Elite Fluid Trainer: Crono or SuperCrono?

spearmint_wino
spearmint_wino Posts: 109
edited January 2013 in Road buying advice
Hi

With all this rubbish weather and some training goals to achieve this year I'm going to bite the bullet and get a turbo. Anyone got experience of these to know how they compare? The BR review is a little confusing...

Thanks

Comments

• jameses
    jameses Posts: 653
    I borrowed a Crono off a friend when the snows came to stay last week (he has rollers, so never uses it). Don't have anything else to compare it to, but it does the job. Feels stable enough and provides enough resistance to give a deccent work out. Bit tedious being on a turbo, though, even with a movie on in front of me. Really hoping the weather improves soon!
  • Ive got an Elite Supercrono and its been superb. Rolls well, sturdy, no faults and i weigh near on 19stone, easily handles me and my power output.

They are both good trainers so i wouldnt worry about either one, just comes down to budget mate.
  • Thanks for the input. I can get either for a very similar price, hence the asking.
  • jordan_217
    jordan_217 Posts: 2,580
    I have this one:

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/elite-crono-hyd ... iner-Black

It's sturdy, smooth and relatively quite. I use mine in the conservatory and my Missus can't hear it in the adjoining kitchen. It's easy to set up out of the box and very easy to set-up for use. The resistance levels are good enough to get me hitting the required work load. I use a Conti trainer tyre so that may aid the low noise level.

Note, the unit itself raises the back of the bike quite high. A riser block won't raise you're front wheel enough to have the bike level. So be prepared to stack a yellow pages, old Next catalog or similar to get your bike level.
    “Training is like fighting with a gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired.”
  • paul64
    paul64 Posts: 278
    jordan_217 wrote:
    Note, the unit itself raises the back of the bike quite high. A riser block won't raise you're front wheel enough to have the bike level. So be prepared to stack a yellow pages, old Next catalog or similar to get your bike level.
    It will if you buy a CycleOps riser, I bought one as I agree with you that others are not high enough

http://www.cycleops.com/en/products/acc ... egory_id=8
  • edindevon
    edindevon Posts: 325
    For anyone who hasn't noticed, the Elite SuperCrono Power Fluid Turbo Trainer is currently £129.99 at Halfords online.

It looks like the deal may only be on until tomorrow though.

Edindevon
  • Wow, I was just about to come on and ask about these Turbos!

Was looking at the elite supercrono forte on chain reaction, but the reviews are not too clever.

Perhaps the Halfords jobbie would be a better bet.
  • edindevon
    In fact the price at Halfords is £119.99 as there's also a spend and save discount. It seems like this is the deal that ends tomorrow.

Edindevon
  • EdinDevon

Massive thanks for the heads up. That's a great price and I've just bought one! Went through Quidco too, so got 4% cashback on top of the £119. Brings it in under £115.

Now. Do i need to get a trainer wheel too? Any ideas/thoughts?
  • edindevon
    corriebee1 wrote:
    Now. Do i need to get a trainer wheel too? Any ideas/thoughts?

I don't know too much about this aspect of things, so you're best to look on the trainer sub forum here to get advice on this. That said, I know you don't need a special wheel and opinions vary as to whether you need to use a special trye.

Also just to point out that Halfords must have made a mistake with the price of the Elite SuperCrono Power Fluid Turbo Trainer, as they've now put the price up by nearly £100. So it certainly was a good deal for anyone who got one.

Edindevon