Lance 3.0 - An acceptable reduction to his ban?

tailwindhome
tailwindhome Posts: 18,950
edited January 2013 in Pro race
Lance's interview with Oprah clearly several motives, one of which to press for a reduction in the life ban.

Several key messages were delivered during the interview; 'USADA didn't give him the same opportunity to do a deal as they gave to the other US Postal riders', 'Everyone was at it', 'Sure I'm to blame but I don't deserve a 'death sentence''

So here's my question.

What would need to happen so Lance could return to competitive sport and which would be acceptable to you?

Aah. Just what we need. Another thread on LA. FFS.

Hehe
“New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!

Comments

• slim_boy_fat
    slim_boy_fat Posts: 1,810
    For me he would need to come properly clean and for the right reasons to the right people. Going on Oprah was all about him and therefore he's not deserving of a reduction. However, if he spoke to USADA, WADA, the right people in the UCI and told his story for the good of the sport going forward then I would think it ok for him to compete again. Oh, and a few proper apologies to people wouldn't go amiss.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,159
    His ban is just not being able to be do marathon and triathlons in middle age. Big deal. He should take his punishment like a man. If he craves competition so much, buy an X-Box.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Nothing he's banned for life as a serial cheat, he has now admitted to his cheating end of story.
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986

Hehe

I salute your audacity! ;)
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    Screw him. Still lying through his teeth on Oprah as well.
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • ed_209
    ed_209 Posts: 17
    At the moment all he's done is a (partial) confirmation of what is already known.

If he were to give a meaningful confession, under oath, listing what he did, how he did and who facilitated it then that would be a start. He was offered that opportunity at the same time as the other USPS riders - but Lance (along with other ringleaders) declined to engage.

But essentially I can't see why anyone would want him back. Competing and making living in high level sport is not a right it is a privilge and surely he's forfeited that. And comparing a ban to a 'death sentence' really takes the biscuit.
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,439
    Daz555 wrote:

This.

Although if he co-oderated with the authorities, and shopped someone that might be a surprise instead of just copping to the the stuff he's already been done for that it's conveinient for him to admit to, I might consider reducing his ban to 45 years or so.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • prawny wrote:
    Daz555 wrote:

This.

Although if he co-oderated with the authorities, and shopped someone that might be a surprise instead of just copping to the the stuff he's already been done for that it's conveinient for him to admit to, I might consider reducing his ban to 45 years or so.

Last year that 100 year old Frenchman set the world hour record for riders over 100. Lance can be allowed back aged, say, 98 to train for that
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,439
    prawny wrote:
    Daz555 wrote:

This.

Last year that 100 year old Frenchman set the world hour record for riders over 100. Lance can be allowed back aged, say, 98 to train for that

Fine by me. Although, I'd want him tailed by the feds from aged 80 to make sure he isn;t dosing up ready.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • zammmmo
    zammmmo Posts: 315
    Acutally it would be Lance 4.0 technically.

1.0 pre-cancer
    2.0 1998-2005
    3.0 2009-2011(?)
    4.0 IM?

I'll get me coat. :wink:
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,797
    RichN95 wrote:
    His ban is just not being able to be do marathon and triathlons in middle age. Big deal. He should take his punishment like a man. If he craves competition so much, buy an X-Box.

Indeed.

He can even start up trash talk again. "I will crush you little prince".
  • LutherB
    LutherB Posts: 544
    RichN95 wrote:

Indeed.

Make him play the TdF game on XBox - so unplayable it should be one of the 7 circles of Hell
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,681
    Can we have a bit of thread merging?
  • tailwindhome
    TheBigBean wrote:
    Can we have a bit of thread merging?

Is there another thread discussing this specific topic?

If there is, merge away.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,159
    LutherB wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:

Indeed.

Make him play the TdF game on XBox - so unplayable it should be one of the 7 circles of Hell
    Easy. He'll just pay some Italian programmer $1m to write him some cheat codes. And then get George Hincapie to play the game for him 90% of the time.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    If he can give us a full confession and some bigger fish then I'd be quite happy to see him have a reduced ban - say 2 years from the point of his full confession.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • LutherB
    LutherB Posts: 544
    RichN95 wrote:
    LutherB wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:

Indeed.

Easy. He'll just pay some Italian programmer $1m to write him some cheat codes. And then get George Hincapie to play the game for him 90% of the time.

hehehe - damn him, he's incorrigible
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,915
    I'm up for him returning to the pro peloton but no other sport ever again.

in fact I think he should ride the protour[wt or whatever its called now I lose track] in its most completeness until he can no longer hang on while wearing a special jersey to mark him out.
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • shinyhelmut
    shinyhelmut Posts: 1,364
    in fact I think he should ride the protour[wt or whatever its called now I lose track] in its most completeness until he can no longer hang on while wearing a special jersey to mark him out.

Yep, why not? If he hops in his private jet straight after the finish of each TDU stage he could probably make the start of San Luis, and vice versa.
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,915

Yep, why not? If he hops in his private jet straight after the finish of each TDU stage he could probably make the start of San Luis, and vice versa.

if he makes it thru the season without finishing outside the cutoff he gets back in... oh yeah and he is chaperoned 24/7/365
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • Aah. Just what we need. Another thread on LA. FFS.

Hehe

I salute your audacity! ;)

Hypocrite.
    I don't mean to brag, I don't mean to boast, but I'm intercontinental when I eat French toast...
  • Forgot the wink avatar after last post.

:wink:
    I don't mean to brag, I don't mean to boast, but I'm intercontinental when I eat French toast...
  • shinyhelmut
    shinyhelmut Posts: 1,364

if he makes it thru the season without finishing outside the cutoff he gets back in... oh yeah and he is chaperoned 24/7/365

He's keen to race ironman too so we should insist he races 28 ironman races (the 17 hour cutoff shouldn't trouble an athlete of his calibre) and 55 half ironmans. He also wants to race marathons so maybe we should include all 6 World Marathon Majors.

If he survives all this then I shall start to consider forgiving him.
  • tailwindhome
    *sigh
  • rrsodl
    rrsodl Posts: 486
    Lance's interview with Oprah clearly several motives, one of which to press for a reduction in the life ban.

Several key messages were delivered during the interview; 'USADA didn't give him the same opportunity to do a deal as they gave to the other US Postal riders', 'Everyone was at it', 'Sure I'm to blame but I don't deserve a 'death sentence''

So here's my question.

What would need to happen so Lance could return to competitive sport and which would be acceptable to you?

I have a question for you. Would you like to see Lance's ban reduced?

As far as I'm concerned he should never be allowed to come back. He was a bully, took advantage of his condition to get people to give him preferential treatment. I could go on but I can't be bothered.

Hehe