Bike Storage Rack at Work

hd_andy
hd_andy Posts: 28
edited January 2013 in Commuting general
Hi All,

Do your employers provide a bike rack at work?

Our company is offering to provide one, we're looking at this sort of thing - but I'm a bit concerned that it's not suitable for my road bike

http://www.bikedocksolutions.com/images/prod/ebr-main_main.jpg

Anybody have any suggestions of what to go for?

Comments

• schweiz
    schweiz Posts: 1,644
    Those types of rack are okay as long as everyone cares as much about your bike as you do! We have then at my main workplace and I've never had a problem but getting bikes in and out can be a pain when the rack is full, and I do worry about coming out to a buckled wheel. Also, there's always people who insist on putting their front wheel to one side and the stand (to avoid the wheel bending issue) and proping the bike on the side stand, thus taking up 2 or sometimes 3 places. :x :x :x

At another factory I visit, they have these 'Lenkerhaltesystem' stands and I prefer them:

http://www.berico.ch/download.php?file= ... 090122.pdf

http://www.berico.ch/de/fertigteile/fah ... ng_s01.htm

The disadvantage is that you can't really lock the bike to the stand, but on both types of rack I just put a D-Lock through the rear wheel and seat stays.

Sorry it's all in German but you may be able to find a UK supplier/manufacturer.
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    My current employers have a covered bike shed that can hold about 60 bikes if fully used on these stands.

racktypenew-main_main.jpg

They are embedded in the concrete and I use two locks, one on the front wheel and the other on the frame/rear wheel.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    redvee wrote:
    My current employers have a covered bike shed that can hold about 60 bikes if fully used on these stands.

racktypenew-main_main.jpg

They are embedded in the concrete and I use two locks, one on the front wheel and the other on the frame/rear wheel.

We have these as well... admittedly only 4 of them though. They work really well.
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • We're lucky here. We have 4 bike racks with capacity for around 80 bikes. All in a secure underground car park. So bike is dry and out of the way of thieving herberts. Not sure I would ever leave my bike on the streets in the City.
  • Mikey41
    Mikey41 Posts: 690
    We don't, my bike just leans against the wall in the corridor outside the canteen.
    Giant Defy 2 (2012)
    Giant Defy Advanced 2 (2013)
    Giant Revel 1 Ltd (2013)
    Strava
  • pdw
    pdw Posts: 315
    Those racks are commonly referred to as wheel benders. You also need a very long lock if you want to secure the frame.

Sheffield racks (like the one in redvee's pic) are generally considered the best option, but make sure there is enough space between. All too often people prioritise capacity over usability.

Sheffield racks are ok, but your bike will get scratched using them, and you make get tangled up in the bike on the other side of the stand.

Cambridge cycle campaign have a lot of good info here: http://www.camcycle.org.uk/resources/cy ... ing/guide/
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    pdw wrote:
    Sheffield racks are ok, but your bike will get scratched using them, and you make get tangled up in the bike on the other side of the stand.

I've covered that outcome by adding some innertube bumpers to the tops of the forks and seatstays where the stand meets the frame, only done one side as the pannier bag is on the other.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • hd_andy
    hd_andy Posts: 28
    Thanks for the advice, very useful.

There are only 3 or 4 of us that ride in, so hopefully carelessness shouldnt be too much of an issue.

Although it seems inevitable that where there are more than a few bikes there is a danger of them getting knocked about.

I think I might just continue to do what I have been and carry my bike up the stairs and park it next to my desk!
  • redjeepǃ
    redjeepǃ Posts: 531
    We have a rack where you hang up the wheel on a hook. It works well, but the bikes swing a bit in the wind. There's space for about a dozen bikes. I've only ever put an old commuting bike in there and wouldn't use it for my carbon bike.