Keeping new bike clean

redstar1
redstar1 Posts: 15
edited February 2013 in MTB beginners
Hi all,

Just picked up a Rockrider 8.1 2012 through Cyclescheme and couldn't be happier. On the cycle him it felt so much better than anything I've had before.

However I've never really taken proper care of any bikes I've had in the past, but am determined to change that.

What do you good folks recommend for cleaning? I commute 25 miles a day, mostly on roads and my 'old' bike picked up so much dirt and grime that the chain, deraileurs, cassettes etc became almost uncleanable... so a more proactive stance needed I suspect.

Also, I always have problems on new bikes with seat post not staying up. I notice that the post is covered in grease. I normally just wipe this off and tighten as hard as I can.. is there anything else I should be doing?

Cheers

Comments

• lc1981
    lc1981 Posts: 820
    redstar1 wrote:
    Also, I always have problems on new bikes with seat post not staying up. I notice that the post is covered in grease. I normally just wipe this off and tighten as hard as I can.. is there anything else I should be doing?

I wouldn't do that if I were you. The grease is there for a reason! If there's no grease then water will get in and before long you'll have a seatpost that is stuck in the frame. There's no reason the seat post should move if it is tightened properly.
  • tudj
    tudj Posts: 254
    There isn't much you can do to keep it clean while riding, I've had my bike covered in silly amounts of mud and grit and it always comes off, you just need to give it a proper wash when you get home. There's an article here explaining the basics.
  • Thanks.

I just can't get the seat post to stay. I've tightened the clamp as hard as I can but 2 or 3 small bumps later and my knees are at my chest!
  • Being a big lump, i sometimes get this problem, get some of this,

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=30012

clean the post and tube, apply some of this and it will stick lurvely. Also if its a quick release clamp, grease the pivot point, it makes one heck of a difference now much more torque you can get if its lubricated.
    My biggest fear is that should I crash, burn and die, my Wife would sell my stuff based upon what I told her I paid for it.
  • I have same problem on my RR8.1, slightest bit of dirt means an ineffective seat post clamp. Greasing the bushing does help, however I may replace it with a better one soon.

As far as cleaning goes, I find a pressure washer does a fantastic job. I just don't point it directly at the wheel bearings or fork stantion seals (or do it from a bit more distance). Followed by a bit of chain lube.

I got a Challenge pressure washer from Argos for £45, does the job fine.
  • The only thing I really take care of is the chainset.
    If you are as lazy as me, I would recommend getting a chain cleaning device, some degreaser and some lube.
    Degrease and declog the chain and cogs, rinse the degreaser off, wipe dry and then relube.

Everything else gets a quick clean with soapy water and some soft brushes (followed a couple of buckets of water to get rid of the soap).
    2007 Felt Q720 (the ratbike)
    2012 Cube Ltd SL (the hardtail XC 26er)
    2014 Lapierre Zesty TR 329 (the full-sus 29er)
  • nasha48
    nasha48 Posts: 231
    Agree, main focus on the chainset. My personal habit (to name but one) is to spray bike with diluted degreaser leave for 5, hose thoroughly without getting to close to those wheel hubs or bottom bracket, quick cloth over chain, direct spray of GT85 on chain + derailleur pivots. Only then do you put bike away and get changed/sit down/eat a horse. This way, your chain stays rust/gunk free and just needs a quick lube before you get on it next time. Obviously, it's not at all necessary to do this every day after your commute, I'd aim for perhaps twice a week depending on conditions. Get off-road with it, however, and you'll reap the benefits of doing this every time. Also, I can't recommend Fenwicks FS1 degreaser highly enough - get that over muc-off any day.
  • Some nice hints and tips,thanks.
  • ElliesDad
    ElliesDad Posts: 245
    Going back to the seat post clamp, don't be tempted to overtighten it as I did on one of my previous bikes. It didn't have a quick release clamp but I was a bit over zealous tightening it one day and the bolt stripped the nut and popped out!

If the seat won't stay at the correct height you could try taking it back to the shop as it could be a problem with the clamp or the post, I'm a fairly big lad hovering between 16 and 17 stone and never had a problem with the seat post dropping!
    2012 Boardman FS Team
    2014 Giant Defy 2
  • At the very very bottom of this page....

How to clean and lube your bike.
  • bowden769
    bowden769 Posts: 143
    Can i hijack this

what lube do people use ?
  • ElliesDad wrote:
    Going back to the seat post clamp, don't be tempted to overtighten it as I did on one of my previous bikes. It didn't have a quick release clamp but I was a bit over zealous tightening it one day and the bolt stripped the nut and popped out!

If the seat won't stay at the correct height you could try taking it back to the shop as it could be a problem with the clamp or the post, I'm a fairly big lad hovering between 16 and 17 stone and never had a problem with the seat post dropping!

Thanks for the advice all. Haven't made it to CRC yet but will pop in on saturday as I need mudguards as well. So far seatpost is staying put having been chalked. New bike is some machine... its nice having brakes that work again!
  • monlet
    monlet Posts: 6
    tudj wrote:
    There isn't much you can do to keep it clean while riding, I've had my bike covered in silly amounts of mud and grit and it always comes off, you just need to give it a proper wash when you get home. There's an article here explaining the basics.

Thanks Tudj - great article. I know it's quite simple to keep a bike clean but it's nice to know your'e doing it right!

Going to snap up a cleaning kit too - any suggestions?
  • Nasha48 wrote:
    Agree, main focus on the chainset. My personal habit (to name but one) is to spray bike with diluted degreaser leave for 5, hose thoroughly without getting to close to those wheel hubs or bottom bracket, quick cloth over chain, direct spray of GT85 on chain + derailleur pivots. Only then do you put bike away and get changed/sit down/eat a horse. This way, your chain stays rust/gunk free and just needs a quick lube before you get on it next time. Obviously, it's not at all necessary to do this every day after your commute, I'd aim for perhaps twice a week depending on conditions. Get off-road with it, however, and you'll reap the benefits of doing this every time. Also, I can't recommend Fenwicks FS1 degreaser highly enough - get that over muc-off any day.

Had my bike just over a year and been through a rear hub and a BB.... use a garden hose but clean it down 3 times a week after rides. I guess I've been over-doing it? From now I might just clean the chain and give the jockey wheels a wheels a wee skoot.

I use the FS1 too - grt stuff
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,098
    Nasha48 wrote:

Had my bike just over a year and been through a rear hub and a BB.... use a garden hose but clean it down 3 times a week after rides. I guess I've been over-doing it? From now I might just clean the chain and give the jockey wheels a wheels a wee skoot.

I use the FS1 too - grt stuff

Using a hose you might be blasting all the grease/lube/goose fat/etc out of the various moving parts, leading to damage to same. I always sponge and lightly brush my bikes when cleaning, never use a hose

It's just a hill. Get over it.