How flat is the Ride London 100 likely to be?

Stedman
Stedman Posts: 377
As a comparison the Etape Caledonian is supposed to be hilly however I have average over 20 mph and I have ridden events in Lincolnshire which have been far from flat.

In order to assess my potential time for the event, how flat is Surrey?

Comments

• Tom_UK
    Tom_UK Posts: 171
    Surrey has a few hills, if they use the Olympic route they will use these Staples Lane which is a 5-8 min climb and Box Hill 6-8 minutes other then that its just undulating.
  • Scozz76
    Scozz76 Posts: 27
    Have any non charity entries been confirmed yet?
  • Scozz76 wrote:

I think the ballot entries will be advised on Feb 7th
    "You really think you can burn off sugar with exercise?" downhill paul
  • Stedman
    Tom,

Thank you for your response. Box Hill does not sound too bad; however my initial google enquiry on Staple Lane indicates that this has a 20% gradient at some stage which would greatly challenge the 38 x 23 gearing I was planning to use as this puts this into the Winnatts Pass category!

Is this correct?
  • dal105
    dal105 Posts: 31
    Staple Lane is nowhere near 20%, maybe kicks up to 10% in places, but its pretty short really - only ~2km from bottom to top, with about 100m of elevation gain.

An average rider (e.g. me) can do it in about 7 minutes.....

This is the profile that was recorded when the Tour of Britain went over it last year
    http://app.strava.com/activities/22257864#397825735

3654186546_76b76e8851.jpg
  • dal105 wrote:
    Staple Lane is nowhere near 20%, maybe kicks up to 10% in places, but its pretty short really - only ~2km from bottom to top, with about 100m of elevation gain.

This is the profile that was recorded when the Tour of Britain went over it last year

It's a pimple :-)
  • Stedman
    dal105 wrote:

It's a pimple :-)

Dal,

Thanks for your detailed information on this hill which means that I don’t need to change my 11-23 cassette.
  • I believe there's around 4,000 or so feet of climbing involved over the route. Staple Lane definitely won't be the toughest climb though.
  • I believe there's around 4,000 or so feet of climbing involved over the route. Staple Lane definitely won't be the toughest climb though.

This guy did the whole route but with just 4 laps of Box Hill instead of 9 - total ascenet 3592 feet. So with only one lap of Box Hill I can't see it coming in at 4000 feet.

http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/76212894

This guy did the whole route but with just 4 laps of Box Hill instead of 9 - total ascenet 3592 feet. So with only one lap of Box Hill I can't see it coming in at 4000 feet.

To be honest I have no idea, I've just based that on rides of the same route I've seen on Strava. I'm trying to get hold of a definitive map of the route as there doesn't appear to be one on the website.
  • Stedman
    I believe there's around 4,000 or so feet of climbing involved over the route. Staple Lane definitely won't be the toughest climb though.

To be honest I have no idea, I've just based that on rides of the same route I've seen on Strava. I'm trying to get hold of a definitive map of the route as there doesn't appear to be one on the website.

With 20,000 riders, I cannot see how the organisers will let us have 4 goes at Box Hill! I also suspect that they likely to keep the rest of the detour on the flatter side in order to speed up the times of the fun riders.
  • Stedman wrote:
    I believe there's around 4,000 or so feet of climbing involved over the route. Staple Lane definitely won't be the toughest climb though.

With 20,000 riders, I cannot see how the organisers will let us have 4 goes at Box Hill! I also suspect that they likely to keep the rest of the detour on the flatter side in order to speed up the times of the fun riders.

I think you're right.
  • Those Surrey hills..... Real killers! :D
  • young dog wrote:
    Those Surrey hills..... Real killers! :D

Alpe d'Box Hill - whisper its name :lol:
  • young dog wrote:

Just turning up on the day and riding. Don't need to go to all the fuss of entering . Wearing my USPS kit and a Lance mask. Go Lance :wink:
  • Stedman
    young dog wrote:
    young dog wrote:

Just turning up on the day and riding. Don't need to go to all the fuss of entering . Wearing my USPS kit and a Lance mask. Go Lance :wink:

We had two characters that did just soon after the start of last years 52 mile Great Manchester Cycle event. We nearly had a nasty pile up when a large group of us came around a bend at 20 mph and met these slow cyclists immediately in front of us.
  • Hmn... We won't be slow!
  • Neither will me or my riding partner. Don't you think the sportive scene is breeding a certain type? Why pay, so that some organisers can make loads of money?
  • Stedman
    Scozz76 wrote:

I have just checked the Ride London 100 web-site and the following message is now posted:

"You will be informed by the 15th of February 2013 of the outcome of your ballot application".

For whatever reason, it appears that they have moved the date again.
  • Stedman wrote:
    Scozz76 wrote:

I have just checked the Ride London 100 web-site and the following message is now posted:

"You will be informed by the 15th of February 2013 of the outcome of your ballot application".

For whatever reason, it appears that they have moved the date again.

Magazines were sent out yesterday, they then email everyone on the 15th so anyone who never got a magazine for whatever reason will find out for sure by then.

Why they couldn't have just emailed everyone anyway, I don't know. But people will start to find out from today.
  • moscowflyer
    moscowflyer Posts: 540
    edited February 2013
    The route can be seen here by the way;

http://www.prudentialridelondon.co.uk/P ... Routes.htm

Looks like Newlands Corner, Leith Hill and Box Hill (once) are as good as it gets in the Surrey Hills. 9 hours is the cut off point as well.
  • So, anyone worked out the total elevation yet?
  • Could an average rider who does about 15-16mph complete this easy enough? How difficult will this route be do you think?
    Also, do you think there will be fun riders doing it that wont take it so seriously? like the London Marathon
    It's about 1165m of elevation - not a lot of climbing over 160km. I don't know the area well but I do seem to remember some steep sections on Leith Hill.

I've drawn out an approximate route here. http://gb.mapometer.com/cycling/route_2739201.html
  • Well Rob Spedding of C+ did two thirds of the route and says his Garmin spat out 3,200 or so feet of elevation, but I don't think that included an incline past Wimbledon Common shortly after Box Hill, so I'm guessing 3,500 feet in total at least.

There's a nine hour cut of point so 11.1mph ave IF you were to do it all in one go without stopping. 15-16mph ave will see you through no problem, it's just whether you've got the legs to carry you around, most of the climbing doesn't start until the 60 or so mile mark I believe.

There will be lots of 'fun riders', it 'should' all be done in waves of expected finish times though, so the quicker riders start first.
    It's about 1165m of elevation - not a lot of climbing over 160km. I don't know the area well but I do seem to remember some steep sections on Leith Hill.

I've drawn out an approximate route here. http://gb.mapometer.com/cycling/route_2739201.html

Cross post. Cheers for that, pretty much ties in with what I thought then.
  • Well Rob Spedding of C+ did two thirds of the route and says his Garmin spat out 3,200 or so feet of elevation, but I don't think that included an incline past Wimbledon Common shortly after Box Hill, so I'm guessing 3,500 feet in total at least.

There's a nine hour cut of point so 11.1mph ave IF you were to do it all in one go without stopping. 15-16mph ave will see you through no problem, it's just whether you've got the legs to carry you around, most of the climbing doesn't start until the 60 or so mile mark I believe.

There will be lots of 'fun riders', it 'should' all be done in waves of expected finish times though, so the quicker riders start first.

Thanks mate.
  • Stedman
    Well Rob Spedding of C+ did two thirds of the route and says his Garmin spat out 3,200 or so feet of elevation, but I don't think that included an incline past Wimbledon Common shortly after Box Hill, so I'm guessing 3,500 feet in total at least.

Thanks mate.
    I get the impression that this course is only 60% of the elevation of the Etape Caledonian and it is possibly the same as the Great Nottinghamshire Bike 100 last year.
  • Stedman wrote:
    Well Rob Spedding of C+ did two thirds of the route and says his Garmin spat out 3,200 or so feet of elevation, but I don't think that included an incline past Wimbledon Common shortly after Box Hill, so I'm guessing 3,500 feet in total at least.

Thanks mate.
    I get the impression that this course is only 60% of the elevation of the Etape Caledonian and it is possibly the same as the Great Nottinghamshire Bike 100 last year.

I reckon it's about the same as the Etape Caledonia. The organisers massively overstate the amount of climbing in the Etape. My garmin recorded 1115 metres of ascent on the ride last year.
  • This is not a hard route -- I suspect the hard bit will be the sheer number if people as sections are very narrow particularly in Surrey where the pavement isn't great.

The first section to Surrey is undulating (if that) and frankly quite mundane if you're just doing it as a training ride. After box hill it really is just a fast fast run into London (fingers crossed a tail wind!), with a few minor rolling bits. On a pace line you'll fly.

Hill wise the steepest part is around leith hill -- and we're talking short climbs. Again my concern here is stupid reckless cyclists as its 2-3 across max assuming we have the entire lane.

I would be very surprised if this is even over 3500 feet.