Emirates Cable Car

laughingcavalier
laughingcavalier Posts: 18
edited January 2013 in Commuting chat
I'm planning a trip to Excel and the route guide is suggesting I get the new cable car thingy across the Thames. Understandably it says "cycling on this section of the route is not permitted" - but can you take a bike on the cable car?

Comments

• PS About the time I was posting that I submitted a comment to the excel site suggesting they improve their cycle visitor's page - and just got this response.
    Quick work! I'm impressed

Hi

Thanks for your email. It’s always great to get feedback on our website.

Following your points I have amended the ExCeL London website to include a link to street map and also the postcode to be used for satellite navigation http://www.excel-london.co.uk/visiting- ... l-by-foot/

I hope that this will make it easier for cyclists planning their visit to ExCeL London.

I hope you enjoy your visit to the venue.

Regards,

Marketing Manager, Exhibitions and Digital
  • wgwarburton
    wgwarburton Posts: 1,863
    I'm planning a trip to Excel and the route guide is suggesting I get the new cable car thingy across the Thames. Understandably it says "cycling on this section of the route is not permitted" - but can you take a bike on the cable car?

Like so?
    p4pb3821072.jpg

Maybe they could be persuaded to fit their cars with racks?

From earlier material:
    *Cabins will also be able to accommodate wheelchairs and up to two bicycles

I don't know if that's been implemented?

Cheers,
    W.

PS It's a Gondola, not a Cable Car. Why does this irritate me so much?
  • Ah the nice chap from Excel even found the TFL page that tells me yes you can take a bike onthe Emirates "gondola".
  • Clarion
    Clarion Posts: 223
    True. You can get two (or maybe three, if the staff are being helpful) bikes in each gondola. And it's a pleasant ride, even in the high winds which were blowing when I crossed.

I rode to the Excel on Sunday to visit the Bike & Outdoor Shows. I didn't want to take a chance on the cable car working, but it was. Anyway, I'd come via the snow and ice of CS3 by that time.

The signage for cycle parking was non-existent, and the staff had no idea where to go. I ended up riding round underground car parks, and gave up, locking my bike to railings, and worrying that jobsworth security would have removed it by the end of the day.
    Riding on 531
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,628
    Rode to a trade fair (Ecobuild) at Excel last year. Was coming from Old Street, so the Cable car would have been a bit of a long way round, but probably still more pleasant than riding through the string of roundabouts and dual carriageway flyovers that span from the CS3 turn off to Excel itself. And yes, bike parking if there s any, is very well hidden, so I opted for railings outside the western entrance.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • cornerblock
    cornerblock Posts: 3,228
    MTFU

wallenda-record.jpg
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    MTFU

wallenda-record.jpg

Those handlebars are not connected to the fork..... :shock:
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,297
    Sketchley wrote:
    MTFU

wallenda-record.jpg

That's alright. I don't think he plans on turning left or right any time soon.
  • Veronese68 wrote:
    Sketchley wrote:
    MTFU

wallenda-record.jpg

That's alright. I don't think he plans on turning left or right any time soon.

Yeah but what if he wants to get into a tuck?

Actually this is typical of those ninja fixie riders. No helmet, hi-viz, lights, reflectors or even a bell. Doesn't he realise how dangerous cycling is in our cities? :roll:
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem