul, The bike of Legends!:wink: Yes, I Am a bike tart!
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... 1#16297481
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown