Meta 55 vs Superlight

ditchit
ditchit Posts: 44
edited January 2013 in MTB general
Before i buy!
Commencal Meta 5.5 vs Santacruz Superlight? I know Meta's frame cracking problems are pretty common but this iconic bike is still much cherished!
Anyone's wisdom appreciated!
Wil
'Dont waste your time like an idiot on Facebook. Instead, visit an outdoor enthusiast forum and waste your time in style!' Mahatma Ghandi

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Two very different bikes - one is a 140mm travel machine, the other a lightweight 100mm XC bike.
  • ditchit
    OK, Thought maybe the Superlight had more AM potential than just xc!
    'Dont waste your time like an idiot on Facebook. Instead, visit an outdoor enthusiast forum and waste your time in style!' Mahatma Ghandi
  • eric_draven
    eric_draven Posts: 1,192
    hi,have you thought about a santa cruz nickel,pretty simular to a meta 55,you will probably have to look for a second hand one,as i think they have stopped making them now,i do own one and they are fantastic
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    Both are very different bikes, you're better off comparing the Meta to a SC Heckler. The Superlight is a steep angled XC bike (and pretty basic too). The meta is a longer travel trail bike, which is what I'd have. Depends which year you get as to whether they have cracking problems, i think it was '08/'09 that had issues? From what I can gather, that's all in the past now.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • ditchit
    Eric hi, its just that theese 2 came up for grabs recently and just wanted to know what people thought, will look at the Nickel now too, cheers.
    ilovedirt, yeah had my heart set on a Meta5 really, but heard good things about the Superlight. I think of myself as a trailblaster really but these days where i live i'm basically XCing most of the time on the hills.
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    Up to you, I wouldn't touch the super light with a bargepole.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • dmorton
    dmorton Posts: 244
    My Meta goes up hills reasonably ok and is a blast down them, the slight climbing trade off is worth it

I think the cracking problem was sorted from '10 onwards..... I least that's what I hope!
  • I can only vouch for the commencal but id recommend one all day!
    Really brilliant bike, it has the versatility to do whatever you want, i converted mine to a double and bash for the downs but it still handles the ups brilliantly!
    The cracking was solved post 09 but if you read what they did not rectify the problem you cant really fault them (replaced bike with new frames no question asked)
    Enjoy whichever you go/went for!
    :D
  • ditchit
    Yeah, ithink its got to be a Meta 5. Hear so much about this iconic trail hooligan that i've gotta have one of my own :) Unfortunately the one in question has now sold so looking on Pink and Ebay as we speak. The carbon 2010 Meta 55 model was on there for 1200quid last month, i believe this model was the 2010 Mega Avalanche winning bike! That says a lot!