All year MTB tyres?

monsterreggie
monsterreggie Posts: 4
edited January 2013 in MTB general
I am looking to replace my original-fitting Conti Mountain King 2.2s on my hardtail. I liked them but reckon there must be better...

I want tyres for trails and green lanes and probably a fair bit of tarmac in between. They'll be used all year round, wet and dry but won't be used for racing or serious downhill. They need to be fairly fast rolling and not too fast-wearing, but I can thankfully afford decent quality rubber.

I've been recommended Maxxis High Rollers by a friend but thought I'd throw it open....

Comments

• querhoch
    querhoch Posts: 111
    I use Kenda Nevegals on my hardtail. theyre a bit draggy on tarmac but not too bad, and they grip well in just about any conditions. theyre pretty hard so they'll last a fair bit. theyre a bit on the heavy side but thats the price you pay for such a tough all rounder.
  • Cheers querhoch. That sounds like the kind of thing and i've seen them recommended elsewhere. Do they do a lighter folding version, and is it any good?
  • angry_bird
    angry_bird Posts: 3,786
    Maxxis Ignitors for me, they do some nice light folding versions. Seriously are great tyres and go fine summer through to winter and back round again.
  • querhoch
    querhoch Posts: 111
    the folding nevegals are excellent tyres. I dont use them because I ride a lot of rocky trails and prefer to have tougher sidewalls, but if youre not going to ride that sort of a thing then I totally reccomend them.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Nevegals are my default option, they can do a bit of everything though they're never the best at anything. Stick-e on the front, DTC on the rear. Not the fastest, but a great balance. Watch out for the OEM-spec wire bead ones, they're awful.

Nobby Nic Evos would do the job well but are expensive and wear hilariously fast (they're the only tyres I've ever been able to see wear after a single ride) Not the best in deep mud mind.

I think a better idea of your riding would help- what's a typical offroad ride, and what balance of road/offroad? (and is the road stuff just connecting offroad, or are there road-only rides, commutes etc?)
    Uncompromising extremist
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Angry Bird wrote:
    Maxxis Ignitors for me, they do some nice light folding versions. Seriously are great tyres and go fine summer through to winter and back round again.
    I use these all year as well. Soft Exception compound.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • WindyG
    WindyG Posts: 1,099
    Ignitors for me too, decent tyre in all conditions.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Panaracer Fire XC Pro folding (wired are the same compound but heavier - the folders can be had from about £20, wired from about £10), really good all round tyres which is why I use them as even in winter my rides can be muddy to grass to leafmould to slate (Cannock) with tarmac in between, not to draggy on the road and hang on well in mud.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • ^^^^^^^^^^^ This. I love mine. Although the Conti verticals I had a while back were pretty good too.
    Family, Friends, Fantastic trails - what else is there

viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12898838
    viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12897374
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    Panaracer haven't made a decent tyres since the dart/smoke combo imo, they were awesome!

I run Nobby Nics in Gatestar compound, which can be had atm for £19 each from bike-discount.de, way less than half the UK RRP and they are very, very good. They're not brilliant in deep mud, but they're acceptable.
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    Kenda Nevegal or Panaracer Rampage (same tyre) if there's lots of rocks and roots. As has been mentioned, they are a bit draggy on the tarmac and they do clog in bad mud.

Fire XC Pro, excellent allrounder.

WTB Bronson.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • miss notax
    miss notax Posts: 2,572
    I like Panaracer tyres - Fire XC Pro sound ideal for what you're after :D
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away....

Riding a gorgeous ano orange Turner Burner!

Sponsor the CC2CC at http://www.justgiving.com/cc2cc
  • qooqiiu
    qooqiiu Posts: 212
    Continental X king claim to be a 'do it all tyre'.
  • jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009
    Form my experience with the High Roller I'd say its for a rider who prefers more grip compared to less roll resistance don't sound right for you.

I personally use the Maxis Ignitors and highly recommend them I keep them on pretty much all year round apart from maybe the odd rare week where the trails are totally dry and dusty then I put on something on thats faster rolling.

But pretty much any of the usual suspects above will be up to the job.
  • smegg40
    smegg40 Posts: 75
    Rubber Queens 2.2,used to have Fire XC pros found them a bit unpredictable at times and easily bogged down in deep mud.
  • dusk
    dusk Posts: 583
    definitely not high rollers for what you'll be riding, nobby nics might be a good shout
    YT Wicked 160 ltd
    Cotic BFe
    DMR Trailstar
    Canyon Roadlite
  • Paule37
    Paule37 Posts: 16
    Well,took my Conti Rubber Queens black Chilis,2.2,out last night and loved 'em!!!Ate through all the mud,didnt lose grip at anytime whatsoever....gotta say even better than my mud specific tyres...i reckon i've found my perfect all rounder.Nice and comfy,you really can see & feel the quality....still a bit of testing to do but i have a feeling they'll fly through!
  • Thanks all for the good, if differing advice.

My riding is mostly green lanes, dartmoor trails, muddy farm tracks and a good chunk of tarmac in between. I'm not hugely demanding of the tyres, as a more mature and less sporty kind of rider. I definately need tyres without too much rolling resistance (or that unpleasant vibration that some tyres give) on the road, and not so soft compound that i wear a flat in the middle of the back tyre in a month or two.

Cheers again for the good advice....
  • Anyone seen better than £28.79 from tweeks for the 62a 2.1 kevlar beaded Ignitor?

TIA.
    2011 Giant Trance Ltd, 2016 Revs, XT bits etc.
  • jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009
    Not sure if that's the cheapest but its roughly what I have paid in the past.
  • scale20
    scale20 Posts: 1,300
    Bishbosh10 wrote:
    Anyone seen better than £28.79 from tweeks for the 62a 2.1 kevlar beaded Ignitor?

TIA.

I get my Ignitors from Tweeks, usually work out the cheapest.
    Niner Air 9 Rigid
    Whyte 129S 29er.