Inverness - B&Bs and Campsites!

gosport_commuter
gosport_commuter Posts: 185
edited January 2013 in Commuting chat
Random I know - but I am planning on completing John o groats to Lands End in May/June, and was wondering if anyone on here from up that way knows of any good budget B&Bs/Hotels or good campsites. Currently it looks like I'll be in Inverness overnight twice; once after a VERY long drive from the south coast in a hire car, and once on the way back down with bike and tent. at the moment I am planning on using "Bunchcrew caravan park" for at least the latter, but would rather have accommodation that doesn't need repacking for the way up, so I can catch the first train to Thurso in the morning.

Also looking for accommodation for the missus and son who will be coming up to Fort William a few days later to climb Nevis with me.

Last but not least, here is the route I am planning down through Inverness, any local knowledge for improvements very welcome!

Day 3 - Lairg to Inverness: http://www.bikeroutetoaster.com/Course.aspx?course=487903
Day 4 - Inverness to Fort William: http://www.bikeroutetoaster.com/Course.aspx?course=487904

Thanks Muchly!

Comments

• heres a place my dad and i stayed at in inverness: www.invernessstudenthotel.com
    its basic but had good showers and beds, plus a really good mix of people from everywhere. may not suit you as the rooms aren't 'family', just mixed sex bunkrooms. close to the station and the town centre as well.

and if your near lairg, this is an great place thats suprisingly cheap and good fun: http://www.sleeperzzz.com/index.html
    may be a bit off your route though
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337

Despite living locally, I can't really help on the accommodation because I obviously never stay in it. What I can say, though, is there's thousands of B&Bs
    Your Day 3 route - did you choose it to avoid hills? Seems about as indirect as you can get, Whilst you probably want to avoid the A9 south of Inverness and the dualled section north (from Tore to Inverness), cutting across the Cromarty bridge (especially if you avoid morning rush hour) would be OK and you'd even be fine as far as Tore. From there you can pick up the side roads & paths on the Tore (East) side of the A9 to North Kessock where you dip under the A9 to pick up the path over the bridge. Here's my commute

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/265566937

It's almost car-free and you could pick it up at any point from Culbokie onwards. The direct hill up to Culbokie isn't the nicest but the A9 or the road to the east end of Culbokie are much less steep.

HTH
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • -spider-
    -spider- Posts: 2,548
    As MRS says there are loads of B&Bs about. You can also get decent deals in some of the hotels depending on when you'll be in Inverness. The Bunchrew campsite is OK but a bit out of town. Dont even think about the campsite in Inverness itself (Bught). Dingwall has a campsite that is ok (unless Ross County are at home) and Dingwall to Inverness has a relatively good cycle route.

-Spider-
  • Thanks for the suggestions guys, the sleeperzzz looks amazing but unfortunately is just too far out of the way, shame.

The route is largely to avoid a fair few hills, and to stay with as little traffic as is possible - although I will look into the section above Inverness a little more as it does look a little too circuitous.

The route has been largely plagiarized from a blog of someone else's journey and customized heavily in places to fit our goals. So every now and then I try to fine tune it to my tastes.

It's also interesting to hear of the cycle route from Dingwall to Inverness - is that the NCN route? I could be persuaded to use it if it is complete and OK for road bikes?
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    It's also interesting to hear of the cycle route from Dingwall to Inverness - is that the NCN route? I could be persuaded to use it if it is complete and OK for road bikes?

It's fine and generally quiet
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH