SPD Pedals with flats attached on one side

muzzan
muzzan Posts: 203
edited January 2013 in Road beginners
Hi,

Probably missing something obvious here....

Have bought a set of cheapo Shimano M520 pedals & they've arrived with one side taken up with a clipped-in flat plastic pedal. As hard as I try I cant get them off even with the tension loosened right off. Short of taking a hacksaw to them is there an easy way of getting these off without damaging the pedals?

Cheers!

Comments

• If theyre what I've got you'll need a screwdriver - tech doc is here: http://techdocs.shimano.com/media/techd ... 661952.pdf
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    muzzan wrote:
    Hi,

Have bought a set of cheapo Shimano M520 pedals & they've arrived with one side taken up with a clipped-in flat plastic pedal. As hard as I try I cant get them off even with the tension loosened right off. Short of taking a hacksaw to them is there an easy way of getting these off without damaging the pedals?

Cheers!
    fit them and twist.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • netman
    netman Posts: 4
    Just bought those too - once you've slackened off the tension there is a small gap where you can insert a flat blade screwdriver and force the flat up and off - don't be shy, it takes a fair push but they do come off.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    nicklouse wrote:
    muzzan wrote:
    Hi,

Cheers!
    fit them and twist.

This. No need to worry about screwdrivers or tension. If you can't get the platform off when it is fitted you probably won't be able to get your foot off the pedal either!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • muzzan
    Went for screwdriver option & got them...wasnt that hard really :oops:

Anyway, saves me taking pedals off current bike (these are for new bike which hasnt arrived yet)

Cheers for the helpful replies
  • This can't have been a serious OP - can it?

I didn't know that these even came with pedal covers - my 3 pairs certainly haven't.

The OP must of got a bonus pair.

Speechless but already spoken too much....!
  • rolf_f
    muzzan wrote:

Anyway, saves me taking pedals off current bike (these are for new bike which hasnt arrived yet)

Or you could have left the flats on til the new bike arrived :wink:
    This can't have been a serious OP - can it?

Why not? They are hard to remove when not attached to the bike. Try it sometime. Even shifting a shoe clipped to an unmounted pedal isn't that easy irrc.

I've had the platforms on one pair of SPDs out of about 4 pairs bought - they seemed to be OEM with little packaging. All the poshly packaged ones I've got have come without.
  • Rolf F wrote:
    muzzan wrote:

Or you could have left the flats on til the new bike arrived :wink:
    This can't have been a serious OP - can it?

Why not? They are hard to remove when not attached to the bike. Try it sometime. Even shifting a shoe clipped to an unmounted pedal isn't that easy irrc.

I've had the platforms on one pair of SPDs out of about 4 pairs bought - they seemed to be OEM with little packaging. All the poshly packaged ones I've got have come without.

OK whatever. All of the pedals I have had of this model have been brand new and "poshly packaged" or just BNIB with cleats.

None of them have come with platforms - maybe others would like to confirm their M520s have come with platforms attached...

They are sold as MTB SPD pedals - no mention of any dual function. Not sure why I would "Try it sometime." when the pedals I have had of this model have never come with em... Details

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=3759&gclid=CMmJsOCPhLUCFUbKtAod3BcArg

Maybe my next pair I will stick my shoe to them for absolutely no reason.

Cheers
  • rolf_f
    None of them have come with platforms - maybe others would like to confirm their M520s have come with platforms attached...

They are sold as MTB SPD pedals - no mention of any dual function. Not sure why I would "Try it sometime." when the pedals I have had of this model have never come with em... Details

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=3759&gclid=CMmJsOCPhLUCFUbKtAod3BcArg

Maybe my next pair I will stick my shoe to them for absolutely no reason.

Cheers

Yep, you've got us. I think the OP and I and others will have to come clean. We made the whole thing up. The plastic pedal platforms don't exist at all - they are just a figment of our imaginations. It was all done just to confuse you.

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o199/JIMTHISTLE/FS/DSC_1706.jpg
  • muzzan
    LOL, was sure my last post would've been the end of the matter, seems someone's got a bizarre bee in their bonnet! Yes they came from Rose in Germany & were not packaged in the Shimano box etc, so must be to do with that.

TBH, I feel a bit silly having posted, was just being lazy really, hardly the toughest of jobs!

Bike arrived today as well, so happy days!
  • muzzan wrote:
    LOL, was sure my last post would've been the end of the matter, seems someone's got a bizarre bee in their bonnet! Yes they came from Rose in Germany & were not packaged in the Shimano box etc, so must be to do with that.

TBH, I feel a bit silly having posted, was just being lazy really, hardly the toughest of jobs!

Bike arrived today as well, so happy days!

LOL - should have been! I thought you were taking the p - didn't know you could get em cheaper than £17.49 with cleats and cashback of 3 %.

Please advise where cos that's darn cheap!

Rolf - you have posted over 8000 posts. Surely you can't be a beginner anymore, can you?

Perhaps you need to stop taking yourself so seriously...

But as a veteran - perhaps move up to the pro boards? Or remove that stick that seems to have got stuck somewhere...
  • muzzan
    Really didnt mean to start a squabble.... I would imagine the more experienced users visit this forum to lend their erm...experience? And a good thing too, otherwise it would be the blind leading the partially sighted as they say ;-)

Anyway, as I say, I got them from rose & I think they were £16-odd, but I didnt have to pay postage as they were part of a bike order, so that might scupper it, but lets be honest its pennies compared to the nonsense we spend on this hobby.