Single chainring replacement: Advice please

Revocourier
Revocourier Posts: 6
edited February 2013 in The workshop
I have a 2008 Edinburgh Bicycle Coop Revolution Courier Race. The time has come to replace the chainring. Could anyone tell me a suitable 44t single chainring for this bike. From what I've read, it looks as if I should be looking for something without ramps and pins as the whole idea is to keep the chain ON the ring rather than make it easier for it to slip off. I'm looking for something that would be compatible with a Shmano HG50 chain and an 8 speed cassette.
Thank you in advance!

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    it all depends on the cranks and the fitting.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Thanks for your quick reply: 4 bolt, 104mm
  • That should be 4 bolt, 74mm BCD
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    One that fits then......
    I use a stronglight fixed ring track setup on mine as it's pretty lightwight and not much dearer than a decent alloy chainring!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Thanks Beginner. I'll check them out.
  • Thanks for the advice guys. I fitted a Blackspire Epic Downhill chainring along with a new Shmano HG50 chain and Shimano 8 speed cassette. Bike's going like a rocket now!