Tough mudguards?

alomac
alomac Posts: 189
edited January 2013 in Commuting general
I'm looking to get a set of full guards for my commuter, but I'm not sure how well they'd stand you up to the rough and tumble of crowded city bike racks, where the bike is frequently banged by/into other bikes, the rack itself and so on. Is there any brand of guard that's particularly resistant to this sort of treatment? Should I stick with clip- ons (less coverage, but have proved durable)? Am I worrying about nothing?

Comments

• MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    ditto
  • Have a set of SKS on the winter ride, though as old boots.
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • Hoopdriver
    Hoopdriver Posts: 2,023
    I have a 15 year old pair of SKS on my expedition tourer-winter bike. THey look old and ratty, and they are, but they still function. Very tough and hard wearing indeed...
  • Sks all day
  • I'm very impressed with my Tortec Reflector mudguards.
  • nigglenoo
    nigglenoo Posts: 177
    One even more durable alternative would be Gilles Berthoud stainless mudguards, which are much lighter than you might think, no real difference to Chromoplastics, as the stainless blade is quite thin and the stays are alloy. I have already gone through one set of Chromoplastics on my Genesis and replaced with Bontrager NCS which I picked up cheap as they had been returned to the LBS by another customer.

Normally expensive (£45+) but Planet X are selling them for £29.99 at the moment: http://www.planet-x-bikes.co.uk/i/q/FSG ... fender_set The web page says 60mm but they are not, I ordered a pair for my touring bike project and they are 40mm wide, as others on the CTC forum have also found. There is a thread about them on the CTC forum which I will find a link to if there is interest.

Succesful fitment depends a bit on tyre width and frame clearance though: what tyre size does this commuter have and how much clearance between frame/fork and tyre? They will not quite fit in the narrow clearances of a Genesis Equilibrium with 28mm tyres for example due to the rolled edge, but tons of room on a Claud Butler Dalesman frame with 32-35mm tyres.