Anybody not in frothing rage over LA ?

dmclite-3.0
dmclite-3.0 Posts: 845
edited February 2013 in Pro race
Seems there is a lot of vitriol over LA and doping which I fully understand. What I don't get is that if you have a slightly different views or opinion from the majority, seems people get caned for it. Now I know posting on a public forum you are asking for the subject to be opened completely, just saying that when people on the forum say LA bullied and intimidated other people through his careerand that one of the reasons we hate him, are they themselves bullying and intimidating posters who offer a different take on LA.

Only asking through my experience on here, I know people will post on this and show me where I am wrong, but I am genuinely interested in a bit of retrospective viewing of the posting trends on this subject.
I don't mean to brag, I don't mean to boast, but I'm intercontinental when I eat French toast...

Comments

• mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,646
    saving face..sometimes your better off just going "yeah you were right I was wrong"

the internet has no restraint so bullying is common
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,237
    Most people who aren't frothing don't tend to post.

He's a panto villain and people get a bit overexcited.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    Not angry - just very disappointed...

You re not going to convince me he's been at all hard done by though. If he tells all to USADA, I'd be happy to let him bu**er off and not bother anyone again...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • TheStone
    TheStone Posts: 2,291
    Was anyone surprised? All this stuff has been out there for years.
    exercise.png
  • TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986
    Aah. Just what we need. Another thread on LA. FFS.
  • Monkeypump
    Monkeypump Posts: 1,528
    Good point, and in answer to your question, I'm not in a frothing rage at all.

As far as I'm concerned, he was a cheat in a field of cheats (with a very few exceptions). He just happened to be the guy who was a better racer AND a better cheater than the others so came out on top.

Someone on here recently said something along the lines of "he is hated so much because not because of what he did, but because he was an a55hole about it". I think there is some truth in that, but my take is he was just single-minded and swept all others aside. You can't be 'part' single-minded, and he kinda sums up the all-or-nothing mindset. You can't deny his unflinching determination to win, even if you question his methods.

Without going into the can of worms that is LiveStrong, there is no doubt he got cycling into the public eye more than any other rider and got lots of new people riding bikes.

The whole LA thing has divided opinion on here for years. With his admission of drug use, his detractors will feel vindicated and won't hesitate to ram the "told you so" message down everyone's throat. Those of us that accept it but don't want to see him hung, drawn and quartered will always be viewed as uninformed fanboys. But, hey, that's another thing I don't get in a frothing rage about!
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,215
    I'm not in a frothing rage. I'm just glad he's finally been caught and sanctioned and finally confessed (whatever his reasons). Time to forget him but learn from the experience and try to get the current and future generations to ride clean. I'm not naiive enough to think for a minute that we will ever have a 100% clean peloton but as long as the majority are (and in particular the big winners) I will be happy. But anything will be a big improvement over the 'EPO years'. I'd also like to see some of the non-riding people who were involved brought to book.
  • Trev The Rev
    Trev The Rev Posts: 1,040
    Seems there is a lot of vitriol over LA and doping which I fully understand. What I don't get is that if you have a slightly different views or opinion from the majority, seems people get caned for it. Now I know posting on a public forum you are asking for the subject to be opened completely, just saying that when people on the forum say LA bullied and intimidated other people through his careerand that one of the reasons we hate him, are they themselves bullying and intimidating posters who offer a different take on LA.

Only asking through my experience on here, I know people will post on this and show me where I am wrong, but I am genuinely interested in a bit of retrospective viewing of the posting trends on this subject.

That is something which is exaggerated on forums. Express a different opinion to the majority or even a small minority of senior posters who impose their views rigorously, and you are labelled a troll and abused. When you will not be bullied they try to get you banned.

For some reason people take things personally on forums - people need to lighten up and enjoy the banter.
  • ddraver
    No Trev, you re not a troll, you re an idiot...
    - @ddraver
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    Pross wrote:
    I'm not in a frothing rage. I'm just glad he's finally been caught and sanctioned and finally confessed (whatever his reasons). Time to forget him but learn from the experience and try to get the current and future generations to ride clean. I'm not naiive enough to think for a minute that we will ever have a 100% clean peloton but as long as the majority are (and in particular the big winners) I will be happy. But anything will be a big improvement over the 'EPO years'. I'd also like to see some of the non-riding people who were involved brought to book.

That.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • Aah. Just what we need. Another thread on LA. FFS.

Don't post on it then. Ignore it.FFS
    I don't mean to brag, I don't mean to boast, but I'm intercontinental when I eat French toast...
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,878
    Most people are beyond the frothy rage stage now.

His mocking apology to Betsy Andrieu was f*cking despicable though, the rest is bygones.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • I'm not. He is a convicted drugs cheat with a life time ban. He was bit of an arse too, OK slight understatement, a right arse.

Lets move on and enjoy this years racing, rather than backwards at not even a has been.
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • These things were pretty much known since the year 2000... so I really don't understand all this outrage... there are lots of bigots around and a few living in cuckooland... :twisted:
    left the forum March 2023
  • Squaggles
    Squaggles Posts: 875
    It shows the dangers of the hero worship of one man

over the top hero worship before , over the top anger now
    The UCI are Clowns and Fools
  • TMR

Shut it n00b. Just keep the LA posts to the LA thread, it's not rocket science.
  • dougzz
    dougzz Posts: 1,833

Oh no they don't..............
  • fidbod
    fidbod Posts: 317

^^^ This

he is a very naughty boy - whilst I would like to see the outcome of a full and frank disclosure from LA I am largely disinterested. Hence the almost total absence from the LA mega thread.
  • pat1cp
    pat1cp Posts: 766
    Why did the IOC go to the bother of taking his bronze medal off him. Have you seen who was on those podiums ? It's like a dopage who's who's.......

Not a Noob, my third regeneration on BR, ask Rick.

BTW who the fcuk do you think you are ? Ooh I know, a total cnut with a doper avatar. Trot along divvy.

Almost forgot, you have also posted in other (more than 1 :) ) LA thread so why you getting all huffy on this one ? Diddums not happy 'cos someone answers back ? Awwwwww, anyway, try not to be soselective in future, one rule for one and all that....... :|
  • ddraver
    I see dmclite 4.0 being needed in the near future...
    - @ddraver
  • More regeneration than Rocky
  • TMR
    BTW who the fcuk do you think you are ? Ooh I know, a total cnut with a doper avatar. Trot along divvy.

I think I'm your Daddy and I'm going to school you son! Keep mouthing off and you'll get a dry slap and no pocket money.

So you're 3rd generation? Why didn't you stay away after the first time? I see you have a burger as your avatar - does that mean you're a big fat cnut that eats too much? Can you even get off your bed? Is it specially strengthened to cope with your lardy @rse and the weight of the chip on your shoulder? :P

Oh, and you forgot to add 'Grumpy w@nker' to your list of insults. Try harder beeeeeeeatch! :P
  • TMR

Almost forgot, you have also posted in other (more than 1 :) ) LA thread so why you getting all huffy on this one ? Diddums not happy 'cos someone answers back ? Awwwwww, anyway, try not to be soselective in future, one rule for one and all that....... :|

Not at all. Tailwind is a nice guy and at least had the humility to take the mick out of himself. I love a good row on the Internet, so keep answering back fella - I've got plenty of ammo.
  • Meh. Lightweight.
  • dougzz wrote:

Oh no they don't..............

Very good. :D
  • dsoutar
    dsoutar Posts: 1,746

Not at all. Tailwind is a nice guy and at least had the humility to take the mick out of himself. I love a good row on the Internet, so keep answering back fella - I've got plenty of ammo.

Hmmm, who is right here ? As Harry Hill would say, "There's only one way to find out..."
  • ed_209
    ed_209 Posts: 17
    Pross wrote:

This sums up exactly how I feel about it. If the UCI could take a similar approach then things would get a lot better pretty quickly.
  • Ok, so the "Frothing rage", title may be a bit misleading, I just wanted to get peoples attention. I was only interested as it seems there are small chinks of, not sympathy, but people saying things are going too far, ie lawsuits over his book from a court in sacramento and peoples reaction to it.

I reckon it will go the way things tend to go in the US and he may come out of this vindicated and another sort of media hero if he and his people put enough spin on it. I don't think he is going away and I think if he gets sympathy from Oprah's viewers then he will have a whole new fanbase starting.