Can we have the cold weather back, please?

meanredspider
meanredspider Posts: 12,337
edited January 2013 in Commuting chat
So, for about the first time this year, the temperature is above freezing.

It's grey, it's raining and it's windy. I know I should just MTFU (I did, after all, choose to live in Scotland as an expat), but can we have the clear, bright, still & frosty days back pleeeeeeaaaase?
ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Still under a blanket of snow down here, more due later.....
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Soft Northerners with their crappy mild climates; it's snowing here! Microscopic flakes but it's definitely snow!

But anyway, the weathers coming from the wrong direction. Those days are the ones where the weather comes from the Arctic and there isn't enough humidity in the air to generate clouds. It'll be back!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,252
    you could move to Norway. I suspect it's still cold there.
  • rolf_f
    Veronese68 wrote:

It tends to get Scotlands weather a day or two later! Finland or Sweden might be better if we are trying to get shot of MRS!
  • veronese68
    Rolf F wrote:
    Veronese68 wrote:

It tends to get Scotlands weather a day or two later! Finland or Sweden might be better if we are trying to get shot of MRS!
    Sorry, I should have been more specific. I mean the northern bit of Norway where it goes over the top of Sweden. I should think that would be a degree or two below zero. If he goes can I have first dibs on the Volagi?
  • meanredspider
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:
    Veronese68 wrote:

Sorry, I should have been more specific. I mean the northern bit of Norway where it goes over the top of Sweden. I should think that would be a degree or two below zero. If he goes can I have first dibs on the Volagi?

So basically, Lapland-ish :wink:

And, no, Veronese, I'm taking my Volagi with me even if I can't ride it.... (where's a pokey smiley when you need it?) :wink:
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • rolf_f
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:
    Veronese68 wrote:

Very un PC Mr MRS. They are the Saami now - Lap isn't a liked term. You have to be all indigenous these days!

Besides, even up there the climate in Norway is remarkably un-arctic. I was up in Tromso just over a year ago and it was like a wet weekend in Fort William. Soggy, damp, and not very cold despite being 70 degrees North. The warm temperatures just push on up the coast so you have to go inland a bit to get really cold.
  • Monkeypump
    Monkeypump Posts: 1,528
    Rolf F wrote:
    Very un PC Mr MRS. They are the Saami now - Lap isn't a liked term. You have to be all indigenous these days!

But who's ever said they're going to Sapmi to see Santa's reindeer???
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    Monkeypump wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:

But who's ever said they're going to Sapmi to see Santa's reindeer???

I hear the Red Indians say it all the time.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • veronese68
    Rolf F wrote:
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:
    Veronese68 wrote:

Besides, even up there the climate in Norway is remarkably un-arctic. I was up in Tromso just over a year ago and it was like a wet weekend in Fort William. Soggy, damp, and not very cold despite being 70 degrees North. The warm temperatures just push on up the coast so you have to go inland a bit to get really cold.
    Really? A friend of mine went on a snowmobile trek thing up there last winter. He seemed to think it was way beyond cold.
    I think MRS has seen through my cunning plan to get the Volagi off him in exchange for a seal fur hat.
  • meanredspider
    Veronese68 wrote:
    my cunning plan to get the Volagi off him in exchange for a seal fur hat.

Unless "seal fur hat" is a euphemism :wink:
  • rolf_f
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Really? A friend of mine went on a snowmobile trek thing up there last winter. He seemed to think it was way beyond cold.
    I think MRS has seen through my cunning plan to get the Volagi off him in exchange for a seal fur hat.

It will be cold now but then it will also be dark all day! It does snow over but the temps are not as cold as you think - eg the harbour at Tromso never freezes. Latitudes are funny - I've been in the Rockies in British Columbia thinking I'm a long way North but really I was only about the same latitude as Scotland. In Tromso on the other hand, you are North of almost all the mainland land mass of the Americas. The Gulf Stream makes a huge difference.
  • meanredspider
    Rolf F wrote:
    It will be cold now but then it will also be dark all day! .

Pretty much like up here then :wink:
  • rolf_f
    I'd hope not - not unless the Great Glen has split and you've moved 10 degrees further North in the last hour or two! :lol:
  • veronese68
    Veronese68 wrote:

Yikes!!! NO. :shock:
  • meanredspider
    Rolf F wrote:
    I'd hope not - not unless the Great Glen has split and you've moved 10 degrees further North in the last hour or two! :lol:

According to most of the delivery companies, the Black Isle is off the coast of Iceland judging by their charges.

Getting back slightly on-topic, I could have used lights most of today though :roll: Last I looked we lost about an hour either end of our day compared to London and spring (daffodils) will arrive about a month later.

Mind you, it has been nice to see the snow pass to the south of us and to have better temperatures than much of the UK (for about the only time in the entire year)
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    If you check rain today it would appear Scotland is about to get walloped with some snow (as is NW England)
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • meanredspider
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Veronese68 wrote:

Yikes!!! NO. :shock:

Phew!!! :D
  • meanredspider
    If you check rain today it would appear Scotland is about to get walloped with some snow (as is NW England)

I took the MTB/Spiker combo this morning despite the fact I could probably have got in OK on the V because the snow was forecast. Heavy skies and drizzle/sleet and temperatures dropping from the current 2C may mean that was the right decision despite the fact that my legs are no longer talking to me on the 4th straight day of Spikers (and close to 400 Spiker miles this month)
  • meanredspider
    Hmm - reports of "heavy snow" at home...

The moral of this story is "Be careful what you wish for!" ;-)
  • veronese68
    :lol: Good job you're on the spikers then. I've been a complete jessie this year due to a reluctance to do myself another injury. Need a healthy dose of MTFU. Must try harder, buying a new bike helps I'm sure.
  • meanredspider
    Just had two texts - "Heavy Snow - Settling" from two entirely separate people :shock: :D:wink:
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    I bet you wish you'd kept your big fat mouth shut now :lol:
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • meanredspider
    I bet you wish you'd kept your big fat mouth shut now :lol:

I do. 3" of snow wasn't bad it was the wet sleet in the first 5 miles
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    We still have snow here after two weeks after two week almost but thankfully its raining now and finally the temp has risen from 0 to 2c I for one welcome this moist heatwave.
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    You had to didn't you? We've got another load inbound, probably 2-3" overnight. They keep promising rain to wash it away and flood the place but by the time it gets here it's crystallised!
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.