Which bike ??

alibabameister
alibabameister Posts: 100
edited January 2013 in Commuting general
Greetings,
I am looking at starting to commute to work a few times a week, it's going to be around 33miles there and around the same back.
Unless someone else can suggest something else or point me in the right direction, as not done much road cycling before, just been mountain biking for a number of years so don't know that much about road bikes.

I've been thinking and looked at a specialized sectaur or would prefer roubaix, but also considering a planet x, ribble or focus. Looking for suggestions on which would be best and should I consider something else or have I got the wrong idea?

Cheers

AL

Comments

• father_jack
    father_jack Posts: 3,509
    I'd consider a tourer tbh. Mainly because they take mudguards. Road bikes generally do not.

I ride to work and a summer road bike is just that, can't see using it everyday in all weather.

If you're considering Ribble, look at the Ribble Winter/Audax Special Edition Road Bikes
    Say... That's a nice bike..
    Trax T700 with Lew Racing Pro VT-1 ;-)
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    It depends quite a bit what your focus is. 33 miles each way is quite a bit and, personally, I'd pick the quickest and easiest bike I can - which would be a road bike. I'd assume you'll not be carrying anything (take clothes other days of the week) so no need for panniers. I use a Zefal SwanR guard on the rear which keeps the crap off me when I'm road biking. If necessary you can get clip-on guards but I've never found them necessary. I use a road bike all year in the Scottish Highlands except for ice and snow. If you're determined to cycle in frozen conditions, you'll really needed studded tyres which means a road bike is out.

I have both the Focus Cayo and Focus Variado - both are good bikes.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    As always good advice from MRS.

another consideration is a Canyon, which are fantastic value for money.

But you cabt go wrong with a Focus (or basically anything German).
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    I've done long commutes on both racy and more tourer-orientated bikes and although the racier bikes are certainly a touch quicker I find the comfort of riding a lovely steel-framed audax bike with full-length mudguards and a fairly relaxed riding position to be without parallel for commuting pleasure.

I've had a Hewitt Chiltern and a Condor Fratello of that ilk and can highly recommend.