`ow much?

rockmonkeysc
rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
edited January 2013 in MTB general
I have bent the front brake lever body on my Avid X0 lever. At the time I thought there goes £50 but no, £170 for a single brake lever :shock:
How can it be that expensive? A PAIR of XTR levers costs less than a SINGLE X0 lever. It may be light but it's not a particularly good brake.
I won't be getting a new lever for these brakes then.

Comments

• mrmonkfinger
    mrmonkfinger Posts: 1,452
    Any elixir lever will work, if you just need something to get going with.

BTW, £100 at winstanleys for a whole brake:

http://www.winstanleysbikes.co.uk/produ ... Disc_Brake
  • rockmonkeysc
    I have ordered a set of Shimano Zee brakes, they are a bargain at £200 for a pair.
    I have no idea why Nukeproof fitted X0 brakes to the Scalp pro, they are a llight weight xc brake and completely inappropriate for a downhill bike.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Welcome to the world of SRAM spares! £120 for jockey wheels please.
  • rockmonkeysc
    Are they hand carved from gold and diamond studded?
    I wouldn't pay that for a complete mech.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    They were carved from cheese and studded with sponge I believe. XX jockeys - they lasted one (admittedly muddy) 4 hour race.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    No wonder you run alloy jockeys at circa £5 a pop!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • mrmonkfinger
    mrmonkfinger Posts: 1,452
    I have ordered a set of Shimano Zee brakes, they are a bargain at £200 for a pair.
    I have no idea why Nukeproof fitted X0 brakes to the Scalp pro, they are a llight weight xc brake and completely inappropriate for a downhill bike.

Agreed, that makes no sense, Avid make a DH brake and the X0 isn't it.

Maybe a big pile of X0s fell off a lorry somewhere near the CRC warehouse.
  • rockmonkeysc
    My mates Demo came with X0 levers and Code calipers. At least that set up has some power but he will kill a lever at some point as well.
    Downhill bikes tend to get crashed hard and fast (even with the best rider on board) which is why they are built strong so fitting light weight, fragile levers makes no sense.
  • Stu Coops
    Stu Coops Posts: 426
    Personally i don't know anybody that likes SRAM at least four guys i ride with have removed it from there bikes and gone to Shimano
    Zesty 514 Scott Scale 20 GT Expert HalfwayupMTB
  • The Rookie
    Very happy with the SRAM on my commuter, neat, light twist shift and fairly light X9 rear mech, mech needs the od lube to keep it shifting into top, but road grime can be insidious - been on 2 years now and circa 2000miles.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Weren't they talking brakes not gears?
  • The Rookie
    We were, but that's not what the post above mine says.....